[efloraofindia:35055] Nelumbo nucifea -white lotus

Rashida Atthar

May 17, 2010, 11:03:17 AM5/17/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This beautiful flower and fruits of Nelumbao nucifera- white lotus were seen at Shahpur, Mah., last week of March, '10.

regards,
Raahida.

Nelumbo nucifera white lotus.JPG
Nelumbo nucifera fruitflowers.JPG

tanay bose

May 17, 2010, 11:15:53 AM5/17/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Great catch Rashida ji

 The Plant has its roots firmly in the mud and sends out long stems to which their leaves are attached. The leaves are sometimes, and flowers always, raised above the water surface. The beautiful and fragrant flower opens in the morning and petals fall in the afternoon. The fruits are a conical pod with seeds contained in holes in the pod. Nucifera means "having hard fruit". When the seeds are ripe, they become loose in the pod. The pod then tips down towards the water, releasing the seeds. The Lotus grows best in calm freshwater and blooms year round in SingaporeUses as food: The seeds are eaten; unripe and raw, or ripe and cooked. They are a popular ingredient in local desserts like "cheng teng". The rhizomes are also eaten. These are long sausage shaped with hollow portions and are connected like sausages on a string. They are boiled in soup; candied as a dessert; or pickled. The petioles and young roots are also eaten. The large circular leaves may be used to wrap food such as in lotus rice. The plant has been cultivated in China since the 12th century BC. Traditional medicinal uses:The rhizomes or leaves are used with other herbs to treat sunstroke, fever, diarrhoea, dysentery, dizziness, vomiting of blood, haemorrhoids. The whole plant is used as an antidote to mushroom poisoningSeeds: The embryonic seeds for high fever, cholera (Chinese), nervous disorders and insomnia; the seeds to stop vomiting, relieve indigestion and diarrhoea or just as a tonic. Flowers: pounded petals for syphilis; for cosmetic unguents (Java); the flower stalk with other herbs to treat bleeding from the uterus. Fruit: the pods contain alkaloids that stop bleeding

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

May 17, 2010, 11:17:34 AM5/17/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Graceful  plant and nice photographs

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

R. Vijayasankar

May 17, 2010, 10:19:59 PM5/17/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Very beautiful flower, Nice exposure! Thanks Rashida ji for sharing.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Dinesh Valke

May 18, 2010, 1:26:16 AM5/18/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nelumbo nucifera, native to India, south-east Asia ... is commonly known as: Indian lotus, lotus, oriental lotus, sacred lotus • Assamese: পদম padam • Bengali: কমল komol • Gujarati: motunkamal • Hindi: कमल kamal, कन्वल kanwal • Kannada: ತಾವರೆ tavare • Malayalam: താമര tamara • Manipuri: থম্বাল thambal • Marathi: कमळ kamal • Oriya: ପଦମ padam • Sanskrit: अम्बुज ambuj, कमल kamala, पद्म padma, पंकज pankaja, सरसिज sarsija, शारदा sharada • Tamil: அம்பல் ambal, தாமரை tamarai • Telugu: తామర tamara • Urdu: نیلوفر nilufer

Regards.

Rashida Atthar

May 18, 2010, 6:50:19 AM5/18/10
to Dinesh Valke, R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot  Tanay ji  for the wonderful info. on this plant.  Thanks Dr. Gurcharanji, Dr. Vijayasankar ji and Dinesh ji  for the appreciation and info.

regards,
Rashida.

Narendra Joshi

May 21, 2010, 6:37:58 AM5/21/10
to Rashida Atthar, Indiantrees

Beautiful flowers ! Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Narendra Joshi

Usha Desai

May 21, 2010, 8:30:17 AM5/21/10
to Narendra Joshi, Rashida Atthar, Indiantrees
Beautiful photographs.
Pollination in lotus is interesting.The lotus increases its temperature to30 or 36 degree celsius[even if surrounding air is at 5degree]... to extend hospitality to its pollinator beetle.
The beetles to fly need to increase its temp to 30 degree celesius by shivering violently.This requires heat and energy.How much nicer to land on the lotus which is at 30 to 35 degree.The beetle could eat,digest,mate without any work.IT GETS IMPRISONED AT NIGHT....by morning flower opens....it is already pollinated by the beetle..and beetles too had roti,kapada,makan during the cold night...by morning it has enough heat to fly off.
so both the lotus and lotus benefit...this is coevolution.
Usha Desai

Madhuri Pejaver

May 22, 2010, 9:09:40 AM5/22/10
to tanay bose, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Might not be correct  but what i have heard was when we say lotus it is the red colour large flower.
otherwise it is water lily . Is it true?
Madhuri

May 22, 2010, 9:14:01 AM5/22/10
to Madhuri Pejaver, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Madhuri ji  Nelumbo is lotus comes as white and the more commonly seen Pink one. The lily is called Nymphae lotus. Have pics of the same am posting separately.

