Euphorbiaceae week - Redbird cactus (Pedilanthus tithymaloides)

mani nair

Mar 9, 2011, 9:09:56 AM3/9/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending photos of Redbird cactus.

Botanical name : Pedilanthus tithymaloides
Place               :  Sanjay Gandhi National Park  (Thane end)
Date                 :  May 2009
Others             :  Attracts nectar loving birds

Regards,

Mani
red-bird.jpg
red-bird2.JPG

Rashida Atthar

Mar 9, 2011, 10:12:54 AM3/9/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the beautiful post Mani ji. The correct accepted name as per Kew Plant List is Euphobia tithymaloides L.   The synonyms are as follows: Pedilanthus tithymaloides (L.) Poit
           Pedilanthus tithymaloides subsp. tithymaloides
          Tithymalus tithymaloides (L.) Croizat

regards,
Rashida.

tanay bose

Mar 9, 2011, 11:36:56 AM3/9/11
to Rashida Atthar, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
This plant is commonly known as devils backbone .. I really dont know why?
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 9, 2011, 11:47:41 AM3/9/11
to tanay bose, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Its called backbone may be just because of its structure which is
zigzag and similar to our backbone when we curve down and devil's may
be because it is poisonous.
But thats just a speculation.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 9, 2011, 1:14:47 PM3/9/11
to Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have also heard it called as Jacob's Ladder.
Regards,
Padmini Raghavan.

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 9, 2011, 1:20:18 PM3/9/11
to Padmini Raghavan, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Jacob's ladder is actually a mythological ladder which leads to
heaven. This may sound hilarious, but may be it is so poisonous that
it will straight away lead you to heaven, hence it is named that
way!!! and of course the stem is zigzag like a ladder.
Pankaj

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 9, 2011, 1:27:04 PM3/9/11
to Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I do know that it is "non-browseable" so we had a line of these plants near the barbed wire fence thro which the goats used to try to eat the marigold plants at Alto-Chicalim in Goa
(off Vasco.)
Regards,
  Padmini Raghavan.

mani nair

Mar 10, 2011, 3:29:54 AM3/10/11
to Padmini Raghavan, Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for the valuable information on redbird cactus plant.  Good, I knew it is poisonous.  I was planning to plant a cutting of the plant.

Regards,

Mani.