Yellow "Flame of the Forest"

Ravi Vaidyanathan

Mar 24, 2010, 2:14:37 AM3/24/10
to efloraofindia
Dear All

Came across this unique tree with Yellow flowers as compared to the
regular bright orange flowers of the Palash or the Flame of the Forest

This picture was taken at Seoni in Madhya Pradesh, next to the Pench
Tiger Reserve in the second week of March 2010

Regards

Ravi
--
-----------------------------
Ravi Vaidyanathan

DSC_4315.JPG

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 24, 2010, 2:28:33 AM3/24/10
to Ravi Vaidyanathan, efloraofindia
When I was at Seoni more than 3 decades back, I also saw yellow palash ahead of Barghat. Rawat the then dfo ( he later rose to be the PCCF) was with me , and when he told me about it, we turned back about 10 km. to enjoy the spectacle. Nehru had this plant in Teen Murty Bhawan. I dont know whether it is still there.
ak

Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blog has been added on 11 March 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 24, 2010, 2:34:25 AM3/24/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Ravi Vaidyanathan, efloraofindia
Anand ji,

 Useful Hindi link on Peela Palash.

http://aarambha.blogspot.com/2008/02/blog-post_11.html

Pankaj Oudhia

Pardeshi S.

Mar 24, 2010, 4:49:44 AM3/24/10
to efloraofindia
I have observed this plant at Bhandara district. there were people who
says there is one more variety known as SAFED PALASH ie white palash.
i wanna know is the yellow butea same as white or another form of
butea?

On Mar 24, 11:34 am, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anand ji,
>
>  Useful Hindi link on Peela Palash.
>
> http://aarambha.blogspot.com/2008/02/blog-post_11.html
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Anand Kumar Bhatt

> <anandkbh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > Anand Kumar Bhatt
> > A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
> > Gwalior. 474 005.
> > Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
> > My blogsite is at:
> >http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
> > (A new blog has been added on 11 March 10.)
> > And the photo site:
> >www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 24, 2010, 5:08:10 AM3/24/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
The Hindi link given by Pankaj has the reply to your query.
ak

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 24, 2010, 5:20:24 AM3/24/10
to efloraofindia
The yellow Palash is only a mutation of colour as I am told. I have
been gifted few saplings of 'Yellow' and 'white' Palash but I doubt if
they will produce unusual flowers. As I understand you can not
reproduce it, you can only protect and enjoy such rare mutations.The
dry orange flowers as they fall down turn yellow, and the yellow
flowers as they fall appear white. I have trekked several times in
remote jungles to see 'white' palash only to find yellow on tree and
white on ground. Regards, Shrikant

On Mar 24, 11:14 am, Ravi Vaidyanathan <ravi.vaidyanat...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  DSC_4315.JPG
> 430KViewDownload

Vedprakash Singh

Mar 24, 2010, 8:35:52 AM3/24/10
to ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr Vaidyanathan,

Surely another such tree is also found at a resort namely, Mowgli's Den near Turia Gate of Pench Tiger Reserve, Off. Khawasa (Nagpur-Jabalpur Rd.) where I was a resort manager few years back.

V P Singh
Secy. Cheetah Conservation Society, Nagpur.
>helping in trans location of Cheetah's in the forest of Vidarbha ( either Bor Sanctuary or Pench Tiger Reserve )
>bring out a Buttery Fly Conservation Park at Ambazhari Garden, Nagpur.
DSC_4315.JPG

tanay bose

Mar 24, 2010, 11:35:40 AM3/24/10
to Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
Butea monosperma (first and most known. It was previously called Butea frondosa)
This is further divided into 2 varieties-
Butea monosperma var. monosperma- the typical variety is the tree that we all see everywhere Butea monosperma var. lutea- yellow flowered Butea
The white flowered Butea is NOT raised to any variety level and should be considered just an aberration or variant  (not VARIETY- which is a taxonomic term ) of the typical species Butea monosperma var monosperma.

Regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Kenneth Greby

Mar 24, 2010, 12:35:14 PM3/24/10
to tanay bose, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
 I would suggest that seeds be procured of such colorforms and distributed to nurseries and individuals interested in maintaining these unusual colors. While all seeds are unlikely to generate the unusual colors, some are likely to generate like individuals, especially if such trees are isolated from red/orange flowered individuals. Here in the US, we have had good success growing yellow-flowered Delonix regia from isolated yellow-flowered trees. I suspect similar results can be achieved with Butea. Of course, grafting could be used to propagate plants with more certainty, though I'm not certain of the success rate on Butea.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Mar 24, 2010, 1:41:29 PM3/24/10
to Ravi Vaidyanathan, efloraofindia
Thanks Ravi ji for posting this. I think many of us have heard of yellow Palas but first time I am observing the nice clear photo.

Ravi Vaidyanathan

Mar 25, 2010, 12:25:26 AM3/25/10
to Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, Vedprakash Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ken

We are going again this April to the resort and I have sought their
support to collect as many seeds of this tree as possible and send it
across to us and also to plant some in the resort itself. I am also
lookin for a list of plants and trees that could be grown in this area
of Seoni which would attract most butterflifes and birds and provide
the details to the resort so that they can make a complete garden for
butterflies and birds

Looking forward to inputs from the treepics group on this

Regards

Ravi

http://www.google.com/profiles/ravi.vaidyanathan
-----------------------------

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 25, 2010, 3:32:18 AM3/25/10
to tanay bose, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
how about the Hindi article which says that white butea is a creeper?
ak

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 25, 2010, 3:40:03 AM3/25/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, tanay bose, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Small or medium sized trees- Butea monosperma.

Yellow flowers- Butea monosperma var. lutea.

Large woody Climbers

Flowers white, in 20-60cm long terminal panicle- Butea parviflora
Flowers scarlet or flame colored, in 20-30 cm long racemes- Butea superba.

(Source: Flora of Madhya Pradesh, Vol. 1. BSI)

Pankaj Oudhia

tanay bose

Mar 25, 2010, 8:05:42 AM3/25/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Anand ji,
Pankaj Ji resoursefully gave a beautiful answer with reference . Butea monosperma do have a very very rare white flower variety which is due to some genetic abberation and it's a tree. The climber you are refering to is Butea parviflora as said by Pankaj Ji.
Regards
Tanay

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 25, 2010, 10:37:27 AM3/25/10
to tanay bose, Pankaj Oudhia, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
I am thoroughly confused. Nobody has mentioned or seen a white butea monosperma TREE. Srikant ji has mentioned that the yellow ones look white when they fall down. You are right about Butea parviflora which was mentioned by Pankaj and in the Hindi article. I would be grateful to know if anybody has seen a WHITE butea monosperma Tree. I assure you that I will stand corrected.
ak

Kenneth Greby

Mar 25, 2010, 1:17:38 PM3/25/10
to Ravi Vaidyanathan, tanay bose, Vedprakash Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ravi--

 Good to hear that the tree will be propagated!

 As I'm here in the US, I will leave recommendations for additional bird and butterfly-attracting plants to local people more familiar with local conditions.

Best of luck--
Ken.

Mar 25, 2010, 1:45:37 PM3/25/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indian...@googlegroups.com, tanay bose, Pankaj Oudhia, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh
I had written I have seen white palash tree in Thane, flowering. I will check it out if it is still there. As it was in one private compound.
The person had cut it short which still was about 10 to 12 feet tall with thick stem.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Anand Kumar Bhatt <anand...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:07:27 +0530
To: tanay bose<tanay...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:30773] Yellow "Flame of the Forest"

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 25, 2010, 2:14:14 PM3/25/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, tanay bose, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Anand and Tanay ji,

  I have also heard about white flowered Butea tree. Once I visited to Nagpur and in Vardha road saw remains of two uprooted trees. I was told that one was yellow flowered Butea and another was white flowered Butea. The person claimed that Mr. Chandraswamy purchased both trees at very high price for Tantra activities. He came by special jet to Nagpur.

At the same spot I found yellow flowered Butea tree.

