RE: Eranthemum roseum

rashida atthar

Dec 7, 2009, 1:01:55 AM12/7/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Would like to inform that the inflorescence of E. roseum does not have any smell what so ever !! This was verified by the entire group yesterday at Aarey Road at Mumbai. Besides, the sources I have mentioned below, I also referred to Flora of Mah., Vol II pg 39 - here again it is mentioned "...inflorescence with strong sickly odour."  At present these are blooming at most places in Mumbai. Request all those who see it to kindly verify this please.

regards,
Rashida.

From: rashid...@hotmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Eranthemum roseum
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 03:14:50 +0000

Saw the first blooms of this beautiful and all too common plant at Aarey road, Mumbai on 22 Nov.'09. Am I correct in classifying these leaves as Attenuate leaves? Also seen on the plant older  flowers turning red.

After referencing to find out if  these flowers are fragrant or not, I find  some discrepancy. FOI website has it as fragrant.  FOS- pg 187: is saying .." Inflorescence with very strong odour" and Common Indian wild flowers -pg: 92 mentions "Flowers which fade to red, emit unpleasant odour".  Can this be resolved? Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.

Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Dec 7, 2009, 2:29:35 AM12/7/09
to indiantreepix
Can you please tell in brief how you performed this experiment of
smelling Eranthemum? At what time?

Gloxinia perrenis (Gesneriaceae) is a plant which gives are very sweet
odour at around 8 - 10 am in the morning. Rest of the day you cant
make out its smell.

In some primitive cycads, plants heat up and emit a toxic odor to
drive pollen-covered insects out of male cycad cones, and then use a
milder odor to draw the bugs into female cones so the plants are
pollinated.

There are many such examples which needs to be found......
Regards
Pankaj

rashida atthar

Dec 7, 2009, 2:39:55 AM12/7/09
to sahani...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
It was a normal simple smelling of the flowers. No other experiment! Itwas between 7.30 am and 12.30 pm. Last week too other friends have reported during morning time that there was no smell what so ever. We even tried to find out if there was some smell in the leaves but no just ordinary leaf smell !

Since it is blooming all over in Mumbai forests and some other places it will be very easy to verify this and whether there is any particular peculiar behaviour of this plant!

regards,
Rashida.

> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 23:29:35 -0800
> Subject: [indiantreepix:24700] Re: Eranthemum roseum
> From: sahani...@gmail.com
> To: indian...@googlegroups.com
> --

http://windows.microsoft.com/shop Find the right PC for you.

rashida atthar

Dec 7, 2009, 10:29:02 PM12/7/09
to sahani...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
One more observation at 5.00 pm yesterday of no smell at all  in E. roseum flowers, was reported by Ms Priti ji from CEC at the south end of national park in Mumbai.

regards,
Rashida.

From: rashid...@hotmail.com
To: sahani...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [indiantreepix:24701] Re: Eranthemum roseum
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 07:39:55 +0000
New Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.