Sharing images of Lycoris sanguinea flowering

shetur

Apr 11, 2012, 7:48:59 AM4/11/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Images of Lycoris sanguinea (? hope I have identified correctly. pl confirm)

March end and April 1st & 2ndweek flowering in Mumbai in a pot

Flower Color: peach-apricot/orange-apricot
Family: Amaryllidaceae
Common Name: Magic lily, Resurrection lily, Naked lady lily

When the flowers of lycoris bloom, their leaves would have fallen; when their leaves grow, the flowers would have wilted.
In the images one plant is flowering and another one is growing leaves.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17RQ0TmW8__7ZlnsIsNWK2k4dbdCQYNlzkyUQiXoZlkM/edit

Images are of not best quality (taken from my cell camera) but I was searching on eflora and couldn't find a single image. So thought should share.
regards

ushadi Micromini

Apr 11, 2012, 8:13:44 AM4/11/12
to shetur, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sharing, lovely colors...  rare, most we see here are red...

I noticed you have a very ineresting way to plant your plants... eclectic posts... must reduce the weight of the container...  my question ... 1: can one keep these plants in plastic bags for long?
and 2:  what is that long tall almost translucent planter in the back right side?

would be interesting where roots need to be deeper than the usual 6 to 8 inch deep pots...

is it a long tube you designed from several bags or pipes ?

this information would be interesting for those of us who "garden" in a small balcony!!!
Thanks
 Usha di
========
--
Usha di
===========

shetur

Apr 12, 2012, 7:38:29 AM4/12/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Usha di, you have keen eye!!!

Yes, the space crunch leads one to interesting-ness and innovation.:)

More than the load it was space crunch which led me to use & recycle materials around me. Only some 7-8 months ago I would settle for nothing less than good old terracotta pots but now I happily use anything and everything which fits into my very narrow space.

1: can one keep these plants in plastic bags for long?

When I look at my happy plants I am forced to say YES.

I now worry about what mix I put into the plastic bag (bottle/jar) rather than in what I am putting my plant. For me soil+coco peat+ vermi compost equal parts work wonders.

And I am finicky about drainage and watering my plants. Never overwater!

For me the question now is how long the plastic bags would last. I just had first casualty in 7-8 months, a bird pecked a hole in my pippali’s thick bag and without much disturbing the roots I put the plant back in a new one!

2:  what is that long tall almost translucent planter in the back right side?

ok that is just a 2 liter bottle cut from bottom, yes for roots. And yes I have few other plants in 3-4 plastic bags put together as a single pot, just the way you thought!

This way not only I am able to use my narrow space but able use it vertically too by hanging the plants.

Happy ‘small balcony’ gardening!

Thanks & regards.

ushadi Micromini

Apr 12, 2012, 10:00:16 AM4/12/12
to shetur, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shetur: Thank you for the detailed explanation...
I need to find a source of coco peat...
a couple of years ago, visiting an old junior school teacher for nostalgia, her family took us on a tour of nearby lakes in deep villages of Bengal, there was a shed where some one was making coconut fibre rassi, so had a lot of small grainy peat, brought it washed it dried it etc and used it but my plants did not like it.

Have not found a source here locally, in Gujarat my friends tell me they are able to buy 25 lbs bricks that they break off, soak in h2o and use it..

I liked your use of the mom's grocery basket, pink too for a planter...

At the horticulture garden this year two stalls were selling coconut fibres sewn thru to make liners for hanging baskets... that would be better than the plastic saucers they are selling in nurseries...

Thanks again
Usha di
=======
--
Usha di

J.M. Garg

Jan 24, 2016, 6:48:36 AM1/24/16
to efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini, Bhagyashri Ranade, shetur
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images).