DV - 28SEP09 - 0330 :: Solanum species at Saphale Ghat

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2010, 1:38:09 PM3/30/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Believing to be some Solanum species, ID please.

Date/Time : September 28, 2009 at 3.30pm IST
Location Place : Saphale Ghat, Maharashtra ... Altitude : 108 m ... GPS : 19°35'19.48"N, 72°50'50.96"E
Habitat : wild ... Type : along road
Plant Habit : armed shrub ... Height : about 1 - 1.5 m
Leaves Type : simple leaf, margin sinuated ?  ... Shape : elliptic ? ... Size : about 8 - 15 cm x 4 - 8 cm
Inflorescence Type : do not know ... Size : do not know
Flowers Size : about 20 - 25 mm ... Colour : lilac ... Calyx : do not know ... Bracts : do not know
Fruits Type : berry ... Shape : globose ... Size : about 8 - 10 mm ... Seeds : do not know

Other Info :
Fragrance : do not know ...  Pollinator : do not know ...  Uses : do not know

Regards.

3976567222_eb6e22e5da_b.jpg
3975796841_0d30c766db_b.jpg
3975800611_da3018e2ca_b.jpg

Satish Phadke

Mar 30, 2010, 2:34:02 PM3/30/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Appears to be Solanum anguivi
Dr Phadke

tanay bose

Mar 30, 2010, 3:28:06 PM3/30/10
to Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji.
Also think this plant is Solanum anguivi ..
Regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Dinesh Valke

Apr 2, 2010, 9:26:26 AM4/2/10
to tanay bose, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
1) Is Solanum anguivi native to India ?
NPGS / GRIN shows nativity to be tropical Africa and Arabian peninsula ... ENVIS - FRLHT states Indo-Malesia.

2) Please validate:  S. anguivi the present name of S. indicum

Regards.

tanay bose

Apr 2, 2010, 10:00:55 AM4/2/10
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia

Dear Dinesh Ji,
Please go through the information provided in the link below there is details about everything you want to know about S anguivi

Regards
Tanay

Dinesh Valke

Apr 2, 2010, 3:00:24 PM4/2/10
to tanay bose, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Tanay, already been through various pages for knowing the synonyms of S. anguivi.
Perhaps may not be competent enough to know the different S. indicum ... for instance

S. indicum auct. non L.  ... understanding that this is synonym of S. anguivi ... non-native of India
S. indicum Linn. ... found throughout India in the plains and foothills.

My earlier query, refined : would we not be having S. anguivi a non-native and S. indicum, a native of India, as separate species ?

Regards.

tanay bose

Apr 2, 2010, 3:12:57 PM4/2/10
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji
I think my answer will be no . S anguivi is introduced plant in india i hope based on the distribution pattern but had few changes in morphology due to abiotic conditions of the two regions are different hence named as S indicum .
Regards
tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 2, 2010, 11:42:58 PM4/2/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji and Tanay
After seeing the link provided by by Tanay, my confidence for calling this plant as S. anguivi as wavering. Two things are quite clear, the inflorescence seems to be looking different, more of a raceme in S. anguivi, here it is a cymose. Secondly the leaves are supposed to to sinuate or with rounded lobes, here the lobes are clearly acute. Also the flowers of S. anguivi should be purplish or white with purplish veins outside, which I don't see here. To me the above plant fits better with S. torvum Sw. Tanay your reasearch on this would perhaps bring some solution.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Apr 3, 2010, 1:09:20 AM4/3/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Dear gurcharan Ji,
You are right this plant complete matches with the description of Solanum torvum in eflora of China

Solanum torvum Swartz, Prodr. 47. 1788.

