Fw: Convolvulus microphylla from Rajastan – 050110-NSD 129

Nayan Singh

Jan 5, 2010, 1:08:22 PM1/5/10
to indiantreepix, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Friends,

This herb is form desert area of Rajastan. Photographed on 16-12-09.

This was identified by Dr G.Singh from AFRI as Convolvulus microphylla.

During my tour i am told that this is a real Sankh Puspi. Some reference on net is as following.

Convolvulus Microphyllus, Bind weed, shankhahulli Herb, Benefits ...

www.himalayahealthcare.com/herbfinder/h_convol.htm

Comments from experts are welcome.

Thanks.

Nayan.

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Convolvulus microphylla.jpg
Convolvulus microphylla flower.jpg

Abhay kumar

Jan 7, 2010, 9:37:42 AM1/7/10
to Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
Nayan ji, without chewing its leaves no one can say whether it is real shankhpushpi or not? [I wish to try from your picture but E-chewing is still not available. :)

Abhay

Nayan Singh

Jan 7, 2010, 9:53:57 PM1/7/10
to C KUNHIKANNAN, indiantreepix
Thanks Dear Kunhikannan,
thanks a lot

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Jan 7, 2010, 11:17:39 PM1/7/10
to Abhay kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks Dear Abhay kumar,
thanks for your response to my post of desert flora.

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

A.Sinha

Jan 9, 2010, 4:10:21 AM1/9/10
to Abhay kumar, Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Nayanji, Abhay and everyone.
Greetings and Happy New Year .  I have recently found this interest group for my abiding interest in plants.

There is a genuine and ongoing confusion re: the  identity of Shankhpushpi,  increased further by the  interest in "brain tonics" probably  brought on by out-sourcing .
 Boh C.microphylla and Evolvulus alsinoides are being used and reported as  Shankhpushpi ; including Shankhpushpi of  American origin.  See
" In Ayurveda, (E. alsinoides)  the plant is known as Shankpushpi. As regard origin, the plant is of controversial in origin. Several plants including Convolvulus pluricaulis Linn., Clitoria ternetae L. and Canscora decussata L. are also used as Shankpushpi..3,4,5"  "

Review of Ethnomedicinal uses and pharmacology of Evolvulus ...

Evolvulus alsinoides (Convolvulaceae): An American herb in the Old World

More information on the Ayurvedic sources/ references  of the names Shankhpushpi & Vishnukranti would clarify the historic usages of these several  plants as Shankhpushpi.

I think now there seems to be convergence towards C.m as Shankpushpi and E.a as Vishnukranti.  But  I cannot find the authoritative source for this.

regards
A Sinha

promila chaturvedi

Jan 9, 2010, 7:26:27 AM1/9/10
to sinha...@gmail.com, abha...@gmail.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
I am not a botanist so I can not comment. But in a publication refering to medicinal plants (Forgot the title of the book)-a WHO publication, Clitorea's common name is given as Shankhpushpi.
Promila

Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:40:21 +0530
From: sinha...@gmail.com
To: abha...@gmail.com