Ipomoea?? 241110-PKA1

Prashant awale

Nov 24, 2010, 11:14:25 AM11/24/10
to indiantreepix

Dear Friends,
I had come across this climber at the outskirts of Mumbai.

Date/Time: 22-11-2010 / 08:50AM
Location: Mumbai
Habitat: Wild
Plant Habit: Climber

Flower: Corolla: 2cm dia, Corolla tube 1cm, Pedicel:  8mm

Leaf: Petiole 2 cm, leaf lobed 5 cm long.

regards
Prashant

IMG_1835.jpg
IMG_1834.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg
IMG_1842.jpg
IMG_1827.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

Nov 25, 2010, 4:40:29 AM11/25/10
to efloraofindia
This seems to be I. marginata but purple blotches on leaf are missing.
Regards, Shrikant
> *Prashant*
>
>  IMG_1835.jpg
> 135KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1834.jpg
> 132KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1841.jpg
> 188KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1842.jpg
> 128KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1827.jpg
> 198KViewDownload

Prashant awale

Nov 25, 2010, 6:10:43 AM11/25/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear Shrikant Ji,
It does looks like I. marginata except for  the purple blotches on the leaf  which i could not spot. If i remember correctly, Dinesh has also seen this some where in Thane region.
regards
Prashant

Dinesh Valke

Nov 25, 2010, 9:43:47 AM11/25/10
to Prashant awale, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
... yes, as said by Prashant, this plant grows in few locations in my neighbourhood.
A feature of I. marginata that is normally seen is ... the flower is almost never solitary ... it is accompanied by at least another bud or two.
Also this plant has its leaf and flower slightly larger to those of I. marginata.

Regards.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Nov 26, 2010, 4:55:11 AM11/26/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Prashant and Dinesh,

Blotches on leaves, flower size or number of flowers are not the key
characters for I. marginata. Sepals obtuse, corolla hypocrateriform
and seeds with long hairs are the key characters. In the present
situation it looks to be I. marginata unless you find anything
contarary. Regards, Shrikant

On Nov 25, 7:43 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... yes, as said by Prashant, this plant grows in few locations in my
> neighbourhood.
> A feature of *I. marginata* that is normally seen is ... the flower is
> almost never solitary ... it is accompanied by at least another bud or two.
> Also this plant has its leaf and flower slightly larger to those of *I.
> marginata*.

J.M. Garg

Dec 15, 2010, 7:32:29 AM12/15/10
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dinesh Valke, Ron_Convolvulaceae, Tabish

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“This seems to be I. marginata but purple blotches on leaf are missing.
Regards, Shrikant”

It does looks like I. marginata except for  the purple blotches on the leaf  which i could not spot. If i remember correctly, Dinesh has also seen this some where in Thane region.
regards
Prashant”

“... yes, as said by Prashant, this plant grows in few locations in my neighbourhood.
A feature of I. marginata that is normally seen is ... the flower is almost never solitary ... it is accompanied by at least another bud or two.
Also this plant has its leaf and flower slightly larger to those of I. marginata.” from Dinesh ji.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

IMG_1835.jpg
IMG_1834.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg
IMG_1842.jpg
IMG_1827.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 5, 2011, 12:44:18 AM1/5/11
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, Ron_Convolvulaceae

Some earlier relevant feedback:
“This seems to be I. marginata but purple blotches on leaf are missing.
Regards, Shrikant”

“It does looks like I. marginata except for  the purple blotches on the leaf  which i could not spot. If i remember correctly, Dinesh has also seen this some where in Thane region.
regards
Prashant”

“... yes, as said by Prashant, this plant grows in few locations in my neighbourhood. A feature of I. marginata that is normally seen is ... the flower is almost never solitary ... it is accompanied by at least another bud or two. Also this plant has its leaf and flower slightly larger to those of I. marginata.” from Dinesh ji.

"Blotches on leaves, flower size or number of flowers are not the key
characters for I. marginata
. Sepals obtuse, corolla hypocrateriform
and seeds with long hairs are the key characters. In the present
situation it looks to be I. marginata unless you find anything
contarary. Regards, Shrikant"

Jan 24, 2011, 5:57:03 AM1/24/11
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Vijayasankar Raman, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
[...]

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Jan 25, 2011, 4:36:48 AM1/25/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Vijayasankar Raman, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
Ipomoea obscura

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Jan 28, 2011, 1:05:28 AM1/28/11
to efloraofindia

On Jan 25, 4:36 am, sheetal chaudhari <sheetalbot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Ipomoea obscura*
>
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.
> > Some earlier relevant feedback:
> > “This *seems to be I. marginata* but purple blotches on leaf are missing.
> > Regards, Shrikant”
>
> > “It does looks like I. marginata except for  the purple blotches on the
> > leaf  which i could not spot. If i remember correctly, Dinesh has also seen
> > this some where in Thane region.
> > regards
> > Prashant”
>
> > “... yes, as said by Prashant, this plant grows in few locations in my
> > neighbourhood. A feature of I. marginata that is normally seen is ... the
> > flower is almost never solitary ... it is accompanied by at least another
> > bud or two. Also this plant has its leaf and flower slightly larger to those
> > of I. marginata.” from Dinesh ji.
>
> > "*Blotches on leaves, flower size or number of flowers are not the key
> > characters for I. marginata*. Sepals obtuse, corolla hypocrateriform
> > and seeds with long hairs are the key characters. In the present
> > situation it looks to be I. marginata unless you find anything
> > contarary. Regards, Shrikant"
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Hello,

I think the plant in question is likely to be Ipomoea marginata ,
although I have some reservations.

Ipomoea marginata may have hairs on the leaves and stems or it may be
glabrous.

The leaf shape may be cordate or can vary to an almost sagittate
shape.

The purple blotches are not a requirement and are likely a response to
intense sunlight or other environmental factors.

I do see a difference in the coloration in the tube and throat which I
see as atypical in addition to a difference in the length and taper of
the tube.

The corolla measurements and tube characteristics are always important
whether mentioned as a key characteristic by any author or not...some
contemplation on this might be in order...

I also notice that the petiole on this plant has some stoloniferous
protrusions ( most visible in the 4th photo ) that are worthy of
notice and are not often seen in photos Ipomoea marginata.

Hope my observations may be of some value...

regards,

Ron

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 28, 2011, 1:20:42 AM1/28/11
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia
Ron
It is nice to read detailed responses from you. It surely enriches our knowledge.