Shrubs 1-2(-3) m tall, sparingly armed, densely pubescent overall with many-rayed, grayish stellate hairs. Stems with stout, recurved, reddish or pale-yellow prickles 2.5-10 × 2-10 mm and sometimes bearing basal stellate hairs. Leaves solitary or paired; petiole 2-4 cm; leaf blade ovate to elliptic, 6-16(-19) × 4-11(-13) cm, with yellow, many-branched stellate hairs, armed or unarmed, base cordate or cuneate, margin sinuate or usually 5-7-lobed, apex acute. Inflorescences extra-axillary, many-flowered racemose panicles; peduncle mostly 1- or 2-branched, 1-1.8 cm, stellate pubescent. Flowers andromonoecious. Pedicel dark, slender, 5-12 mm, bearing simple glandular hairs and stalked stellate hairs. Calyx cup-shaped, 4-5 mm, pubescence as on pedicel; lobes ovate-lanceolate, 2-3 mm. Corolla white, rotate, 1-1.3 × 1-1.5 cm; lobes ovate-lanceolate, 8-10 mm, stellate pubescent abaxially. Filaments ca. 1 mm; anthers 4-7 mm. Style 6-8 mm. Fruiting pedicel 1-2 cm, thickened upwards, with sparse stellate and simple glandular hairs. Fruiting calyx ca. 1.5 cm. Berry yellow, smooth, glabrous, 1-1.5 cm in diam. Seeds discoid, 1.5-2 mm in diam. Fl. and fr. throughout the year.

Regards
Tanay

Dinesh Valke

Apr 4, 2010, 6:45:43 AM4/4/10
to tanay bose, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Tanay, ... going through S. anguivi and S. indicum :

Solanum anguivi Lam.

Native of tropical Africa to Arabian peninsula.

Synonyms:
(=) Solanum hermannii Dunal
(=) Solanum indicum auct. (previously associated with 2 accessions)
(=) Solanum indicum subsp. distichum (Thonn.) Bitter (previously associated with 1 accession)
(=) Solanum scalare C. H. Wright (previously associated with 1 accession)
(=) Solanum sodomeum L. (previously associated with 2 accessions)

Comment: = Solanum indicum auct. (non S. indicum L., nom. rej., a rejected name (nomen utique rejiciendum) under Vienna ICBN Art. 56 & App. V that is unavailable for use)

Ref: NPGS / GRIN :: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?310328

Solanum lasiocarpum
Dunal

Native to:
s China, Indian subcontinent, Indo-China, Malesia; cultivated in tropical Asia

Synonyms:
(=) Solanum ferox auct. (previously associated with 4 accessions)
(=) Solanum indicum L. (previously associated with 3 accessions)

Ref: NPGS / GRIN :: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?416240

... considering Solanum anguivi Lam. (syn. Solanum indicum auct.) and Solanum indicum L. (syn. of Solanum lasiocarpum Dunal) as separate species.

Regards.

tanay bose

Apr 4, 2010, 8:45:09 AM4/4/10
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia

Dear Dinesh Ji,

According to the 17th ICBN Vienna Code 2005 (published in 2006) in the ….

Chapter no: V

Article No:  56

Rule 56.1 States….. “Any name that would cause a disadvantageous nomenclatural change may be proposed for rejection. A name thus rejected, or its basionym if it has one, is placed on a list of nomina utique rejicienda. Along with the listed names, all combinations based on them are similarly rejected, and none is to be used.

In simple words we can say “Any botanical name which is liable for the inconvenience caused by it due to change of name is considered/proposed to be rejected. And also the basionym [The basionym (base name) is the first name validly published ever given to a biological species or genus which has priority over other names later given to the same species by different authors and the author of this name is called the basionym author] for it and also all the combination of botanical name involving it are also considered/proposed to be rejected and can’t be used under any circumstances.

Uder the this rule the name Solanum indicum L., Sp. Pl.: 187. 1 Mai 1753 [Dicot.: Solan.]. Lectotypus (vide Hepper in Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 76: 288. 1978): Herb. Hermann 3: 16, No. 94 (BM). Has been considered has a rejected name.

You have made a good research and have set a beautiful example that why the name Solanum indicum was rejected by ICBN in Vienna Code 2005.

Thanks you very much for your impeccable hard work. Hats off!!! To you from my side.

Regards

Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 4, 2010, 10:16:41 AM4/4/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji and Tanay
Looking for Species which could be the correct names now for specimens named and described as Solanum indicum, there are three candidates:

1. Solanum lasiocarpum Dunal, 1813 (S. ferox auct (non L.); FBI 4:233; S. indicum L.. nom. rej.; S. straminifolium sensu Kerr.(non Jacq.); Gandhi in Saldanha & Nicolson, Fl. Hassan Dist. 462, 1976)---- Plants hirsute, inflorescence leaf-opposed few-flowered cyme, corolla white or purple, fruit densely hairy, 2 cm diam.

