Luffa echinata_Jan 2010_SSN 1

shubhada nikharge

Jan 12, 2010, 7:40:55 AM1/12/10
to indian tree pix
Hi,

Wish u all a very happy and green 2010.

I have posted dried fruits of Luffa echinata  (Bath Sponge )
Family : Cucurbitaceae
pics taken at Maharashtra Nature park, Mumbai in Jan 2010.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Luffa echinata Cucurbitaceae 2010_0110_MNP 42 e.jpg
Luffa echinata dry fruit Cucurbitaceae 2010_0110_MNP 25 e.jpg
Luffa echinata Cucurbitaceae 2010_0110_MNP 38 e.jpg

Swagat

Jan 12, 2010, 11:09:17 AM1/12/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Dear all,

'Luffa echinata' is called 'Kukadvel' 'कुकडवेल' / 'Kunjlata' 'कुंजलता' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

figtree

Jan 12, 2010, 11:37:09 AM1/12/10
to efloraofindia
So far my knowledge goes Luffa aegyptica (Syn. L. Cylindrica) is known
as Bath songe or Veg. sponge. It is used for scrubbing and cleaning
purposes, also used in packaging material, stuffing for pillows.
mattresses etc. Whereas, L. echinata has medicinal value, fruits
used in dropsy and bronchitis, and also in purgitives, but its use as
bath sponge is not known.

On Jan 12, 9:09 pm, Swagat <swagat1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> *'Luffa echinata' *is called *'Kukadvel' 'कुकडवेल' / 'Kunjlata' 'कुंजलता' *in
> Marathi.
>
> Regards,
>
> ~Swagat
> 9223217568
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­--------------------
>
> 2010/1/12 shubhada nikharge <shubhada_nikha...@yahoo.co.in>

> >  Hi,
>
> > Wish u all a very happy and green 2010.
>
> > I have posted dried fruits of Luffa echinata  (Bath Sponge )
> > Family : Cucurbitaceae
> > pics taken at Maharashtra Nature park, Mumbai in Jan 2010.
> > Cheers,
> > Shubhada
>
> > "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can
> > do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> --
> 'I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can
> do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do.' - Helen

> Keller- Hide quoted text -

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jan 12, 2010, 12:19:29 PM1/12/10
to efloraofindia
I bet if u use this for scrubbing during bath, U are surely going to
regret it :). I agree with Mr. FIGTREE, bath sponge is Luffa
aegyptica.
Regards
Pankaj

shubhada nikharge

Jan 12, 2010, 10:43:09 PM1/12/10
to figtree, efloraofindia
Thanx very much for the correction.
what is the common name (English) of L. echinata ?
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

> 'I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can
> do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do.' - Helen
> Keller- Hide quoted text -

Dinesh Valke

Jan 13, 2010, 12:15:21 AM1/13/10
to shubhada nikharge, figtree, efloraofindia
Dear Shubhada, here are all the names that I could compile (many thanks to Swagat for additional Marathi names) :

... bitter luffa, bristly luffa, rag gourd • Bengali: deyatada • Hindi: बिन्दाल bindaal, घागरबेल ghagarbel, ककोड़ा kakora • Kannada: ದೈವದಾಳಿ daivadaali • Marathi: देवदाली devadali, देवडांगरी devadangari, कुकडवेल kukadvel, कुंजलता kunjalata • Sanskrit: जीमूतः jimuta • Tamil: பேய்ப்பீர்க்கு pey-p-pirkku • Telugu: panibira • Urdu: بندال bindaal

Regards.