[efloraofindia:35652] NATIVE :: Arecaceae (palm family) » Borassus flabellifer

Dinesh Valke

May 23, 2010, 12:07:21 AM5/23/10
to efloraofindia
Arecaceae (palm family) » Borassus flabellifer (syn. Borassus flabelliformis)

bor-RAS-us -- from the Greek borassos, referring to the date palm's flower spike
fla-BEL-lif-er -- fan-bearing

commonly known as: African fan palm, borassus palm, doub palm, great fan palm, lontar palm, palmyra palm, ron palm, tala palm, tal-palm, toddy palm, wine palm • Bengali: তাল taala • Gujarati: તાડ taad • Hindi: ताड़ taada, ताल tala, त्रृणराज trinaraaj • Kannada: ಓಲೆಗರಿ olegari, ತಾಳೆಗರಿ taalegari, ತಾಟಿನಿಮ್ಗು taatinimgu • Konkani: इरोळ eroal • Malayalam: കരിമ്പന karimpana • Marathi: ताड taada • Sanskrit: महातः mahatah, तलः or तालः talah, तन्तुनिर्यासः tantuniyosah, तृणम्केतुः tranam-ketuh, तृणम्राजः tranam-raj, तृणम् इन्द्रः trnam-indrah• Tamil: தாலம் talam • Telugu: తాటి చెట్టు tatichettu • Urdu: تاڙ taad

Native to: tropical Asia

 • Wikipedia ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borassus_flabellifer
 • NPGS / GRIN ... http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?7425
 • M.M.P.N.D. ... http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Borassus.html
 • DDSA ... http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Talam (Tamil: தாலம்) is the State Tree of Tamil Nadu, India.

Views attached from:
... Bassein fort
... Vaghbil, Thane

For more views: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Borassusflabellifer&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags&z=m

2112120895_f9c266609f_b.jpg
1128939018_b0cfa69ea9_b.jpg
3166720497_6a94f12283_b.jpg
1127249840_2e49b6bb51_b.jpg

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 12:13:52 AM5/23/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Nice catch of the plant ...
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

R. Vijayasankar

May 23, 2010, 12:22:52 AM5/23/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,

According to an old Tamil literature, there are more than 800 uses recorded for this multipurpose tree (Ref. Mabberley, The Plant Book).

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 2:04:03 AM5/23/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks for the extra bit pof informations Vijaya ji.

Tala is a palm attaining a height of about 30 m, with a black stem of crowned leaves at the top. Leaves are 0.9-1.5 m in diameter, palmate and fan shaped. Flowers unisexual, male spadix branched, female spadix simple. Fruits large,sub globose drupes, on the greatly enlarged perinath.

Parts used: Root, leaves, inflorescences and fruits

Ayurveda recommends Tala in hyperdipsia, burning sensation, Strangury, inflammation, hiccough, hyperacidity, heart burn, fever, spleen enlargement, liver enlargement, skin diseases, hyperdipsia, flatulence, colic, constipation,intestinal worms, general debility, leprosy, skin diseases, piles and vitiated conditions of Pitta and Vata.

Properties (Ayurveda)

Taste

Sweet

Quality

Cool, laxative, sedative, depurative, stomachic, aphrodisiac and tonic

Potency

Cool

After digestion effect

Sweet

Special action

Vitiated conditions of Vata and Pitta

Useful conditions

Hyperdipsia, burning sensation, strangury, inflammation, hiccough,hyperacidity, heartburn, fever, spleen enlargement, liver enlargement,skin diseases, hyperdipsia, flatulence, colic, constipation, intestinal
worms, general debility, leprosy, skin diseases, piles and vitiated conditions of Pitta and Vata

Therapeutic uses:

  1. The sugar prepared from this plant is good for cough and pulmonary affections.
  2. The juice obtained from the spadix is a good laxative and useful for inflammatory affections, dropsy, burning sensation and gonorrhoea.
  3. Ayurveda recommends root decoction for gastritis and hiccough.
  4. Ashes from the flowering stalk are a known medicine for spleen diseases and liver enlargements.
  5. Ayurveda recommends the bark decoction as gurgle for mouth and dental problems and the stem charcoal as tooth powder.

Tanay

Pankaj Oudhia

May 23, 2010, 2:24:10 AM5/23/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks for additional information.

 I feel that one must add the source of such information while mentioning it. Source of this material is

http://www.divinewellness.com/ayurveda-Article/231/borassus-flabellifer.htm

When this information will go in Eflora India database as reference the readers can get clear impression that which matter is originally contributed by the members and which matter is taken from web.

Repetition of same material in web is unnecessarily creating extra load. Google is engaged in clearing it. In Google Knol they clearly mention that whether contributed material is original or present in web somewhere. I have read that there is plan to keep first reference and hide duplicates.

Many of the materials we use like this violates copyright rules. Many databases receive legal notices for violating rules regularly. I feel that we must protect our database from such legal problems. Last week an official database from Thailand deleted my article taken without quoting the source. This article was from Ecoport. They replied that one of their contributors has mentioned it and hence it is not their fault. But under legal frame the database owners are equally responisible. Hence we must be careful.

We give much emphasis on writing authority in botanical names then why we ignore it while quoting other's academic contibutions???

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 7:38:22 AM5/23/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj Ji,
Very well said and explain throughly, I will always make a point to consider your words while posting.
Regards
Tanay