2. Solanum anguivi Mam. (S. indicum auct. (non L.); Solanum indicum subsp. distichum (Thonn.) Bitter)- Plants stellate-tomentose, leaves sinuate or with rounded lobes, inflorescence many flowered, extra-axillary, flowers bluish purple or white with purplish lines outside, fruit ca 1 cm across, glabrous.

3. Solanum violaceum Ortega, 1809 (S. indicum auct,; FBI 4: 234; S. sodomeum L., nom. rej.). Plants finely tomentose, leaves sinuate, infl. leaf opposed or extra-axillary, fls up to 12, blue-purple, fruit orange, 1 cm diam.

Now an interesting observation. Of the publications of Indian subcontinent, I know of eflora of Pakistan lists S. anguivi, and not S. violaceum. Eflora of China lists S. violaceum but not S. anguivi. Revised Flora of Ceylone by Dassanayake list S. violaceum but not S. anguivi. More interestingly Dassanayake considers S. sodomeum L. (type Ceylone) as synonym of S. violaceum, whereas GRIN taxonomy page considers S. sodomeum L. as synonym of S. anguivi. All this and the key above suggests that S. violaceum and S. anguivi are closely related, and when looking for Indian equivalents of S. indicum we should be choosing between S. lasiocarpum (fruits ca 2 cm, densely hairy) and S. violaceum (fruits glabrous, 1 cm).

Then then we should also be careful about S. torvum whenever we have white flowered plant with leaf having acute lobes, and slightly larger (1.5 cm)  glabrous fruits.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
   ,

tanay bose

Apr 4, 2010, 12:49:59 PM4/4/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
Very well difined , your description regarding the Solanum species vividly describes why

Solanum indicum L., Sp. Pl.: 187. 1 Mai 1753 [Dicot.: Solan.].
Lectotypus (vide Hepper in Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 76: 288. 1978): Herb. Hermann 3: 16, No. 94 (BM).

AND

Solanum sodomeum L., Sp. Pl.: 187. 1 Mai 1753 [Dicot.: Solan.].
Lectotypus (vide Hepper in Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 76: 290. 1978): Herb. Hermann 3: 30, No. 95 (BM).

has been regarded as a regected name under the "NOMINA UTIQUE REJICIENDA" (Appendix V) of the ICBN Vienna Code 2005.

Thank you very much for focusing on the matter and explaing the reason for the rule in the code.
Thanky you
Regards
Tanay

rashida atthar

Apr 5, 2010, 7:25:45 AM4/5/10
to tanay...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, phadke...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good job Dinesh ji. Keep it up! Thanks a lot to Tanay ji and Dr. Gurcharanji for further insights into the Vienna code and how it works, quite complicated for non- botanists!.
I remember in a discussion some time back, Dr. Stephen  had given some explanations and good links for the same too.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 22:19:59 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:31509] DV - 28SEP09 - 0330 :: Solanum species at Saphale Ghat
From: tanay...@gmail.com
To: sing...@gmail.com
CC: dinesh...@gmail.com; phadke...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

The latest auto launches and test drives Drag n’ drop

tanay bose

Apr 5, 2010, 12:08:51 PM4/5/10
to rashida atthar, sing...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, phadke...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rashida Ji,
Thank you I am happy to know that all our efforts came into the good . Yes its bit complex to go through Codes but you get hold it it's easy as anything.
Regards
Tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 12:17:38 AM7/28/10
to indiantreepix
I think there are some issues in this post. Will do some research to
check out. Hats off to you Dinesh sir, you are the only one who seem
to have done hard work that too when you are not a botanist.
Just for information Solanum indicum was rejected according to article
69 which was proposed in 1978 after Leningrad Code (1975) and
rejection was accepted most probably in Sydney Congress in 1981 and
the rejection was published in 1986.
ICBN is very interesting for those who can understand the meanings of
the articles, otherwise its of no use misleading others. I still get
confused reading and understanding articles even after following both
Tokyo and Vienna code, that I have been following, so I believe its
not so easy, but yes, interesting.
I will try to get back on this....with more information.
Regards
Pankaj

> [...]

