Fwd: Indian Trees

J.M. Garg

Jun 18, 2007, 4:33:22 AM6/18/07
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Forwarding in case anybody can enlighten in the matter.

Jun 18, 2007, 5:44:29 AM6/18/07
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear San,

The name does not ring a bell. But just did a google search and found a page that gives the English words for Urdu, Hindi, Gujarati and Punjabi names of cooking ingredients.

Murung is included though it does not specify which language it originally came from.

As far as I know, the Bengali word for drumsticks is Sojni data and Marathi is Senga

I don't know if it would grow in the Sunderbans.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sunetro.

arjun dahanu

Jun 18, 2007, 8:17:55 AM6/18/07
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes sure, the Drumstick would grow well in Sunderbans. I would suggest apart from the hardy local ones, there is a particular variety called Coimbatore 6, which i had planted, which gave huge harvests of drumsticks, about 2 ft long & the tender leaves.

The key to drumstick growing is apart from providing  good soil, the trunk should not get water logged, more importantly, the key is to prune down the tree after the harvest, but very carefully, so that new shoots will be established before the rains.

Arjun