Grass for id 121010MK1

Muthu Karthick

Oct 13, 2010, 6:52:05 AM10/13/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
eager to know this grass genera, kindly help me.
Location; Kancheepuram dist, 20km off south Chennai
Date: 11 Oct 2010

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Selvalakshmi Selvaraj

Oct 13, 2010, 8:19:04 AM10/13/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix

is it penisettum?not sure

--
Selvalakshmi S.
Doctoral Scholar,

tanay bose

Oct 13, 2010, 10:06:59 AM10/13/10
to Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I dont think this a is Penisettum!! This is not sure
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Vijayasankar

Oct 13, 2010, 10:13:25 AM10/13/10
to indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Setaria pumila, perhaps.

Regards

Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 10:14:41 AM10/13/10
to tanay bose, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Setaria glauca, I suppose

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 13, 2010, 10:20:39 AM10/13/10
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Around 5 years back there was a not botanists who was explaining me
this genus of grass. He threw the inflorescence on my trousers and
said "SAT GAYA NA" literally meaning, "IT GOT STUCK" so this is
Setaria :P....... though it was a funny explanation but I never
forgot it.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 13, 2010, 10:21:18 AM10/13/10
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
sorry, I meant non-botanist!
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 10:27:47 AM10/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Pankaj ji
We used to play with this genus as well as Hordeum murinum, keeping the inflorescence between the edges of two palms and moving them, the spike used to run fast. The competition would be who does it faster.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayasankar

Oct 13, 2010, 10:28:24 AM10/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Pankaj, your species could be Setaria verticillata which has got hooked bristles in the inflorescence that help them to stick to the cloth. I don't know any other species of Setaria have this feature.

Regards

Vijayasankar

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 13, 2010, 10:40:43 AM10/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Thats nice Dr. Gurcharan sir.
Vijay, no bristles on our plant were not hooked but much elongated...i
think they are called awns? I am too bad in grasses, but yeah it was
not this species....those bristles are too small. Once dry, may be
they all get stuck. It was at Sariska National Park.
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 11:47:05 AM10/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Light yellow bristles (not green) are characteristic of S. glauca

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 11:50:59 AM10/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Oh yes, I just checked, myself and Vijayasankar ji are matching
S. glauca is is sunonym of S. pumila.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 11:55:18 AM10/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Vijayasankar
I think most species of Setaria have barbs ob bristles to make them stick or move (our chilhood game). S. verticillata has retrorse barbs, whereas others have anterorse barbs, so it would affect whether spikes are moving forward or backward in my game.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayasankar

Oct 13, 2010, 12:21:17 PM10/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Thanx Gurcharan ji, for the explanation. So, S. verticillata should be the one which we (during good young days!) used to play with as it had had greater grip (when compare to other species) due to retrorse barbs. Antrorse barbs are not that effective as the grip is obviously less.

Regards

Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 12:26:58 PM10/13/10
to Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, Muthu Karthick
Agreed again Vijayasankar ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Muthu Karthick

Oct 14, 2010, 6:08:06 AM10/14/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, indiatreepix, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj
Dear all,
Many thanks for the id and the thread is of useful information and technical.