Botanical name of mosambi

Samir Takaochi

Mar 1, 2010, 8:11:24 AM3/1/10
to indiantreepix
Hello, friends. Thank you always for your precious advice.

Again I d like to seek your adivce regarding mosambi.

Is botanic name of mosambi Citrus limetta or sinensis? According to this english name also differ as Sweet Lemon or Sweet orange.

I was not able to find answer so far.

Samir Takaochi

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 1, 2010, 8:15:57 AM3/1/10
to Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
and what is Kinnow or kino? Is it a deveoped variety? Does it seed and is it viable?
ak

Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma,Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

TANAY BOSE

Mar 1, 2010, 8:18:43 AM3/1/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Samir Ji,

Citrus limetta Risso. is a species of citrus. Common names for
varieties of this species include sweet limetta, Mediterranean sweet
lemon, sweet lemon, and sweet lime. In India, it is commonly called
sathukudi, mousambi, mosambi, or musambi

Regards,
Tanay

Satish Phadke

Mar 1, 2010, 9:39:37 AM3/1/10
to Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Citrus sinensis is the name for sweet orange or Mosambi.
Citrus reticulata is Santra
Citrus medica var. limetta is 'Mitha Limbu" Sweet lemon
Dr Phadke
May wait for some more opinions.

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 1, 2010, 9:43:13 AM3/1/10
to Satish Phadke, Samir Takaochi, efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 1, 2010, 10:07:46 AM3/1/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, Samir Takaochi, efloraofindia
Satish ji
Whenever I want to get confused, I try sorting Citrus scientific and common names. No two books would generally give you same results. Any way your seems to be the most agreed conclusion.
Pankaj ji
The link suggested by you is my favourite, and I rely it after KEW World Checklist and then GRIN. Incidentally even "Sorting Plant Names Site" finds it difficult to cope with multiple names in Citrus, although there may be only 20 to 25 recognised species as per Flora of China.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

Mar 1, 2010, 10:11:35 AM3/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, Samir Takaochi, efloraofindia
I agree with you Gurcharanji.
Bye the way is it true that the variety of Mosambi which we normally eat has been developed in Maharashtra(Or India)?Any idea.

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 1, 2010, 10:22:19 AM3/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, Samir Takaochi, efloraofindia
Dear Gurucharan ji,

 I was associated with this project earlier and contributed a lot.

http://www.google.com/webhp?tab=mw#hl=en&safe=off&q=+site%3Awww.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au+oudhia&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=c5aa4278f68e4a4

I feel that there is a need to prepare separate database like it under leadership of Dinesh Valke ji as he is master in this field.

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 1, 2010, 10:54:48 AM3/1/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, Samir Takaochi, efloraofindia
Agreed Pankaj ji, I find no other genus which needs Indian and Botanical names to get sorted. Wikipedia, even today places Mosambi under C. limetta.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 1, 2010, 11:43:26 AM3/1/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, Samir Takaochi, efloraofindia
Satish ji
It is now your turn to get confused, by asking about the origin of Mosambi. Here is some:

Mosambi? I thought Mosambi was the Hindi / North Indian name for our very own Sathugudi, till I hit across a site that said this name is from the African country Mozambique! (A detour on Mangoes: Bombay mango is cultivated not in Bombay, but in North-American Jamaica!) http://madonnaforbenj.blog.co.in/tag/mosambi/

One of the exotic species of Citrus is called Mosambi produced in Pakistan  http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/224254994/Mosami_citrus.html

Citrus limetta is a species of citrus. Common names for varieties of this species include sweet limettaMediterranean sweet lemonsweet lemon, and sweet lime. In India, it is commonly called sathukudimousambimosambi, or musambi.[1]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limetta

In Pakistan Citrus has mostly exotic varieties like Mosambi is from Mosambique,

Musambi may be of East African origin (Mozambique). http://www.fao.org/docrep/u5000e/U5000E0j.htm

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Mar 1, 2010, 12:34:16 PM3/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, Satish Phadke, Samir Takaochi, efloraofindia
I am confused, please go through the two links.
http://www.india9.com/i9show/Mosambi-44286.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_limetta
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Samir Takaochi

Mar 3, 2010, 11:50:02 PM3/3/10
to indiantreepix
Anand ji, Satish ji, Gurcharan ji, Yazdy, Thank you so much for your reply and precious information.

I have also saw those website and so got confused.

It looks like Citrus sinensis as Gurcharan ji has written. But if I can raise question from different viewpoint, why it cannot be limetta? If its not limetta then what is limetta exactly?

Could you advice me?

Samir Takaochi

Pankaj Oudhia

Mar 4, 2010, 1:44:39 AM3/4/10