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

May 22, 2010, 10:56:36 AM5/22/10
to Rashida Atthar, Madhuri Pejaver, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Madhuri ji
We may have lot of red flowers in Nymphaea, pinkish in Nelumbi, but what separates the two genera are the leaves. They are rounded in Nelumbo without any cut, where as there is a distinct cut (sinus) in the species of Nymphaea. Nelumbo also has a enlarged spongy torus in fruit with imbedded seeds.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 22, 2010, 10:58:24 AM5/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, Madhuri Pejaver, indian...@googlegroups.com
thanks Sir Ji for pointing out the differences this will really help all to differentiate the genus
Tanay

Madhuri Pejaver

May 22, 2010, 11:03:02 AM5/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Gurucharanji and Tanayji for all the info. thanks for the charcol photos too. Was not knowing about it.
thanks again to all for beautiful photos and information
Madhuri

May 22, 2010, 11:04:05 AM5/22/10
to Madhuri Pejaver, Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Madhuri Ji, Nice to know it was informative for you.
Tanay

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 23, 2010, 2:02:40 AM5/23/10
to tanay bose, Madhuri Pejaver, Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
LOTUS IS A LARGE FLOWER AND GENERALLY ONLY PINK VARIETY IS SEEN WHICH IS USED AS OFFERING TO GODS. I REMEMBER ONE OF MY BENGALI FRIENDS IN ALLAHABAD USED TO GO VILLAGES DURING JANMASHTAMI IN SEARCH OF LOTUS FOR USE IN PUJA. IT HAS BROAD and large PETALS. Whereas in lily the petal is narrower. In Hindu literature and mythology rakta kamal, peet kamal, neel kamal are mentioned which in my opinion are lilies and not lotus.
They say that lotus flower opens in the morning and kumud (lily) in the night when the moonloght falls on it. I think it can be confirmed by the experts. I remeber that once during the university days I got hold of a water lily bud and put it in a glass of water in my room just under the light bulb which was bluish (or milky).  The bud was resting on two nails which I pushed in the wall. After some time it bloomed. These small incidents get stuck in your memory.and you fondly remember them from time to time.
Then there is the story of bumblebee (bhaunra, bhramar, madhukar) which gets stuck in the lotus flower in the night and can come out only in the morning when the flower blooms. At least this has been found to be true for makhana flower which is abundant in north Bihar in the Maithil areas. Obviously nature's way of pollination, giving rise to all the stories of love and attachemt between the bumblebee and the lotus.
ak.
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 2:22:12 AM5/23/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Madhuri Pejaver, Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Great set of Information Anand Ji
Tanay

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 23, 2010, 11:00:06 AM5/23/10
to tanay bose, Madhuri Pejaver, Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
To suppport the point made by me and the info given by Dr. Gurcharan Singh, here are a few photographs. they have been taken mainly from Flowers of India. I hope Mr Tabish would not mind as it is only for academic purpose.
ak
lotus_pink-1.jpg
lotus_3-1.jpg
lotus_5-1.jpg
Water lily bud_white_with leaves-1.jpg
Water lily_blue_neel kamal-1.jpg
Water lily_pink_Rakta kamal-1.jpg
Water lily_red_Rakta kamal-1.jpg
Water lily_white-1.jpg
Water lily_yellow_peet kamal--1.jpg

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 1:43:17 PM5/23/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Madhuri Pejaver, Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice compilation Anand Ji
Tanay

Madhuri Pejaver

May 24, 2010, 7:50:43 AM5/24/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir
Thank you very much. You have made my question clear. Then according to the discription of Gurucharanji Nymphea is Lotus and what leaf discription he has given about Nilumbo will be waterlily. In the photos also we can see the disected leaf  of water lily.
I do have one or two photos of water lily, if time permits will send
Thanks to all
Madhuri

May 24, 2010, 8:33:51 AM5/24/10
to Madhuri Pejaver, Anand Kumar Bhatt, tanay bose, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Madhuri ji
Leaf without cut (sinus) and swollen torus are two important features of Lotus, which differentiate it from Water lily Nymphaea. This is what I had written earlier also. Anand ji has shown you so many of water lily in which leaf cut is clearly visible and there is no swollen spongy torus. Here are more for lotus (in lotus leaves are raised much above water, not generally in water lily):

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Pejaver

May 24, 2010, 8:41:25 AM5/24/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Anand Kumar Bhatt, tanay bose, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes sir it was very clear to me. did i write aything wrong? if so really sorry about it.
actually i have also thanked Anand ji for making my point clear.
but thanks for futher links
again sorry if send a wrong posting
madhuri