Transcription / transliteration / Romanisation problems

OZmic

Apr 24, 2012, 7:15:57 PM4/24/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
I always have difficulties creating or checking some names when using transliterators (devices that convert a romanised name into the correct script. Examples:
Phyllanthus emblica is "Āṃvalā" or better still "āṃvalā" because using a capital can introduce errors or unresolved characters. Passing this through several transliterators I get अ?वला because the "ṃ" works in one direction but not in reverse. In order to get the correct (I presume) word "आंवला" one needs to type "anwalaa". This is one that I can explain but the following I can't. Can you please help / explain:
"Akhroṭ" for Juglans regia gives अख्रो? "ṭ" is the unresolved character.  I thought the correct Hindi words was अखरोट  = Akharot / Akhrot. Is this correct?
Justicia adhatoda   Aḍūsā gives अ?उसा ."ḍ" is the unresolved character. What is the correct name ?

Some of the transliterators online are:
WebDunia Utilities, 2009. < http://utilities.webdunia.com/hindi/transliteration.html >.
Google Transliteration. < http://www.google.com/transliterate >.
TamilCube < http://www.tamilcube.com/translate/hindi.aspx >.
The blogger Ankit Agrawal who knows what it is all about, unlike me, lists others and comments on their technical merits. But they appear to be all "add-ons", "extensions" etc. I am told these may introduce incompatibilities (especially when one uses 30 scripted languages) so I tend to stay away from those and prefer online facilities. What do you think ? is there a "tech head" among us ?
< http://techcruser.blogspot.com.au/2008/05/english-to-hindi-transliteration.html >.
Thanks.

jmgarg1

May 1, 2012, 4:24:39 AM5/1/12
to efloraofindia, OZmic, Dinesh Valke, Swagat, Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg