Stereospermum personatum (Hassk.) Chatterjee

Rashida Atthar

Jun 12, 2010, 11:05:56 AM6/12/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Saw the flowering of Stereospermum personatum (Hassk.) Chatterjee at the south end of the national park in Mumbai on 11 June, '10.
along with the capsules.

regards,
Rashida.
Stereospremum personatum flower.JPG
Stereospermum personatum caudate leaves flowers.JPG
Stereospermum personatum caudate leaves.JPG
Stereospermum personatum back view of leaves.JPG
Stereospermum personatum flower 2.JPG
Stereospermum personatum flower 3.JPG
Stereospermum personatum flower4.JPG
Stereospermum personatum capsule.JPG
Stereospermum personatum full tree.JPG

Prashant awale

Jun 12, 2010, 11:37:38 AM6/12/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rashida ji,
Nice set of photos. These photographs and one uploaded by me tallies well. Both has to be same sp. Do u have some comparison between S. personatum and S. colais so that ID can be resolved.
regards
Prashant

Rashida Atthar

Jun 12, 2010, 12:03:11 PM6/12/10
to Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Prashant ji,  Dr. Almeida's flora has put S. colais (Buch. - Ham ex Dillw.) as the earlier name   for S. personatum (Hassk,) Chatterjee.  The caudate leaves and all morphological characteristics of flowers match very well with this.

There is one more species S. personatum ( Hassk.) Chatterjee var. angustifolia (Haines) Santisukh, this one had earliar name  S. colais (Buch.-Ham. ex Dillw.) Mabberley var. angustifolia (Haines). This one we do not see,  the leaflets are acuminate not caudate, and corola is not wooly at base.  So what we see generally see  is S. personatum (Hassk.) Chatterjee. Hope this clarifies your query.

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 12, 2010, 9:51:12 PM6/12/10
to Rashida Atthar, Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji
I am slightly confused. You are writing that  "Dr. Almeida's flora has put S. colais (Buch. - Ham ex Dillw.) as the earlier name   for S. personatum (Hassk,)" so logically former should be the correct name and not the latter that you have put in your subject line. According to GRIN also S. colais (Buch.-Ham. ex Dillw.) Mabb. is the correct name. There are two things to support it, firstly Mabberly has made his combination in 1978, whereas as Chatterjee made his in 1948, former is more recent. Secondly basionym Bignonia colais (1837) antedates Dipterosperma personatum Hassk. (1842), and hence if the two species are to be treated as synonyms, S. colais is preferred choice as correct name.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

Jun 13, 2010, 1:16:06 PM6/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gurcharan ji for going into such details.
We have with us very limited literature for study.

Rashida Atthar

Jun 18, 2010, 5:54:04 AM6/18/10
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delayed response but Kew has separate entry for both of S. personatum Hassk. Will have to discuss this once Dr. Gurcharan ji is back.

regards,
Rashida.

Dinesh Valke

Jul 23, 2010, 1:23:20 AM7/23/10
to Rashida Atthar, Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends, ... am attempting to dig into this query; but, am afraid will end up with more queries :)
Resurfacing this thread for attention of those who are familiar with Stereospermum plants.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 23, 2010, 3:33:22 AM7/23/10
to Dinesh Valke, Rashida Atthar, Satish Phadke, Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji
Kindly be more elaborate about the two separate entries at KEW that you have mentioned. Perhaps then we will be able to discuss it further.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Jul 29, 2010, 2:29:08 AM7/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir sorry again for the delayed response.

In Dr Almeida's 'Generic names of the plants of Maharahtra' the following explanation is given for the species under discussion:

"Stereospermum-cham. In Linnaea 7: 720, 1832;Benth, & HK.f., Gen.Pl.2:1047, 1876.(Bignonaceae, 1832). Stereos=hard, Spermum=seeds. Seeds are tightly packed in fruits. Type S. Kunthianum. Cham. (Africa) : SSp. : 15 (Mabb.), 25(Sant. & Henry), Trop. Ow 4 in India 2 in Maharashtra: S. personatum (Hassk.) Chatterjee "Padri, Pathri, Patala, Patalika cultivated in temple gardens. S. colais (Dillwyn) Mabb. [=S. personatum (Hassk.) chatterjee " Padri" (India) ] wood used for canons and tea -boxes."

Dr. Almeida also explained today  that  Dr.Chatterjee has done work on this species based on material at the Calcutta herbarium.

regards,
Rashida.