Garden Plant for ID. 161109 SS 1

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Nov 16, 2009, 3:23:37 AM11/16/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This plant is in my garden.Request Id please,
Suvarna
DSC03181.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Nov 16, 2009, 3:32:10 AM11/16/09
to Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
... a guess: Pilea species ?
Regards.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Suvarna Sarpotdar <suvarna....@gmail.com> wrote:
This plant is in my garden.Request Id please,
Suvarna

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 16, 2009, 7:31:56 AM11/16/09
to Dinesh Valke, Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com
I suppose Pilea microphylla

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Nov 16, 2009, 8:24:52 AM11/16/09
to indiantreepix

Yes, Pilea microphyla, Gurcharan sir is always right, but what is
interesting is, on wikipedia I found that it is called GUN POWDER
PLANT or ARTILLERY PLANT.
I imagine why?
A WEED IN AMERICA, BUT PLANTED IN GARDEN IN INDIA!!
Pankaj

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Nov 16, 2009, 9:45:35 AM11/16/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh
Thank you
Suvarna

Nov 16, 2009, 11:19:23 AM11/16/09
to Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Pankaj ji
This is what I found from Manual of cultivated plants by L. H. Bailey (I managed to buy an old copy while in California last month). The staminate flowers open forcibly in a sunny place, with an artillery-like discharge of pollen.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Nov 16, 2009, 11:30:55 AM11/16/09
to indiantreepix

Thanks a lot for the information sir.
This is what my dearest friend Navendu would have said, "WOW, DEADLY
MAN!!".
Pankaj

Swagat

Nov 17, 2009, 2:17:02 AM11/17/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Dear all,

'Pilea microphyla' have a appropriate name in Marathi. It is called 'Visphoti' 'विस्‍फोटी' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 17, 2009, 6:45:41 AM11/17/09
to Swagat, Suvarna Sarpotdar, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Swagat ji
After all you found out its Marathi name. I did not have any local name.