Fwd: Id Rhamnus species.

J.M. Garg

Jun 7, 2021, 2:34:53 AM6/7/21
to efloraofindia, Sunit Singh

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sunit Singh <botani...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 at 11:49
Subject: Id Rhamnus species.
To: J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

Respected sir, good morning.
Please check the attached images of the Rhamnus species, it is different from R. triquetra and virgata.

this one is edible, sweet in taste. locally called ANKOL, DANKOL.
Captured - Doda JK, also common in Kullu HP.
Alt. 800m asl. approx.

Thanks & Regards
Sunit Singh Chauhan
Ph.D. Research Scholar
Department of Botany
HNB Central University Garhwal Uttarakhand.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 15, 2021, 1:12:25 AM6/15/21
to efloraofindia, Sunit Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Yes, could not find a match as per existing species as per comparative images at Rhamnus

Rhamnus (4).jpg
Rhamnus (5).jpg
Rhamnus.. (3).JPG
Rhamnus.. (1).jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 15, 2021, 1:56:48 AM6/15/21
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Sunit Singh
Rhamnus persica Boiss. ??
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Sunit Singh

Jun 15, 2021, 2:15:27 AM6/15/21
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
yes sir it seems the same as per Herbarium specimen.

still waiting for confirmation.

Thanks & Regards
Sunit Singh Chauhan
Ph.D. Research Scholar
Department of Botany
HNB Central University Garhwal Uttarakhand.

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 15, 2021, 2:19:27 AM6/15/21
to Sunit Singh, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
OK. Please wait for other opinions !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Sunit Singh

Ashutosh Sharma

Jun 15, 2021, 5:22:45 AM6/15/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sunit Singh
Not Rhamnus it's Sageretia thea (Rhamnaceae) or if following powo it should be called Sageretia brandrethiana Aitch. Actually there are several other species known from Western Himalaya including two recently described one's from Uttrakhand but it's not possible to distinguish them easily just from images. Some of key distinguishing character like leaf serration and pubescence are actually highly variable when plants are observed in natural habitat (not in herbarium). See comments in Flora of Pakistan http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=250075379

Garg ji if we are following POWO i think we should change our site Sageretia thea page name to S. brandrethiana with Sageretia thea var. brandrethiana (Aitch.) Qaiser & Nazim as its synonym because S. thea distribution is not shown in India.

With best regards
Ashutosh Sharma
Research Scholar
MSc.R Plant Systematics, CCNR
TDU, Bengaluru

GOPAL SINGH Rawat

Jun 15, 2021, 8:39:57 AM6/15/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sunit Singh
Pls check Sageretia theezans (Rhamnaceae).

GS Rawat
---

J.M. Garg

Jun 15, 2021, 10:17:22 AM6/15/21
to Ashutosh Sharma, efloraofindia, Sunit Singh, GOPAL SINGH RAWAT, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Ashutosh ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 15, 2021, 10:18:29 AM6/15/21
to GOPAL SINGH Rawat, efloraofindia, Sunit Singh, Saroj Kasaju, Ashutosh Sharma
Thanks a lot, Rawat ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg