Tree for ID : Mumbai : 03APR21 : AK-01

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 3, 2021, 4:29:24 AM4/3/21
to efloraofindia
A tree seen in Mumbai today growing straight upwards.
Bark was dark in color.
Garcinia Species?
Aarti
20210403_122739.jpg
20210403_122812.jpg
20210403_122815.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 7, 2021, 5:29:12 AM4/7/21
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Pl. post high resolution images.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 7, 2021, 7:47:49 AM4/7/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Second image.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 5:15 PM Aarti S. Khale <aarti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Garg Ji,
Adding one by one.
Regards,
Aarti
20210403_122812.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 7, 2021, 7:48:27 AM4/7/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Third image.
Aarti
20210403_122815.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 11, 2021, 12:03:57 PM4/11/21
to efloraofindia
On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 17:16, Aarti S. Khale <aarti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Garg Ji,
Adding one by one.
Regards,
Aarti

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:59 PM J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 11, 2021, 12:10:52 PM4/11/21
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Can it be Garcinia talbotii, though it is very difficult to say in vegetative stage?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 11, 2021, 12:11:20 PM4/11/21
to efloraofindia
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 11, 2021, 12:33:02 PM4/11/21
to radha veach, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Thanks, Radha ji

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 at 21:55, radha veach <radha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I cannot say with these images, sorry.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 12, 2021, 12:04:45 AM4/12/21
to J.M. Garg, radha veach, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg Ji and Radha Ji.
I will click some more pictures.
Regards,
Aarti

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 13, 2021, 2:22:29 AM4/13/21
to J.M. Garg, radha veach, efloraofindia
Radha Ji,
Adding more pictures.
The leaves are thin, glossy.
The tree is growing straight almost as tall as the Coconut tree next to it.
Tender leaves are pink.
Regards,
Aarti
20210412_145759.jpg
20210412_145754.jpg
P1420257.JPG
P1420272.JPG
P1420273.JPG
P1420276.JPG
P1420279.JPG
P1420281.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 13, 2021, 4:19:48 AM4/13/21
to Satish N. Pardeshi, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, radha veach
Thanks, Pardeshi ji

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 at 12:37, Satish N. Pardeshi <satishp...@gmail.com> wrote:
yes Garcinia species for sure.

Regards,

Satish N. Pardeshi
--
EACH ONE.... PLANT ONE...

Satish Pardeshi
Plant Taxonomist
Mumbai, Pune

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 13, 2021, 8:29:27 AM4/13/21
to J.M. Garg, Satish N. Pardeshi, efloraofindia, radha veach
Pardeshi Ji,
Thanks for supporting my suggested id of Garcinia.
The dark bark reminded me of Garcinia indica.
After you suggested Garcinia, I tried the fallen leaf which I had picked up earlier.
It is sour to taste.
So there is a possibility this could be Kokum, Garcinia indica.
Also, images on Eflora from a herbal garden in Pune are very close to this tree.
Regards,
Aarti

radha veach

Apr 13, 2021, 10:15:16 AM4/13/21
to Aarti S. Khale, J.M. Garg, Satish N. Pardeshi, efloraofindia
Yes, Garcinia indica is quite likely. This tree can grow very tall in crowded spaces. The colour of new leaves matches as well as the texture. G. talbotii on the other hand has thicker leaves. Sour taste is also an indication for G. indica.

Regards
Radha

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 13, 2021, 12:13:30 PM4/13/21
to radha veach, J.M. Garg, Satish N. Pardeshi, efloraofindia
Radha Ji,
You are correct.
There are many trees together.
Will look out for the flowers or fruits.
Garcinia indica came to my mind initially, because of the dark bark.
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Aarti