Scaevola sericea var. taccada (Half Flower, malayan rice paper, beach naupaka) ?

J.M. Garg

Nov 28, 2009, 3:45:19 AM11/28/09
to indiantreepix, Tabish, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
It was marked as Scaevola taccada on 31/10/09 at Herbal Garden, on the outskirts of Hyderabad, A.P.
I think it's cultivated for its medicinal properties.
KEW gives two accepted names as Scaevola sericea Vahl &  Scaevola sericea var. taccada (Gaertn.) Thieret & B. Lipscomb (syn. Scaevola taccada (Gaertn.) Roxb.) as per links:
Which one is correct name for the posted plant?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Scaevola sericea var taccada is it I2 IMG_3106.jpg
Scaevola sericea var taccada is it I2 IMG_3107.jpg
Scaevola sericea var taccada is it I2 IMG_3110.jpg
Scaevola sericea var taccada is it I IMG_3108.jpg
Scaevola sericea var taccada is it I IMG_3109.jpg
Scaevola sericea var taccada is it I IMG_3110.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 28, 2009, 6:36:28 AM11/28/09
to indiantreepix, Tabish, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
A reply from Shrikant ji:
"Dear Mr. Garg,
This is Scaevola sericea Vahl. This small tree or a large shrub is found on sandy shores to the south of Ratnagiri. This is also a known mangrove associate. I am not aware of any medicinal uses. Regards
Shrikant Ingalhalikar"

J.M. Garg

Nov 28, 2009, 7:23:12 AM11/28/09
to indiantreepix, Tabish, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Prashant awale
My flower appears same as at FOI, stated to be Scaevola taccada (Syn. Lobelia taccada, Scaevola frutescens, Scaevola sericea): http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Half%20Flower.html

I think correct name & syn. needs to be sorted out at FOI or my posted plant is different than Scaevola sericea Vahl

J.M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Jan 3, 2010, 11:25:12 PM1/3/10
to indiantreepix, Tabish, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
A reply:
"It is Scaevola sericea G. Forst. ex Vahl, Symb. Bot. 2: 37. 1791 GOODENIACEAE. (synonyms: Scaevola taccada (Gaertn.) Roxb., Fl. Ind. 1: 527. 1820; Lobelia taccada Gaertn., Fruct. 1: 119. t.25. 1788; Scaevola koenigii Vahl, Symb. Bot. 3: 36. 1794; Hook. f., Fl. Brit. India 3: 421. 1881; Scaevola frutescens (Mill.) Krause in Engl., Pfreich. Gooden.-Brun. 133. 1912; Gamble, Fl. Pres. Madras 73(516). 1921.

I don't come across with a var. for it.
kunhikannan"