Is it a Begonia?

sibdas ghosh

Jul 4, 2009, 1:24:07 PM7/4/09
to indiantreepix
Two pics one from Sela Pass, and the other from Bumla Pass ( 13000 ft
and 14000 ft alt.) . Seems to be Wax Begonia. From the first time I
came across wild Begonia. In both places I found 1 or 2 plants. I.d.
requested
100_1191.JPG
100_1247.JPG

Farida Abraham

Jul 5, 2009, 10:53:21 PM7/5/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
yes leaves are definitely of begonia FA

nabha meghani

Jul 6, 2009, 4:25:02 AM7/6/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
hallo,
to me it looks like Bergenie
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergenien
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergenia
i have one in my garden, will see if i have some old fotos.
regards
Nalini

sibdas ghosh

Jul 6, 2009, 6:05:27 AM7/6/09
to nabha meghani, indiantreepix
Yes , it is quite possible that it is a Bergenia sp. Specially due to
the fact that Begonia are tropical and subtropical in distribution.
The present plant was photographed at an altitude of 11-12000 ft. In
the Himalaya, In the temperate Himalayas two species of Bergenia are
found, Kashmir Bergenia (B. ciliata) and Himalayan Bergenia (B.
stracheyii), From website pics, it seemed closer to B. ciliata.