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 28, 2010, 12:36:32 AM7/28/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, TANAY BOSE, indiantreepix
Dear friends
A lot of effort has gone during last few months to develop harmonious atmosphere, cordiality and mutual respect in this group. Interacting in the group is an enjoying feature. I think reintroduction of sentences like "you are the only one who seem to have done hard work........." and " otherwise its of no use misleading others." can only pull back the group to older atmosphere. I can only request members to avoid such comments. It would be healthy for the group to just give ones opinion and not sit on judgement about others. This is my humble request. It needs hard toil to develop good atmosphere but just one to break it.
Let the good atmosphere prevail.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 2:22:01 AM7/28/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, TANAY BOSE, indiantreepix
I think my words were misinterpreted "you are the only one who seem to
have done hard work........." didnt end there it ended with "that too
when you are not a botanist". My intention was not to offend others
but to praise Mr. Dinesh who is a non botanist, but still his point
were very valuable. I am sorry if my words have hurt you. On the
contrary some point raised by others who were botanists were
misleading.

But there is one thing which I would like to point. Why is it that
only you (and two more) have issues with me and no one else?? I think
we should certainly not hamper the cordial atmosphere on the issue.
Let the science prevail and not the quarrel.

If any of my scientific opinions were incorrect then feel free to let
me know otherwise. I am a student and I always wish to learn more from
you or any other members of the group.

But anyways, I will certainly get back with more information on this
plant, just to enhance the knowledge of those who want to and not to
hurt any one else's feelings. If I have hurt some one then I am sorry
for that. It was truely unintentional.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 9:06:10 AM7/28/10
to tanay bose, indiantreepix
Dear Mr. Tanay,

If you are so much involved then I would request you to correct your
mistakes in the post rather than making excuses. I would really be
happy to see you correcting your own mistakes in the particular mail
on Solanum. Everything is available on the net except one article
which I have sent request to at the Linnean Society of London
otherwise I would have included information on the truth.

You are a botanist and I expect some good botany from you and not
politics and hereby maintain the cordial environment in the group.
I too hope you will follow to do so.
Regards
Pankaj

PS: Please dont send me any personal mails. I will not entertain that
in future. Discuss your matters in ITPMODS as suggested by Mr. Vijay

---------------------------------

Dear Pankaj ji & Gurcharan ji,
You are both quite matured as well as senior members of the group; it
really feels bad to see heated discussion between both of you.

Couple of point I will like to suggest Pankaj Ji not as only a members
of this group but as Moderator, it’s my duty to maintain all positive
aspects of the group.

1. Please don’t add negative comments to your statement like
“other members were misleading”. You are always welcome to put up your
own independent comment but are not in a position to decide or judge
others. Our group is an amalgamation of professional, amateur as well
as recreational botanists; hence it quite unjustified to comment such
words. Things which are known to you may be a completely new fact to
the other, if he/she puts up any comment you can’t reply to using such
words. There is no one in this world who can say he knows everything
and has nothing out of his knowledge.
2. If you really think you are a student then you should not use
comments like “Why is it that only you (and two more) have issues with
me and no one else??” it seems you are in a negative mood. This group
is not a debate class neither we members and moderators are
participating in a rat race where we will try to win a gold medal.
This is a group were we try to involve ourselves to relief our boredom
and hectic schedule of work and involve ourselves into what we really
like from our heart. Hence I see absence of the word “competition”
between our members. Humbleness and politeness should be a part of
everyone’s comment and rudeness should be avoided if it get introduced
accidentally should be a point of excuse.

What I mention in my comment is not points which I myself like to
introduce but these are mere moral of the group and being one of the
members it’s your duty to maintain it. I am not at all interested in
anyone’s background or what he is but will only comment if he/she is
deliberately/ innocently try to venture into and dislodge the code of
conduct of the group. I will not entertain any arguments to my
comments rather will humbly request you to be cautious in future. You
are an exceptional talent please don’t unnecessarily introduce
yourself into heated discussion and harm your reputation; we all
members have many things to learn from you and will look forward to do
so. It’s my kind request to stop this and help us all make this group
a better association, hope you will do so.

Regards
Tanay Bose.