please id this medicinal plant

arjunan

Jul 28, 2010, 1:09:55 AM7/28/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Please id this medicinal plant & would be grateful if someone could give me the marathi name & also the uses.

Thanks a lot

--
Best !

Arjun.
7 acres Forest Garden & Seed Collective
at village: Pishvi
taluka: Velhe
district: Pune
Maharashtra.
Pin : 412 212
http://dobighazameen.wordpress.com/
+91 981 0448200
+91 940 4241901
Copy of medicinal plants1.jpg

Senthilkumar

Jul 28, 2010, 1:43:57 AM7/28/10
to arjunan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Arjun
It is Kalanchoe pinnata. Family: Crassulaceae.

For further information:

Regards
Senthilkumar U.
--
Senthilkumar U.
BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,

mani nair

Jul 28, 2010, 1:46:59 AM7/28/10
to Senthilkumar, arjunan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Marathi name - Pan phuti, because new plants grow from the leaves of this plant.  It has medicinal properties.  I have seen the leaves of this plant for sale in one nursery in Mumbai.

Regards,

Mani.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 2:31:16 AM7/28/10
to efloraofindia
Pics are too small, but I thought this could be Kalanchoe pinnata,
commonly used name earlier was Bryophyllum calycinum. Thanks for the
update Mr. Mani, I wasnt aware that it had been transfered to another
genus.
Regards
Pankaj

arjunan

Jul 28, 2010, 11:52:18 PM7/28/10
to efloraofindia
A big thank you to everyone for the assistance

arjunan

Jul 30, 2010, 6:56:30 AM7/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Recently got this plant & was told that it has some medicinal values, please id & also if possible tell me the marathi name.

Thanks.

--
Best !

Arjun.

at village: Pishvi
taluka: Velhe
district: Pune
Maharashtra.
Pin : 412 212

medicinal plants.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 30, 2010, 8:11:35 AM7/30/10
to arjunan, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think Cucurbitaceae member.
May be Citrullus sp

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 30, 2010, 10:47:09 AM7/30/10
to arjunan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ya, Watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) may be!!!
Regards
Pankaj

arjunan

Jul 30, 2010, 12:58:14 PM7/30/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
dear friends,

this is definitely not from the cucumber family, but surely a medicinal plant..... please do excuse me for the poor photograph.

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 30, 2010, 1:04:48 PM7/30/10
to arjunan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm...yeah, it has no tendrils....
Sorry I overlooked....
Geraniaceae....?
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 30, 2010, 2:06:55 PM7/30/10
to Pankaj Kumar, arjunan, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have been thinking of Pelargonium all the time!! The stem and leaf base reminds me of that.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

nabha meghani

Jul 30, 2010, 4:53:55 PM7/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, arjunan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Indeed.  I have a plant called ZitronenGeranie Pelargonium graveolens. I don't know if it is a medicinal plant. It has lemon scent and it keeps insects away. So I have them in every room. I shall take a foto of Zitronengeranie tomorrow and post it
Just once it had two flowers. Hope i shall find those fotos too tomorrow.

Regards
Nalini

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 30, 2010, 4:55:56 PM7/30/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Mr. Arjunan,
Can you please inform if it was wild or from some garden. Just to know
if there are wild Geraniums in Pune.
Regards
Pankaj

arjunan

Jul 30, 2010, 8:39:55 PM7/30/10
to nabha meghani, Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Nabhaji, you've id'd the plant & thanx to all

The leaves does have a lemon scent

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 30, 2010, 9:07:14 PM7/30/10
to arjunan, nabha meghani, Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Nabha ji
You seem to have got the right species. I knew only P. zonale (which has different leaves), but somehow overall appearance reminded me of Pelargonium. I am happy that my guess helped.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

arjunan

Jul 30, 2010, 10:18:08 PM7/30/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj ji,

I had picked these plants from a nursery in Pune & the nursery owner
was not there to give me the proper names etc, his father only told me
that these are good medicinal plants & is a mosquito repellant. But
when i carried these plants to my land about 65 kms from Pune, my co
worker on the land told me that he has seen them in the forests.....
when the rains give a respite i can confirm with you.

regards,

Arjun

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 30, 2010, 11:07:08 PM7/30/10
to arjunan, efloraofindia
Yeah and my id of the Family helped too, but sorry abt cucurbitaceae !!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 30, 2010, 11:13:02 PM7/30/10
to arjunan, efloraofindia
Sorry Mr. Aarjunan, ur post was not on display unless I posted my
reply. But I am not sure, if Pelargoniums are found in wild in India.
Any members from south may be of help, otherwise species may be
different. Geraniums/Pelargoniums do have very variables leaves and
without flowers it becomes tricky to id them.
Hope this is the correct id.
Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 30, 2010, 11:16:00 PM7/30/10
to Pankaj Kumar, arjunan, efloraofindia
This is the beauty of the Group. It can pick up from a scratch and deliver the goods. I had thought about Pelargonium but remained quite as Cucurbitaceae was dominant view, but came out with Pelargonium when Cucurbitaceae was rejected and Pankaj ji hinted at Geraniaceae.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

arjunan

Jul 30, 2010, 11:28:36 PM7/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes, i must say for a layman farmer like me to interact with all of you experts is really humbling...... thank you to all.