Pankaj Oudhia

tanay bose

Mar 25, 2010, 2:50:27 PM3/25/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Pankaj Ji,
I agree with you I too have seen this plant in Shantiniketan in Birbhum district of West Bengal couple of years ago during winters. At that time there was no flower on the plant hence I could not take a picture of it. It was located in a personal garden but our family friend told me that it was a wild plant and got into the personal estate when the person brought the land to build his bunglow. As described by him the flower looks same to that of normal "Palash-Ful" (Bengali for Butea monosperma) only that is bone white in colour. I never knew this plant could bear white flower this was the first time when I came to knew about the fact and I really got astronished.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 26, 2010, 1:19:18 PM3/26/10
to tanay bose, Pankaj Oudhia, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Thank you everybody.
ak

DHIREN PANIA

Apr 6, 2010, 2:55:13 PM4/6/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia
Dear Anandji,
I have photograph of White Palash,
One of my friend from MP has send three photographs.
with white flowers,with its   close up and full tree.
which may interest you.

regards
dhiren pania
White Palash_0007.JPG
White Palash_0011.JPG

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 6, 2010, 9:09:31 PM4/6/10
to DHIREN PANIA, efloraofindia
Thank you Dhirenji..
ak
(A new blogs has been added on 1 April and 11 March 10.)

Rohit Patel

Apr 7, 2010, 12:46:44 AM4/7/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, DHIREN PANIA, efloraofindia
May some edaphic characters influance it ????????
ROHITKUMAR M.PATEL
Asst. Project cordinator
(Grassland development)
AHKC unit,Sahjeevan
175, Jalaram Society,
Vijay Nagar
Bhuj Kachchh-  370001
Gujarat, India
www.sahjeevan.org
E-mail (2):-rohitpa...@yahoo.com
Mo.:- 09724337687

tanay bose

Apr 7, 2010, 12:48:30 AM4/7/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, DHIREN PANIA, efloraofindia

Dear Dhiren ji,
Thank you for sharing this lovely and rare photograph of white palash with all of us.
Regards
Tanay

roozbeh gazdar

Apr 7, 2010, 1:02:49 AM4/7/10
to efloraofindia
Thank you Dhirenji for pictures of the white palash.

After following discussions on this rare variant palash, I looked for any images that might be there on the internet, but could not find any.

Now your pictures clearly show the white flowers, sometimes with a faint yellowish tinge.

Roozbeh

Kenneth Greby

Apr 7, 2010, 1:20:42 AM4/7/10
to DHIREN PANIA, Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia
Dhiren--

 With your permission, may I post these photos to Tropical Flowering Tree Society website, with credit give to you, of course?

Regards--
Ken.

Apr 7, 2010, 1:21:52 AM4/7/10
to roozbeh gazdar, efloraofindia
Dear All
Butea monosperma white variant I've also seen growing in the Income tax office premises at Balaghat (M.P.).The old people has a belief that this variant is medicinally important for the treatment of leucoderma. Did you see any report from other places???. I'm not sure.
Dr. Satish Chile
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Kapil Sama

Aug 3, 2013, 4:12:29 AM8/3/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Anand Kumar Bhatt, tanay bose, Pankaj Oudhia, Vedprakash Singh, ravi.vai...@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, formp...@yahoo.com
just came across your post...can you update me about the white palash tree..plz..

tiwari

Dec 12, 2017, 3:36:58 PM12/12/17
to efloraofindia
रक्तः पीतः सितो नीलः कुसुमैस्तु विभाज्यते । 38।
IT has been quoted in ayurveda that there are four types of palash on the basis of different colours of their flower. they are red, yellow, white and blue.
                                                                                                                              DR APURVA PRIYADARSHI
                                                                                                                                         MD, PhD (BHU)

tiwari

Dec 12, 2017, 3:40:27 PM12/12/17
to efloraofindia
रक्तः पीतः सितो नीलः कुसुमैस्तु विभाज्यते । 38।IN ayurveda these four varities of palash has been quoted based on colour of their flowerws. they are red, yellow, white and blue.
                                                                  DR APURVA

tiwari

Dec 12, 2017, 3:44:53 PM12/12/17
to efloraofindia