Woodfordia fructiosa .

Pravin Kawale

Feb 5, 2010, 1:56:20 AM2/5/10

DSC01394 (1).JPG
DSC01395 (1).JPG

DSC01394 (1).JPG
DSC01395 (1).JPG

shubhada nikharge

Feb 5, 2010, 2:14:01 AM2/5/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Hi,
few pics of Woodfordia fructiosa taken at Mahavir Sanctuary, Goa on 30th Jan 2010.
Common name: Fire Flame Bush
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Feb 5, 2010, 2:40:03 AM2/5/10
to efloraofindia
It is supposed to be Woodfordia fruticosa (not fructiosa I think).
Beautiful pics Pravin ji. Thanks for sharing.
In Jharkhand till Orissa, these love to grow more as lithophytes.
Supposed to be highly medicinal.

Regards
Pankaj

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Feb 5, 2010, 2:42:25 AM2/5/10
to efloraofindia
By the way, I found on wikipedia that this is endemic to India, so
thought of sharing.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 5, 2010, 2:48:31 AM2/5/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Thanks for beautiful pictures.

Please keep observing this species for specific insect. Please see these links

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20p?see=I_PAO2497&res=640

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20p?see=I_PAO2498&res=640

These insects are used as medicinal insect in Traditional Healing. I am not sure about its correct identity but the Healers eagerly wait for this attack.

I am eager to know whether the Healers of your region use it or not? Please keep observing.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Adesh Shivkar

Feb 5, 2010, 2:51:27 AM2/5/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks for that bit of information Dr. & Pankaj Ji :-)

And this is how pollination happens (one of the mediums) in this plant..... a fine example of Plant-Bird co-evolution .....

Note how the the pollens are delivered on the forehead of the bird (Oriental white eye) ..... have seen this with several small birds feeding on Woodfordia fruticosa.

Regards,
Adesh
Oriental White-Eye-2.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 5, 2010, 2:55:47 AM2/5/10
to efloraofindia
The flowers are in trade. Please see these links (Sorry Garg ji , for so many external links)

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=102249

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=102247

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=102252

Pankaj Oudhia

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Feb 5, 2010, 3:05:11 AM2/5/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Adesh,

You mean the red mark on the head are pollens!!! great pic!!

Few times back Shrikant Sir, said that informaiton on types are out of
reach, so I just wish to share this informations about the plant which
may be useful to taxonomists only. Rest may discard.

Woodfordia fruticosa (L.) Kurz
Syn: Lythrum fruticosum L. Systema Naturae, ed. 10, 2: 1045 (1759)
Provenance: "Habitat [in China.] Sp. Pl., ed. 2, 1: 641 (1763)"
Lectotype : Herb. Linn. No. 626.4 (LINN); Designated by: Dar in Nasir
& Ali (ed.), Fl. W. Pakistan 78 : 6 (1975)
Family: Lythraceae

If needed I have pdf of Sytema Naturae, I can translate the latin from
there to English and share here.....anyone interested?

Pankaj

Adesh Shivkar

Feb 5, 2010, 3:15:44 AM2/5/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Yes.... the Red / Orange colouration is due to the pollens.... and hence one often sees such Orange / Red fronted birds around this plant :-)

Regards,
Adesh