Guidelines to insert images of several species in a GENUS page in Tabular Form

J.M. Garg

Nov 13, 2015, 2:18:07 AM11/13/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
--------- Guideline to insert images of several species in a GENUS page in Tabular Form --------

Please note : inserting images in tabular form takes time, specially if (1) internet connection is slow (2) if the genus consists of more than 5 or 6 species (it depends on how fast is your net connection).

Please also note : in tabular form maximum 3 images are best suited for a species.

Steps are :-
  1. Open genus page
  2. Open 2 or 3 or more (depends on net connection and skill) species pages; each in separate window/tab; also check if species pages already contain image-thumbnails (IF NOT, please edit the species pages first, it will make editing the genus page easier)
  3. Click EDIT button in genus page enabling editing mode
  4. Scroll downwards just below the "Subpage Listing" and Insert a "Horizontal Line" just below it
  5. Place the cursor below the "Horizontal Line" and Press "ENTER" key 2 or 3 times to expand your working space (where you are going to insert images of the first species)
  6. Now, instead of "inserting image" SELECT a TABLE from the MENU at the top-left window. Please select only 1 column & 1 row

  7. It will place a table ("mother table") at the cursor position, like-
  8.
  9. Placing the cursor inside the table (as above) press ENTER key, it will expand the TABLE downwards, like-

  10. ​Move the cursor up by pressing UP ARROW key in your keyboard
  11. Now, Insert/place another TABLE inside the "mother table". This time with 3 COL. 1 ROW.; It will create a "daughter table"; like-

  12. ​Place the cursor in the 1st COL of the "daughter table". We will insert one image of a species in this column (named "image1")
  13. NOW, go to one/1st Species window/tab and right click on one thumbnail to copy "image URL/image link"
  14. Insert image in the COLUMN - 1 above as you did in species page
  15. After the WORK on the first species is completed Press ENTER key and Insert a "Horizontal Line"
  16. Repeat STEP 5 to STEP 15 for the next species
  17. SAVE the genus page at end
Thank you
Regards
Surajit
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images).

surajit koley

Nov 13, 2015, 7:22:19 AM11/13/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Please, you must avoid selecting image having size of more than 200 kb, either in species page or in genus page. Else the page will take quite some time to open. Please check this page https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/species/a---l/f/fabaceae/acacia/acacia-dealbata which has a single image of 2 MB size.

Thank you
Regards

J.M. Garg

Nov 13, 2015, 10:21:41 PM11/13/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thanks, Surajit ji for pointing this out. This very important. All of us should follow it in future.
I think size of small image on efi page will be in proportion to the size of the original posted image.

J.M. Garg

Nov 13, 2015, 10:37:05 PM11/13/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
Hi, Surajit ji,
There is one problem in inserting images in this tabular form.
Anything inserted in tabular form (including the table From Floral Database of Tamilnadu) is not flexible- thus leading to not being seen in full width if screen size is smaller in width compared to the width of the table. This problem is not there if pictures are inserted without table. Pl. see ‎Senna page.
Can we find some solution to this ? One solution is to see the page by reducing page width by zoom in & out. But it can result in fonts becoming small to be properly readable.

surajit koley

Nov 14, 2015, 12:53:56 AM11/14/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I think size of small image (thumbnail) also depends on the resolution (800x600, 1024x768 etc; and square, rectangular, portrait or landscape format) of original uploaded image, Garg Sir.
Thank you
Regards

surajit koley

Nov 14, 2015, 1:52:52 AM11/14/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yes, there is problem in viewing the genus page if thumbnails are inserted in tabular form.

But, first let me explain why i tried alternative. Please check attached screenshots of Caesalpinia page, in full-screen and in reduced-screen (restore-down) mode. I find this kind of arrangement (of thumbnails of different species), specially in full-screen, is confusing to their respective genera.

Now, it is to be decided whether i should continue using the tabular format or not --

Certainly, Senna page works better in full-screen and in reduced-screen, as all thumbnails can be seen without obstacle, by scrolling down the page, but to a certain level. If you reduce the screen/window size further nothing (neither tabular nor non-tabular) would work (please check attached 04senna04 and 04cassia04 images).

