identification no 17/09/2014sn1

Satish Nikam

Sep 17, 2014, 2:57:34 AM9/17/14
to Indiantrees Pics
Friends,
          Kindly help in identification of this Palm Tree.
Date/time:march14
location:ambyvalley rd.,lonavala,pune
habitat:wild
plant habit:tree
height:about 6-7 ft.upto the tip
other info:flowers attract a lot of honeybees
regards
satish nikam
IMG_9644-foi.jpg
IMG_9645-foi.jpg
IMG_9646-foi.jpg
IMG_9647-foi.jpg
IMG_9648-foi.jpg
IMG_9652-foi.jpg

radha veach

Sep 17, 2014, 3:11:55 AM9/17/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, satish...@yahoo.com

My guess is Phoenix robusta

regards
Radha

Ushadi Micromini

Sep 17, 2014, 3:14:21 AM9/17/14
to Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
may be canary island palm, not sure though

would like to see it in its entirety, if you had a chance to take it all in.

usha di

Usha di
===========

satish nikam

Sep 21, 2014, 3:37:03 AM9/21/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This is the same https://www.flickr.com/photos/49876611@N06/6165335635/in/photolist-aoNXug, i posted earlier identified as Chamerops humilis.Of course it is not cultivated.
Regards
Satish nikam

radha veach

Sep 21, 2014, 11:29:48 AM9/21/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
HI Satish,

I have seen Phoenix robusta in the location you mentioned. In this area they are often very short trees, sometimes only a few feet. Your posted pictures resemble mine. It is often difficult to get an image of an entire tree.

regards
Radha

satish nikam

Sep 22, 2014, 2:47:12 AM9/22/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello Radha,
Let me get this straight.Does it mean P.robusta=P. loureiroi var. pedunculata=P. loureirii var. humilis=P. humilis Royle ex Baker.Hook
Kindly clarify and thanks for the help.Appreciate it.
Regards
Satish nikam

radha veach

Sep 22, 2014, 5:41:25 AM9/22/14
to satish nikam, efloraofindia
Hi Satish,

I spent a very long time trying to sort out these similar species of Phoenix even after seeing plants with flowers and fruits for several years!
From the available literature it appears there is some confusion between them.

I finally went with the description of P. robusta given in Talbot's Forest Flora of Bombay Presidency and Sind because it is the most detailed and most closely matches with the plants I have seen in Lonavala area. It may be that the plant displays some differences according to soil, exposure to wind etc.
Please look it up and see what you think.

If any experts can throw more light on the specific distinctions between these species that would be great!
Thanks for posting this plant.

Do try the fruits if you get a chance to pick them before the monkeys. They are very sweet. The seeds germinate easily and you can propagate the trees!

regards
Radha

Regards
Satish nikam

J.M. Garg

Sep 28, 2014, 7:44:37 AM9/28/14
to efloraofindia, Satish Nikam, radha veach

Some earlier relevant feedback:

My guess is Phoenix robusta
regards
Radha

[...]

From the available literature it appears there is some confusion between them.
I finally went with the description of P. robusta given in Talbot's Forest Flora of Bombay Presidency and Sind because it is the most detailed and most closely matches with the plants I have seen in Lonavala area. It may be that the plant displays some differences according to soil, exposure to wind etc.
Please look it up and see what you think.
If any experts can throw more light on the specific distinctions between these species that would be great!
Thanks for posting this plant.
Do try the fruits if you get a chance to pick them before the monkeys. They are very sweet. The seeds germinate easily and you can propagate the trees!
regards
Radha

efi page on Phoenix loureiroi (Syn: Phoenix humilis Royle ex Becc. [Illegitimate]; Phoenix humilis var. loureiroi (Kunth) Becc.; Phoenix pusilla Lour. [Illegitimate]; Phoenix hanceana Naudin; Phoenix hanceana var. formosana Becc.; Phoenix hanceana var. philippinensis Becc.; Phoenix humilis var. hanceana (Naudin) Becc.; Phoenix pygmaea Raeusch. [Invalid]; Phoenix humilis var. pedunculata (Griff.) Becc.; Phoenix humilis var. robusta Becc.; Phoenix humilis var. typica Becc. [Invalid]; Phoenix loureiroi var. humilis S.Barrow; Phoenix ouseleyana Griff.; Phoenix pedunculata Griff.; Phoenix robusta (Becc.) Hook.f.) as per Palms of Southern Asia By Andrew Henderson (2009);

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

IMG_9644-foi.jpg
IMG_9645-foi.jpg
IMG_9646-foi.jpg
IMG_9647-foi.jpg
IMG_9648-foi.jpg
IMG_9652-foi.jpg

Sourav Mahmud

Sep 28, 2014, 10:18:16 AM9/28/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Satish Nikam, radha veach
Do not occur in Bangladesh

surajit koley

Sep 28, 2014, 1:51:21 PM9/28/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Satish Nikam, radha veach
Can anybody please tell me which Phoenix species (one or many) have leaflets with copper/rust (or anything other than green) colored tips?

Thank you
Regards

J.M. Garg

Sep 30, 2014, 12:06:08 AM9/30/14