Flower for ID 19Jan10AR02

raghu ananth

Jan 19, 2010, 6:42:06 AM1/19/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Habitat: Irrigation canal edges
Japada katte, Mysore
31/Aug/09

/*
A traveler who accompanied us plucked one of the flower bud of this climber. Very soon we found her in a surprised state when the bud bloomed to a large flower in no time & within her own hands .
*/

Regards
Raghu

DSC_5142.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 23, 2010, 6:16:55 AM2/23/10
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nayan Singh, Muthu Karthick
Resurfacing again for ID

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

DSC_5142.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 13, 2010, 9:58:26 PM3/13/10
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick, Tabish

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Mar 13, 2010, 10:45:30 PM3/13/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, raghu ananth, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick, Tabish
Dear Raghu Ji,
The plant in the attached photo is of Ipomoea alba L. commonly known as "Moon flower" belonging to the family Convolvulaceae. This is a personal request to you that please try to take the complete photo of a plant with flowers, a potion of the vegetative shoot with leaves and if available fruits , this helps a lot to identify a plant.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

raghu ananth

Mar 13, 2010, 11:03:17 PM3/13/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tanay/All

Thats the only photograph I took.. Will try to capture better details of the plant and its parts here onwards.

Its not always possible to capture full plant details when we are photographing  in the field/forest and there are many valid reasons.

First,
It so happens that we are left behind and probably a warning from guide/family membes comes quickly "hurry -its getting late", then we capture very few details of the flora. This is what exactlly happenned in this Peristrophe case

Second thing,
Sometimes we  become lazy to change the camera lens and end up photographing a plant flower in zoom lens.We cannot capture finer details then. Small lens make us to go near the plant and photograph, then we have better look of the parts of plant.

Third,
We don't want to take risk to go near a flower when the flower is in the mid of thick bushes to avoid snakes or a  shallow pool edges (Ipomoea alba L. case) Photographing a leaf or a fruit in the crown of the tall tree is again a challenge when there is insufficient light or  in the evenings.

Fourth,
 Majority of the people other than regular nature visitors are inclined to reach their destination as quickly as possible. A kind of time sense even in forest (especially while returning from the trek, they hardly try sighting anything, . )

Fifth,
Multiple interests (Trees, birds, insects, landscape), We are photographing a flowering plant, A passing butterfly can divert our attention. . . Finally, we tend to forget what we were actually photographing

We still continue to post and request for identification with such incomplete plant details. Sorry for that ! I hope there is always scope to learn and  improvise. Again I hope the group members understand photographers problems.

Though I carry a note book and a pen during field visits, I feel its still better we carry a printed identification template format as provided by Sri Gargji

By the way I am impressed by the different views of a tree/plant photographs provided by biotik.org folks. Probably they are on a long sponsored mission and get enough time for observing  plant/trees.  I envy them !

Regards
Raghu

Mar 13, 2010, 11:45:05 PM3/13/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, it is I. alba but every one would like to know why? Pls
appreciate that the length (even width) of flower can not be judged
from the picture, had it been just 1 cm it could have been said to be
Convolvulus sp. Here the bud would be 10-12 cm long and must be about
to open because this flower opens at evening. It is hence called the
Moon Flower. It must have been found near human settlement because the
plant originating from Srilanka would be cultivated and not wild. All
this add-on info helps the ID. Rgds, Shrikant

On Jan 19, 4:42 pm, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Habitat: Irrigation canal edges
> Japada katte, Mysore
> 31/Aug/09
>
> /*
> A traveler who accompanied us plucked one of the flower bud of this climber. Very soon we found her in a surprised state when the bud bloomed to a large flower in no time & within her own hands .
> */
>
> Regards
> Raghu
>

>       The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.http://in.yahoo.com/
>
>  DSC_5142.jpg
> 180KViewDownload

Kenneth Greby

Mar 15, 2010, 3:32:35 PM3/15/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, raghu ananth, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick, Tabish
Looks very much like Calonyction aculeatum (Ipomoea alba).

http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/2004/11.jpg

Regards--
Ken Greby.