Please identify this climber

Neil Soares

Sep 23, 2009, 1:45:04 PM9/23/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
   Photographed at Shahapur. Is this a species of Argyreia?
                      Thanks,
                           With regards,
                             Neil Soares.

Argyreia 1.jpg
Argyreia 2.jpg
Argyreia 3.jpg
Argyreia 4.jpg
Argyreia 5.jpg

Tabish

Sep 23, 2009, 3:19:16 PM9/23/09
to indiantreepix
Merremia umbellata?
- Tabish
>  Argyreia 1.jpg
> 103KViewDownload
>
>  Argyreia 2.jpg
> 155KViewDownload
>
>  Argyreia 3.jpg
> 153KViewDownload
>
>  Argyreia 4.jpg
> 51KViewDownload
>
>  Argyreia 5.jpg
> 47KViewDownload

Neil Soares

Sep 23, 2009, 10:32:58 PM9/23/09
to indiantreepix, Tabish
Thanks Tabish. Could it be Operculina terpethum?
                       Regards,
                         Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2009, 11:30:56 PM9/23/09
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Tabish
Neil ji, and Tabish, here are some of my photos of Operculina turpethum ... please compare, especially the flower bud is tell-tale.
... those of M. umbellata are I believe slender, and that of O. turpethum are almost spherical, and relatively large, with pinkish (or reddish) tinge.

... commonly known as: Indian jalap, St. Thomas lidpod, transparent wood rose, turpeth root, white day glory • Hindi: निशोथ nisoth, पिठोरी pitohri • Kannada: ಬಿಳಿತಿಗಡೆ bilitigade, ತಿಗಡೆ ಬೇರು tigade beru • Malayalam: ത്രികോല്പക്കൊന്ന thrikoolpakkonna • Marathi: निसोत्तर or निशोत्तर nisottar • Nepalese: निशोधि nishodhi, निशोथ nisoth • Sanskrit: निशोत्र nishotra, त्रिपुट triputa, त्रिवृथ trivrutha • Tamil: சரளம் caralam, சிவதை civatai, கும்பஞ்சான் kumpncan, பகன்றை paganrai • Telugu: తెగడ tegada, త్రివృత్ తెల్లతెగ trivrut tellatega

O. turpethum has host of synonyms: Argyreia alulata, Convolvulus anceps, C. maximus, C. turpethum, Ipomoea anceps, I. reptans, I. turpethum, Merremia turpethum, Spiranthera turpethum.

Regards.
3031136999_456f58d6d2_b.jpg
346568232_5fb47f9ab6_b.jpg
1963418045_947771a9aa_b.jpg
1963436279_7e902bb415_b.jpg
2638346599_6c58b1a0fc_b.jpg

Tabish

Sep 24, 2009, 12:16:10 AM9/24/09
to indiantreepix
Yes, I think Operculina turpethum it should be. My first thought was
Operculina turpethum, but the flower tube of Operculina turpethum
looked much broader to me, compared to that in Neil's pictures. But I
guess that was my wrong perception. The buds are really tell-tale.
Cheers!
- Tabish

On Sep 24, 8:30 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Neil ji, and Tabish, here are some of my photos of *Operculina
> turpethum*... please compare, especially the flower bud is tell-tale.
> ... those of *M. umbellata* are I believe slender, and that of *O. turpethum
> * are almost spherical, and relatively large, with pinkish (or reddish)

> tinge.
>
> ... commonly known as: Indian jalap, St. Thomas lidpod, transparent wood
> rose, turpeth root, white day glory • Hindi: निशोथ nisoth, पिठोरी pitohri •
> Kannada: ಬಿಳಿತಿಗಡೆ bilitigade, ತಿಗಡೆ ಬೇರು tigade beru • Malayalam:
> ത്രികോല്പക്കൊന്ന thrikoolpakkonna • Marathi: निसोत्तर or निशोत्तर nisottar •
> Nepalese: निशोधि nishodhi, निशोथ nisoth • Sanskrit: निशोत्र nishotra,
> त्रिपुट triputa, त्रिवृथ trivrutha • Tamil: சரளம் caralam, சிவதை civatai,
> கும்பஞ்சான் kumpncan, பகன்றை paganrai • Telugu: తెగడ tegada, త్రివృత్
> తెల్లతెగ trivrut tellatega
>

> *O. turpethum* has host of synonyms: *Argyreia alulata, Convolvulus anceps,

> C. maximus, C. turpethum, Ipomoea anceps, I. reptans, I. turpethum, Merremia

> turpethum, Spiranthera turpethum.*
>
> Regards.

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >   Thanks Tabish. Could it be Operculina terpethum?
> >                        Regards,
> >                          Neil.

Pardeshi S.

Sep 24, 2009, 2:11:15 AM9/24/09
to indiantreepix
at first sight it seems to be differnt than Operculina turphetum. then
i checked it with other plant which has fleshy calyx, checke dit twith
Rivea hypocratiformis, Ipomoea alba, Ipomoea salsettensis.
but it closely matches with Operculina turphetum. the leaves in this
plant are very variable ranging from orbicular, ovate, linear-
lanceolate, oblong or triangular, apex acuminate or mucronate, base
broad, truncate, cordate or sagittate.

the details are
Operculina turpethum (L.) Manso. Subst. Bras. 16, 1836; Cooke, Fl.
Pres. Bombay 2: 309, 1958 (Repr.); Almeida, Fl. Mah. 3: 344, 2001;
Singh et al, Fl. Mah. St. 2: 479, 2001; Pradhan et al, Fl. SGNP 418,
2005.
Synonyms: Convolvulus turpethum L. Sp. Pl. 155, 1753. Merremia
turpethum (L.) Shah & Bhatt, Fl. Gujarat 460, 1978. C. anceps L. Mant.
1: 48, 1767. Ipomoea turpethus (L.) R. Br., Prodr. Nov. Holl. 1: 435,
1810.
Common names: Nisothar, Dudhkalmi.

regards
Satish Pardeshi