ID required

Rajesh Sachdev

Jan 26, 2009, 10:10:08 AM1/26/09
to indiantreepix
Unbale to fimd this flower in all 3 books ( isaac kehmikar-1 & shrikant's-2). could not locate , such beautifull flower.
Pls ID it.

--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

Dinesh Valke

Jan 26, 2009, 10:26:08 AM1/26/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix
... Pedilanthus tithymaloides
commonly known as: adjutant's hedge, christmas candle, devil's backbone, Japanese poinsettia, redbird cactus, slipper spurge
named in Hindi: विलायती शेर vilayti sher
and in Marathi: निवळ nival, थुवर thuvara

Regards.

Rajesh Sachdev

Jan 26, 2009, 10:32:27 AM1/26/09
to indiantreepix, isaack...@yahoo.co.in, le...@rediffmail.com
Thanks for ID. Is it non-native specie. And , even if it is , how it went missing in all books. I am forwarding this pic to Shrikant and Isaac for thier reference.
ID.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 26, 2009, 10:57:55 AM1/26/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix, isaack...@yahoo.co.in, le...@rediffmail.com
... I am sure they know it very well ... I suppose their books deal ideally with wild flora (native and naturalised).
This one being more of garden flora, they may have decided not to include !!!

I am sure, at Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary, few of these are found near the chai-wala (tea-stalls).