Is this Swet Simul ?

sibdas ghosh

Mar 7, 2009, 9:51:54 AM3/7/09
to indiantreepix
Sending 2 pics. I presume it is Swet simul
100_0932.jpg
100_0933.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 7, 2009, 10:19:55 AM3/7/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
... yes, it is swet simul
( Ceiba pentandra )
Regards.

JANAKI TURAGA

Mar 7, 2009, 10:22:54 AM3/7/09
to treepix Indian
forwarded to the group.
dont know whether this is Swet Semul.

Mar 7, 2009, 11:38:28 AM3/7/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Is it the same as Kapok?
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

vinod kumar gupta

Mar 7, 2009, 12:09:17 PM3/7/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Appears to be a kapok/Safed semal(Ceiba pentandra)

Vinod

Mar 7, 2009, 1:18:50 PM3/7/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Both Ceiba pentandra(Kepok; Pandhra or white Sawar)with white flowers and Bombax ceiba(Lal sawar;Kate sawar or Shalmali) with red flowers produce silk cotton. The important character in identifying the tree in non flowering phase is:
The one with white flowers Ceiba pentandra has stem which remains green in colour even though the tree is well grown as seen in this picture unlike Bombax ceiba with red flowers whose stem is not green in colour.
Satish

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com