What and How we will see in a Genus page depend on -
  • screen resolution of your computer display; mine is 1366x768; increase resolution you will see more content but in smaller size, and decreasing the resolution will have opposite effect
  • the browser you use, both Chrome and IE work same in my computer; since efi is hosted by Google i think the site is optimized form chrome browser
  • window size of your browser in reduced/restore mode
  • make and version of your browser
One probable solution to use tabular form (for image-thumbnails) in such a way so that it can be still be seen in reduced/restore down browser window is -
  • instead of inserting 3 images in 3col 1row (3x1) grid we can use 2x2 grid to insert 4 images of a given species; or we still can insert 3 images in 3 cells and species name in the 4th cell
If one uses much-reduced browser window he/she may still find the above method obstructive (in viewing) depending on his/her display resolution, browser make & version.

Probable solution to your " table From Floral Database of Tamilnadu" -
  • you perhaps can reduce the left pane width thereby giving the right pane more room at right side
  • you will have to reformat the table following the format of "Species with description & pictures in Flowers of India as on 2.1.14 : " table
We can not do much because the host page of the genus page that you created long ago had been defined to certain size (width) and/or with certain constraints by the google itself. Please note in my browser-window the existing format works to a certain reduced window/resolution level (see the attachment).

However, please note when you use "tabular form" you bind a thumbnail by a boundary so that it cannot get re-arranged according to browser window size/resolution. But if you keep thumbnails free from binding the thumbnails will be re-arranged automatically according to the page design.

So, should i follow the Senna format?
01cassia01.jpg
01senna01.jpg
02cassia02.jpg
02senna02.jpg
03cassia03.jpg
03senna03.jpg
04cassia04.jpg
04senna04.jpg
from flora database of tamilnadu.jpg
how caesalpinia page looks.jpg
how caesalpinia page looks2.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 14, 2015, 2:14:43 AM11/14/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Sandhya Sasidharan
Thanks, Surajit ji, for these details.
Yeah, pros & cons of both the system.
I feel let one follow whatever one likes keeping these factors in mind.

surajit koley

Nov 14, 2015, 2:33:43 AM11/14/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Sandhya Sasidharan
Thanks Garg Sir, to me Peltophorum by Bhagyashri Ji looks wonderful! But i may follow Rawat Sir.
Regards
surajit

Ushadi Micromini

Nov 14, 2015, 3:50:38 AM11/14/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, D.S Rawat
I just said it in another thread:
i quote ...

Gargji:
Senna page is well done and well behaved when i tried opening the pictures
less cumbersome
though the boxed page may look "better" to the eye at first glance it has formatting issues

My suggestion is to stay with what Dr. Rawat has originally laid out the steps

usha di

end quote

Usha di

Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Nov 14, 2015, 6:21:01 AM11/14/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Sandhya Sasidharan
Sorry Garg Sir, i won't follow Senna page format; either I follow my own format or I follow none.
Please see the attached screenshot.
Thank you
Regards
senna as it looks.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 16, 2015, 4:12:57 AM11/16/15
to Sandhya Sasidharan, efloraofindia
Thanks, Sandhya ji.
But these are not opening to big size. Which browser you are using & which version ?

On 16 November 2015 at 12:41, Sandhya Sasidharan <haritha...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Garg ji,

I had inserted pictures on the Caesalpinia genus page and completed it (someone else had done a few species). I followed the simplest format with a horizontal line between each species row. I find this easy.
Hope this is ok and I can follow the same format in other pages too.
Warm regards,
Sandhya

Nov 17, 2015, 1:52:15 PM11/17/15
to efloraofindia
Nov 18, 2015, 11:33:01 PM11/18/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
Thanks, Surajit ji, for this clarification.
Which version of IE you have checked this ?

Nov 19, 2015, 9:45:03 AM11/19/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
It's IE-11 on windows7 Sir
Thank you