Tree for id 270110MK2

Muthu Karthick

Jan 27, 2010, 6:42:17 AM1/27/10
to indiantreepix

Dear all,
Please id this large tree common in the dry deciduous forests of Satyamangalam forests. This is also found in the BRT WLS of Karnataka.
Sorry, I could not reach the fruits as it is far.

In tamil, it is called as Siru-Vengai
Date: 22 Jan 2010
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Dinesh Valke

Jan 27, 2010, 7:09:32 AM1/27/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Muthu ji, search by Siru-Vengai in Tamil dictionary led me to following:
சிறுவேங்கை ciru-venkai, n. < id. +. Thorny blue-druped featherfoil. See மலை வேங்கை.
மலைவேங்கை malai-venkai, n. < id. +. Spinous kino tree, l. tr., Bridelia retusa

... the leaves do look like that of Bridelia retusa.

Regards

Nudrat

Jan 28, 2010, 12:11:29 AM1/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hello,

The leaves are too thick to be those of Bridelia retusa. The fruits of
Bridelia also are never of the colour as those seen in the picture. My
guess is that it is some Ficus. However its just a guess.

On Jan 27, 5:09 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Muthu ji, search by Siru-Vengai in Tamil dictionary led me to following:
> சிறுவேங்கை ciru-venkai, n. < id. +. Thorny blue-druped featherfoil. See மலை
> வேங்கை.

> மலைவேங்கை malai-venkai, n. < id. +. Spinous kino tree, l. tr., *Bridelia
> retusa
>
> *... the leaves do look like that of *Bridelia retusa*.
>
> Regards

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> > Please id this large tree common in the dry deciduous forests of
> > Satyamangalam forests. This is also found in the BRT WLS of Karnataka.
> > Sorry, I could not reach the fruits as it is far.
>

> > In tamil, it is called as *Siru-Vengai*

> > Date: 22 Jan 2010
> > --
> > Muthu Karthick, N
> > Junior Research Fellow
> > Care Earth
> > Chennai
> >www.careearthtrust.org
>
> > --

> > indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

R. Vijayasankar

Jan 28, 2010, 12:23:39 AM1/28/10
to Nudrat, efloraofindia
Hi, I thought it could be a species of Cordia, but not sure. However the local name suggests it is a species of Bridelia or its allied.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Pardeshi S.

Jan 28, 2010, 1:11:16 AM1/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hello all
the equidistant-veinlets clearly point out towards Bridelia spinosa
Willd.

Bridelia spinosa Willd. Sp. Pl. 4: 979, 1805; Singh et al, Fl. Mah.
St. 2: 865, 2001; Almeida, Fl. Mah. 4: 294, 2003.
Synonyms: B. retusa (L.) Spreng Syst. Veg. 3: 48, 1826; Hook. f., Fl.
Brit. India 5: 268, 1887; Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay 3: 68, 1958 (Repr.),
p.p.; Pradhan et al, Fl. SGNP 550, 2005. Cluytia retusa L. Sp. Pl.
1042, 1753.
Common names: Asan, Kutgi.

the fruit are of pale pink or peach-colored, in this pic may be
bacause of high contrast it is appearing like that. but for sure it is
Bridelia Spinosa Willd.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Jan 28, 10:23 am, "R. Vijayasankar" <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

Muthu Karthick

Jun 15, 2010, 2:20:15 AM6/15/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Dear Satishji,
Is there any recent change in nomenclature of Bridelia spinosa?

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

nivi tha

Jun 15, 2010, 2:37:12 AM6/15/10
to Muthu Karthick, Pardeshi S., efloraofindia

Dear Muthu ji.,

The correct name for Bridelia spinosa is Bridelia retusa (L.)Spreng.
--
Selvalakshmi S.
Doctoral Scholar,

Neil Soares

Jun 15, 2010, 3:10:18 AM6/15/10
to Muthu Karthick, nivi tha, Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Hi,
 It is the reverse. Bridelia spinosa is now the accepted name. [Ref : Dr.Almeida's 'Flora of Maharashtra' Vol 4-B].
              With regards,
                Neil Soares.

Muthu Karthick

Jun 15, 2010, 6:05:12 AM6/15/10
to Neil Soares, nivi tha, Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Thank you all for the clarification and identification.
As per MOBOT website, the current accepted name is Bridelia retusa (L.) Spreng.

nivi tha

Jun 17, 2010, 2:49:18 AM6/17/10
to Muthu Karthick, Neil Soares, Pardeshi S., efloraofindia

Dear Niel ji,

As per the Dr. N.Sasidharan book Biodiversity Documentation For Kerala, 2004. the new name for Bridelia spinosa is current accepted name is Bridelia retusa (L.)