is it Sphenostylis bracteatus?

manasikaran

Oct 4, 2010, 11:24:20 AM10/4/10
to indiantreepix
hello friends,

plz identify the plant. The photo was taken at kaas in Oct. 2008.

Thanks in advance

Manasi
Sphenostylis bracteatus.jpg

tanay bose

Oct 4, 2010, 1:38:54 PM10/4/10
to manasikaran, indiantreepix
I go with Sphenostylis bracteatus
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Aparna Watve

Oct 4, 2010, 11:47:58 PM10/4/10
to manasikaran, indiantreepix
Sphenostylis bracteatus is a huge climber, with inflorescence more
than a meter high at times and about 3-4 inch flowers and 10cm + pods
with some beak. The plant in your pic looks delicate and not as robust
as Sphenostylis, and there is no accompanying habit data to help id.
Sphenostylis bracteatus is seen along the ghats in open shrublands and
is very large and spreading at times. Mahabaleshwar-Panchgani ghats
are a good place to see it. So is Mulshi area. But it is nowhere
common.

http://gallery.bizhat.com/climbers/p36291-sphenostylis-bracteatus.html

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
At present : 34/6, Gulawani Maharaj Rd. Pune 411004

shrikant ingalhalikar

Oct 5, 2010, 12:05:04 AM10/5/10
to efloraofindia
Alysicarpus belgaumensis, a common plant around Kas lake in this
season. Regards, Shrikant

On Oct 5, 8:47 am, Aparna Watve <aparnawat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sphenostylis bracteatus is a huge climber, with inflorescence more
> than a meter high at times and about 3-4 inch flowers and 10cm + pods
> with some beak. The plant in your pic looks delicate and not as robust
> as Sphenostylis, and there is no accompanying habit data to help id.
> Sphenostylis bracteatus is seen along the ghats in open shrublands and
> is very large and spreading at times. Mahabaleshwar-Panchgani ghats
> are a good place to see it. So is Mulshi area. But it is nowhere
> common.
>
> http://gallery.bizhat.com/climbers/p36291-sphenostylis-bracteatus.html
>

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:08 PM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I go with Sphenostylis bracteatus
> > Tanay
>
> > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:54 PM, manasikaran <manasika...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> hello friends,
>
> >> plz identify the plant. The photo was taken at kaas in Oct. 2008.
>
> >> Thanks in advance
>
> >> Manasi
>
> > --
> > Tanay Bose
> > Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> > Department of Botany.
> > University of British Columbia .
> > 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> > Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> > Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> >             604-822-2019 (Lab)
> > ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
>
> --
> Dr. Aparna Watve
> At present : 34/6, Gulawani Maharaj Rd. Pune 411004
> 9822597288/ 020-25430309
> Otherwise:
> Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony
> Nr. BSNL tower, Akbar Ward,
> Seoni.480661
> tel: 07692-228115
> mobile: (0)9755667710- Hide quoted text -

manasikaran

Oct 5, 2010, 10:48:35 AM10/5/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia

Thanks Aparna ji for your elaborate description of the plant because I could not find it on internet and yes it was not a climber I forgot to mention that. It was a small herb. I feel Shrikant ji’s id is matching with the plant I saw there.  Thank you Shrikant ji. Thank you all. :)

Regards,

Manasi

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 5, 2010, 12:05:03 PM10/5/10
to manasikaran, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Aparna for the details. You come from no where all of a
sudden drop a bomb and then vanish...... This group needs regular
participation from people like you!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate