... flowers of grass :: 29AUG09

Dinesh Valke

Aug 31, 2009, 11:14:46 AM8/31/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Hello friends,

I see this grass now flowering commonly in and around Thane (perhaps common in many places in India).
ID please.

(I did not think of leaves and other aspects of this grass)

Regards.

P1030128.jpg
P1030119.jpg
P1030124.jpg

Rakesh Biswas

Aug 31, 2009, 11:42:15 AM8/31/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Saccharum spontaneum?

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 31, 2009, 11:55:01 AM8/31/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Swapna Prabhu

Aug 31, 2009, 12:17:33 PM8/31/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Hi Dinesh,

I guess it to be Chloris sp. (C. barbata??)

-Swapna

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr. Swapna Prabhu
Systematic Botanist/ Taxonomist

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 31, 2009, 12:27:55 PM8/31/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
For me it is some species of Eleusine

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Dinesh Valke

Aug 31, 2009, 12:50:26 PM8/31/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Swapna Prabhu, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much, Gurcharan ji and Swapna,

I searched Flickr:

... I find Chloris barbata convincing at present.

Regards.

Rani Bhagat

Sep 1, 2009, 12:02:10 AM9/1/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Chloris barbata-Poaceae

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Say yes to yes and no to no
Rani Bhagat

Pardeshi S.

Sep 1, 2009, 1:08:36 AM9/1/09
to indiantreepix
Hello Dinesh Ji
check it with
Chloris virgata Swartz, Fl. Ind. Occ. 1: 203, 1797; Hook. f., Fl.
Brit. India 7: 291, 1896; Blatt. & McC. Bombay Grass. 255, 1935; Bor,
Grass. Ind. 468, 1960.
Common names: Gholshep, Ghorapuchhi.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

Dinesh Valke

Sep 1, 2009, 2:18:17 AM9/1/09
to Pardeshi S., indiantreepix
Satish ji, do you not think it to be Chloris barbata, as already put by Swapna, Rani ji and Prashant ?

At http://members.iinet.net.au/~weeds/western_weeds/poaceae_three.htm ...Chloris (windmill grasses) have an inflorescence that is usually purplish and composed of numerous digitate spikelets arranged on a short axis ... C. barbata (purpletop chloris) is an annual or short-lived perennial, to 90cm tall. It is distinguished by having three awns per spikelet (as opposed to two in other Chloris species) ...

The purplish colour of inflorescence is stressed in most of the descriptions, like http://plantsforuse.com/index.php?page=1&id=2117 and through http://www.efloras.org/browse.aspx?flora_id=5&start_taxon_id=106781

Attaching inflorescence (large size), but I wonder whether it would be of any help in counting "the three awns per spikelet".

Regards.
P1030128.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Sep 1, 2009, 4:41:20 AM9/1/09
to satish pardeshi, Indian Tree Pix
Satish ji's response below ....
Many thanks satish ji for the clarity and ID.

Regards.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 2:01 PM, satish pardeshi <satishp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Purplish inflorescneecis common in all the species of Chloris genus.
the pointis if the awns are 3 per spikelet then it is C. barbarata.
i guessed it C. virgata because of the short length of the spikes.
(c.barbarata has much longer spikes).

http://www.wnmu.edu/academic/nspages2/gilaflora/chloris_virgata.html

and

http://plantes-rizieres-guyane.cirad.fr/monocotyledones/poaceae/chloris_barbata

take a look at the size of the spikes  (inflorescence)

regards
Satish Pardeshi