ID Request | 01Jul2010AR01

raghu ananth

Jun 30, 2010, 11:43:59 PM6/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Kind request to ID this plant.

Date/Time :

Location- Place, altitude and GPS:

Chandagal Village, Mysore district,

Habitat- garden/ urban/wild/type:

Farm,

Plant Habit-tree/shrub/climber/herb:

Height/length:

1 feet, Not sure about the leaves in the picture belong to the same plant

Leaves-type/shape/size:

-

Inflorescence type /size:

-

Flowers-size/colour/calyx/bracts:

-

Fruits type-shape/size/seeds:

-

Fragrance/odour/pollinator/uses  and so on

-

Regards
Raghu

DSC_2009a1.jpg
DSC_2009a2.jpg
DSC_2010a3.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 30, 2010, 11:56:41 PM6/30/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghu Ji,
This a Zingiberaceae member but not sure of the scientific name , possible a person with the knowledge of the local flora can help you out.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

mani nair

Jul 1, 2010, 12:24:23 AM7/1/10
to tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think this is Costus speciosus or Spiral Lily.  Not sure as the flowers are not fully opened.

Regards,

Mani.

Mayur Nandikar

Jul 1, 2010, 12:28:58 AM7/1/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
same here,
might be Costus speciosus
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,
Department of Botany,
Shivaji University,
Kolhapur.

mani nair

Jul 1, 2010, 12:32:04 AM7/1/10
to Mayur Nandikar, tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Or it could be Costus woodsonii.  Waiting for answers.

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jul 1, 2010, 12:35:14 AM7/1/10
to mani nair, Mayur Nandikar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think you have got it Mani Ji !!! Congrats
Costus woodsonii
Tanay

Mayur Nandikar

Jul 1, 2010, 12:40:04 AM7/1/10
to tanay bose, mani nair, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is Costus woodsonii

mani nair

Jul 1, 2010, 12:47:04 AM7/1/10
to tanay bose, Mayur Nandikar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanayji,   what is the difference in the two species?

Regards,

Mani.

L. Rasingam

Jul 1, 2010, 12:52:45 AM7/1/10
to Mayur Nandikar, tanay bose, mani nair, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
Its not a Costus species. this might be Zingiber zerumbet
For costus species the leaves are spiral. but here the leaves are somewhat distichous.

http://www.killerplants.com/media/images/potw/20040119_full.jpg

Regards
L.Rasingam

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 1, 2010, 10:06:45 AM7/1/10
to L. Rasingam, Mayur Nandikar, tanay bose, mani nair, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
I too think it is Zingiber zerumbet.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

J.M. Garg

Jul 10, 2010, 12:11:36 AM7/10/10
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth, mani nair, tanay bose, Vijayasankar Raman, Rasingam L., Mayur Nandikar

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Its not a Costus species. this might be Zingiber zerumbet

For costus species the leaves are spiral. but here the leaves are somewhat distichous.

http://www.killerplants.com/media/images/potw/20040119_full.jpg

Regards
L.Rasingam”

“I too think it is Zingiber zerumbet.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar”

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSC_2009a1.jpg
DSC_2009a2.jpg
DSC_2010a3.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 10, 2010, 12:44:04 AM7/10/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, raghu ananth, mani nair, Vijayasankar Raman, Rasingam L., Mayur Nandikar
The plant in the attached picture is Zingiber zerumbet
More information from: http://www.floridata.com/ref/z/zing_zer.cfm

Tanay

Smilax004

Jul 10, 2010, 3:09:09 AM7/10/10
to efloraofindia, giby. kuriakose
This is Zingiber zerumbet, for sure. The link provided by Tanay shows,
most probably, varieties of the species. Remember there are so many
varieties for most of the gingers and are growing in the gardens
worldwide with different morphological characters.
Please have a look at the following link as well, who interested.

http://www.google.co.in/images?q=zingiber+zerumbet&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=axs4TLfbN4O-rAf3sOC2CA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CD8QsAQwAw

So many posts were there with Costus speciosus with lots of
discussions. Please note that the inflorescence in Costus is terminal
whereas in Zingiber the inflorescence are from the rhizome.

Regards
Giby

On Jul 10, 9:44 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The plant in the attached picture is *Zingiber zerumbet*
> More information from:http://www.floridata.com/ref/z/zing_zer.cfm
>
> Tanay
>

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 9:41 AM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise pl.
>
> > Earlier relevant feedback:
>
> > “Its not a Costus species. this *might be Zingiber zerumbet*
> > For costus species the leaves are spiral. but here the leaves are somewhat
> > distichous.
>
> >http://www.killerplants.com/media/images/potw/20040119_full.jpg
>
> > Regards
> > L.Rasingam”
>
> > “I too think it is *Zingiber zerumbet*.
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)

tanay bose

Jul 10, 2010, 8:59:24 AM7/10/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Very rightfully said by Giby Ji , indeed their are several varieties of the species of Ginger around the world thanks to agriculturalists and horticulturalists hence Zingiber zerumbet is not an exception !!
Tanay