Impatiens acaulis picture

Smita Raskar

Sep 29, 2010, 1:50:32 PM9/29/10
to indiantreepix
Hello all
Impatiens acaulis
 i have captured this tiny beautiful herb at Amboli, sindhudurg ,maharashtra
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Picture 293.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Sep 30, 2010, 2:05:26 AM9/30/10
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Good Shot Smita, Thanks.

regards,
Rashida.

Smita Raskar

Sep 30, 2010, 3:38:01 AM9/30/10
to Rashida Atthar, indiantreepix
Yeah Mani & Rshida these are really very beautiful flowers,tiny plant is also very beautiful, which cover many rocks also grows on soil and moss covered trunks of trees, it makes entire area look beautiful it has tuberous root stock, its a perennial plant

Satish Phadke

Sep 30, 2010, 5:52:05 AM9/30/10
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Beautiful flowers indeed.
Is there any season during which it is observed? When did you observe this? Has anybody seen this near Kas ?

Smita Raskar

Oct 1, 2010, 6:45:30 AM10/1/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
flowering period is Aug - sept
no i have been to kas in same period but not seen these flowers there

Dinesh Valke

Oct 1, 2010, 6:51:43 AM10/1/10
to Smita Raskar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
... the habitat of this plant is normally steep (rocky) slopes or near water falls, flowering most probably only during rainy season ... please validate.
Regards.

Smita Raskar

Oct 1, 2010, 6:55:23 AM10/1/10
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Yeah Aug - sept, i have capture picture on 22nd Aug

arvind kadus

Oct 1, 2010, 12:32:00 PM10/1/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh valke, Smita Raskar
Here is Impatiens acaulis captured at Malshej Ghats. As Dinesh Ji said these plants found only at Watary hill slopes, steep (rocky) slopes or near water falls. We saw some plants white flowers there.
What a beutiful site was that !
Dr.Kadus Arvind,Pune

IMG_6980A.JPG
IMG_6997A.JPG
IMG_6999A.JPG
IMG_6988A.JPG

Smita Raskar

Oct 1, 2010, 12:35:21 PM10/1/10
to arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh valke
what a beauty!!! i really love these flowers..i visit Amboli every week end just to see flowers of monsoon:):)

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2010, 1:04:54 PM10/1/10
to Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh valke
I have similar looking flowers from California, but definitely not Impatiens. Mine could be a Scrophulariaceae member. Any clues?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 1, 2010, 1:51:40 PM10/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh valke
Thats Impatiens..... (Mr Arvind's)
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2010, 2:05:12 PM10/1/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh valke
Yes Arvind ji's plant is clearly I. acaulis. I wanted possible hints for mine.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 1, 2010, 2:08:44 PM10/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh valke
Oops extremely sorry....
Pankaj

Dinesh Valke

Oct 1, 2010, 2:18:28 PM10/1/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Gurcharan ji ... your posted flower reminded me of another look-alike ...  species of Lavendula seen in Western Ghats ... http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=91314344%40N00&q=Lavendula+bipinnata&m=text
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2010, 3:06:18 PM10/1/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Your link helped me to guess identity of my plant. It is not Lavandula rather a species of Lobelia. I will find out let you know.  I would request you to recheck your plant. The flowers don't look like Lavandula.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 1, 2010, 3:16:12 PM10/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Not sure though...Lobelia kalmii??
This was from your hint !!
Anymore pictures to see the leaves?

Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2010, 3:28:21 PM10/1/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think I got it, Lobelia erinus. L. kalmii is closer, but much taller plant reaching 2 feet, and with elongated one-sided racemes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 1, 2010, 3:33:04 PM10/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
I thought once, but I saw the lobes of your flower were not reaching till base, so I was hesitant.
Congrats!
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2010, 5:06:37 PM10/1/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh ji
Just relax, your plant matches with the description of L. bipinnata. But please do check this one, leaves look more like Lavander.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 1, 2010, 5:18:05 PM10/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Lavandula buchii ?
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2010, 5:23:57 PM10/1/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Pankaj ji
Thanks for buchii hint. That means var. bipinnata should have green leaf legments without dense tomentum?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 1, 2010, 5:28:25 PM10/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Oh, is it the other way around, I thought L. pinnata var. buchii will
have green leaves without dense tomentum....
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2010, 6:00:51 PM10/1/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Pankaj ji
I have yet tolocate a glabrous green leaves description for lavandula. There seems to be lot of confusion. Many citations on internet consider L. buchii as var. buchii of L. bipinnata. GRIN considers  two as distinct species. Hortus Third considers L. buchii as var. buchii of L. pinnata (is silent about L. bipinnata).

L. pinnata, L. bipinata, L. multifida and L. buchii seem to be very closely related sspecies, and often confused.

There is a Botanical Manograph on Lavandula published in 2004, partially online. Perhaps this may solve puzzle. Description of L. bipinnata is visible characterised by 2-pinnatisect deeply dissected narrow linear segments, downy indumentum of simple or hooked hairs (I wonder whether it is so in Dinesh and Prashant ji's photographs).

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 1, 2010, 6:10:27 PM10/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Smita Raskar, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for the information..... hopefully we would be able to
find a solution...
Pankaj

Dr. Arvind Kadus

Oct 2, 2010, 2:06:55 AM10/2/10