Dactylorhiza hatagirea (D.Don) Soó

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 28, 2010, 6:48:16 PM9/28/10
to indiantreepix
Dactylorhiza hatagirea (D.Don) Soó, Nom. Nov. Gen. Dactylorhiza: 4 (1962).
Syn: Orchis hatagirea D.Don, Prodr. Fl. Nepal.: 23 (1825).

Family: Orchidaceae
Location: Valley of Flowers National Park, Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve
Nepal, Pakistan, Western Himalaya

Note: The name Dactylorhiza is derived from dactyl like rhizome,
refering to the finger like tubers of this plant. the species epithet,
hatagirea refers to HATTA JADI, refering to hand like jadi or the
root. So basically, generic and species epithet means the same thing,
just the origin is different. This is a highly medicinal plant..

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Slide79.JPG

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 29, 2010, 1:20:59 AM9/29/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks for this valuable information Thousands of Hata Jadi are present in cash lockers of rich Indians due to (Blind) faith that it will increase their wealth without any effort. Its collection is banned but still it is available easily with Tantriks. May be they are using another similar looking rhizomes. What are they? Any idea.

Through Andh Sharaddha Nirmulan Samitee in Chhattisgarh we are awaring common people to avoid using such herbs and help in conservation of rare species.

As herb vendors from Himalayas are coming since generations to Chhattisgarh, the Healers have much knowledge about Himalayan herbs.

The use of Dacytlorhiza as Aphrodisiac is also creating problem. Our population has reached to crores but still we are eager to use such herbs. Many E-books are available through my homepage but there is never ending demand of E-book on Extra-ordinary sexual performances. :)

By the way your explaination about Dactly reminds be of Dactyloctenium grass.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 29, 2010, 4:59:55 AM9/29/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for the information sir!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 30, 2010, 4:11:44 AM9/30/10
to efloraofindia
Please see this link for  (socalled) Dactylorhiza rhizome available in Mela. Sindoor is applied on such plant parts for many reasons including to hide its real identity.

http://pankajoudhia.com/album/main.php?g2_itemId=69917

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 30, 2010, 4:33:56 AM9/30/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I have a bit of doubt, that tuber doesnt look like Dactylorhiza
hatagirea to me Sir!! Please do you have more pics. They have usualy 5
tubers arranged palmately.
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 30, 2010, 4:45:42 AM9/30/10
to efloraofindia
When people are ready to buy two fingers then why not the vendors try to sell one rhizome in three pieces? :)

I have collected hundreds of samples of it from different corners of India. Will post the pictures after uploading it in my homepage.

Yesterday someone from Canada asked for identification. Once I confirm its identity they start writing in their brochure/website that it is certified by Pankaj Oudhia (Even without informing me). Then rates increase. That's why I remain careful.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 30, 2010, 4:51:31 AM9/30/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
the tubers of Dactylorhiza are very compact infact they look very much
like Oberonia leaves with 5 lobes and constricted base, the apex of
the lobes are pointed. Your tubers were very distant from each other.
Thats why I said. But yes, from the pic and that two from dried
specimen I MAY BE WRONG....but my intuition says its not what you
think it is.
Can you please send me a good pic on my mail separately. I wont misuse it!!
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 30, 2010, 5:01:15 AM9/30/10
to efloraofindia
Will do.

I purchased this piece in Rs. 1000 after much bargaining and sharing knowledge of other herbs available with the vendor. When I presented it to the Traditional healers using true Dactylorhiza, they asked for more samples, at least half Kg for experimentation (and confirmation). I surrendered as it was not possible at that time.

Hoping for their comments in next visit.

Any idea about the taste of rhizome? Its aqueuous paste must be sticky enough both in fresh and dry form.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 30, 2010, 5:05:04 AM9/30/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I AGREE THAT I MAY BE WRONG....
1000 RS for one piece.....good god!!! Is it that high????
Usually the paste of orchid tubers are sticky but I never tasted.
What do they say where they got it from???
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 30, 2010, 5:14:28 AM9/30/10
to efloraofindia
There is no fixed rate for articles of (blind) faith. It may be one rupee to lakhs depending upon the quantum of fear one can generate on Murga i.e. Client. For such Tantriks people like me are enemies as I regularly write about the facts through my Hindi and English articles. It creates problem in their marketing.

Please check my Hindi series titled My war against blind faith.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 30, 2010, 5:17:06 AM9/30/10