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 30, 2010, 11:48:03 PM7/30/10
to arjunan, efloraofindia
Dear Mr. Arjunan,
Being a farmer is a good thing, because you have more field knowledge
that most of the botanists sitting in office. And your id,
"dobighazameen"seems to be very touching to me too.
Just wanted to add, during one of my field work, one tribal girl found
an orchid for me. I am attaching a pdf of it. Hope you will love to
read the article of mine. This goes to other members too who may like
to read it. The article is on page 2-3.
Do give ur comments.
Regards
Pankaj
001 2006 PA ORCH HUNT WII NEWSLETTER.pdf

Vijayasankar

Jul 31, 2010, 12:10:26 AM7/31/10
to Pankaj Kumar, arjunan, efloraofindia
The story is very touching, Dr.Pankaj. You seem to be a good writer too! I would have felt more happy if you had noted her name at least from her friends. A variety of such incidents occur during explorations, and they remain green in our minds forever. Keep writing such interesting incidents.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 31, 2010, 12:29:05 AM7/31/10
to Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, arjunan, efloraofindia
Really nice write up, Pankaj ji and a great adventure. Keep the good work on. The knowledge about our Orchid wealth is surely going to enlarge through your efforts and dedication.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2010, 12:42:48 AM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, Pankaj Kumar, arjunan, efloraofindia
Nice write up Dr.Kumar. thanks for sharing this lovely incident
tanay

arjunan

Jul 31, 2010, 12:58:00 AM7/31/10
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
dear pankaj ji,

Really nice write & thanx so much for sharing.

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 31, 2010, 1:20:38 AM7/31/10
to arjunan, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Dr. Vijay, Dr. Gurcharan, Mr. Satyendra, Mr. Tanay and
Mr. Arjunan for appreciation and encouragements. The pdf of
newsletters are available for free on our website:
www.wii.gov.in

in the publication section:

http://www.wii.gov.in/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=298

If you are interested then you may simply send one email to Mr.
K.K.Shrivastava - kks...@wii.gov.in or Dr. Jatinder Chadha -
jch...@wii.gov.in. Or you may send me your postal address I can post
it to you.

Regards
Pankaj

mani nair

Jul 31, 2010, 10:18:30 AM7/31/10
to Pankaj Kumar, arjunan, efloraofindia
Dear Mr.Arjunan,

Please send us a photo of the flower after it flowers.

Regards,

Mani.

arjunan

Jul 31, 2010, 11:44:44 AM7/31/10
to mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
dear maniji,

This discussion has surely made Zitronen Geranie or Pelargonium graveolens (do correct me & also do give me the local marathi name if possible) very very special on my land.

Surely will  take a photograph whenever it flowers & i hope it "flowers" :-))

nabha meghani

Jul 31, 2010, 4:25:06 PM7/31/10
to arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Hallo all,
 here are some fotos of Zitronengeranie ( german name. I don't know engl.name. Sorry).   Leaves and flowers taken in April 2008. I hope in this summer, it shall get some more Flowers.
Regards
Nalini
ZitronenGeranie-3546-k (2).jpg
ZitronenGeranie-100_3539-k.jpg
ZitronenGeranie-100_3541-k.jpg
ZitronenGeranie-100_3543-k.jpg
ZitronenGeranie-3540-k (2).jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 31, 2010, 10:21:03 PM7/31/10
to nabha meghani, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Nalini ji for sharing the photographs.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2010, 11:10:31 PM7/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, nabha meghani, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia

Dear Nalini Ji,

I am not aware of German name as I have no idea regarding the language. But the only the thing i can assume is the scientific name, which is ....

Pelargonium crispum (Berg.) L'Her. Engl.
gooseberry geranium, crisped-leaf geranium, lemon geranium, lemon-scented geranium, peach geranium.

Tanay

nabha meghani

Aug 1, 2010, 6:38:25 AM8/1/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thank you Tanay ji,
i am not aware of the exact scientific name of my plant as I have no idea of botany. But when i search for Zitronengeranie under which the plant is known here, i get Pelargonium graveolens. So i leave it to the experts to identify my plant as well as that of Arjun ji.
I hope you agree with me?
Regards
Nalini

Aug 1, 2010, 8:47:21 AM8/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, nabha meghani, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks for correcting me
Tanay

arjun

Aug 1, 2010, 10:31:55 AM8/1/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, nabha meghani, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanx to all once again. Also Gurcharanji can you tell me about the publisher of "The manual for Cultivated Plants, by L.H. Bailey and if anyone of you can tell me a about a good reference book/s for plants/ trees/ flowers for Western India.

regards to all & as you said on "friendship day ".... to all the unknown & virtual ones !!
--
Best !

Arjun.

at village: Pishvi
taluka: Velhe
district: Pune
Maharashtra.
Pin : 412 212

+91 981 0448200
+91 940 4241901

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 1, 2010, 12:52:52 PM8/1/10
to arjun, tanay bose, nabha meghani, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
The book, 1949 edition is published by Macmillan Co., New York. It is out of print. I bought a second hand copy while in USA. If you are planning to buy, go for Hortus Third published in 1969. An old copy may be available on the net at reasonable price.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 1, 2010, 2:08:18 PM8/1/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for appreciation Vijay, Dr. Gurcharan, Mr. Tanay and Mr.
Arjunan.
I am still waiting to start my second article ANOTHER DAY ON ORCHID
HUNT IN JHARKHAND!!
Hopefully I would WRITE it soon....its just there in head. May be i
would write about my recent trip ...
Special thanks to Dr. Gurcharan for his good words.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 1, 2010, 2:17:06 PM8/1/10
to efloraofindia
HORTUS and EXOTICA are available at CROSSROADS Mumbai, I remember
seeing the fresh copies there. Just in case there are many roadside
shops too in Mumbai from where you can get these books at very
unexpected rates!!! Swapna Prabhu, Santosh Yadav or Hemant Tripathi
may be of help.
The manual for Cultivated Plants I think I have seen at Bisen Singh
Mahendra Pal Singh or Natraj Publications in Dehradun.
Regards
Pankaj

nabha meghani

Aug 1, 2010, 2:39:59 PM8/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thank you Prof. Singh ji for clearing the doubts.
I have really no idea about the different varieties and species etc. etc. I can differenciate between sunflower  and oxalis, there ends my knowledge. I just enjoy looking at the flowers and the insects. So I am really glad that the exact identification is done by experts in this group
Thanks again to you.
Tanay ji,
I really admire your enthusiasm, I thought you would be packing your suitcase, but you are IDing Flowers. Great!
Bon Voyage, Gute Reise, Have a nice journey.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 1, 2010, 9:30:25 PM8/1/10
to nabha meghani, tanay bose, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Nalini ji
This is why I love this group. There are people with little or no botanical knowledge, but their knowledge about plants is amazing. Your knowledge about plants, I suppose is second to none, and your enthusiasm unparalleled. That is the beauty of the nature. You can know it if you have desire to do so. I remember, when I was struggling to differentiate various species of Brassica, my mother showed me few days old young plants with barely three or four leaves and could tell me difference between what we call mustards and coles. I have learnt many things about plants from her, and imagine she never went to school. Here on our group also there are several nonbotanists, Garg ji, Dinesh ji, Tabish ji, Yazdy ji, you, to name a few (others pl. excuse me for not naming them) who are both the engine and the oil for this group. We are lucky to be the part of this group. Perhaps my interest in plants (nature) would not have been renewed, had I not joined this group. I would have remained at armchair botanist.
      This group has also changed working style of we botanists (at least me). Earlier if we got a new plant, we would collect our books, get hold of microscope, needle, brush and blade, and sit for hours to identify the unknown plant, and may still be sometimes unsuccessful, and then send the plant or photograph to an expert or a mailing group (TAXACOM was my favourite then). Now I do the reverse. Whenever, I get a new plant, I immediately send the photograph to our group, and ninety per cent of the times or more I get identification (or important clues) within minutes. Only if I don't get identification here, I sit with the plant and books/internet, or enlarge photograph on my computer and attempt its identification.
      The group has also changed my working philosophy. We were told by our elders/teachers that you should tell the identification only if you are 100 % sure. If we follow this policy, not 10 % of plants would get identified. We here have invented a new strategy (and I advocate it strongly), just throw a wild guess (don't hesitate about it), it will initiate rigorous search by other members to reach the correct identity. And this I think is the trademark of this group. And this we do exchanging light hearted comments to keep the spirit on. There was a lot of knowledge and goodwill involved about the LATIN NAMKARAN CEREMONY OF DINESH JI YESTERDAY.

Let the spirit continue, and as they say "IS GROUP KO KISSI KI NAZAR NA LAG JAI"

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 1, 2010, 11:26:07 PM8/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, nabha meghani, arjunan, mani nair, efloraofindia
:p
Slide58.JPG

tanay bose

Aug 1, 2010, 11:39:00 PM8/1/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, nabha meghani, arjunan, mani nair, efloraofindia
Very well said by Sir Ji and less to say from my side the same thing.
Pankaj Ji added the "NIMBU MIRCHI" and completed the ritual.

Tanay

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:
:p

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 1, 2010, 11:59:02 PM8/1/10
to tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, nabha meghani, arjunan, mani nair, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji and Tanay

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

nabha meghani

Aug 2, 2010, 5:13:31 AM8/2/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
You are right  Prof. Singh ji,
I have nothing more to add, to what you have written.
Thanks to all and regards

Madhuri Pejaver

Aug 3, 2010, 9:54:37 AM8/3/10
to Gurcharan Singh, nabha meghani, tanay bose, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dear Nalini
one of my friend told us once that we will meet near a perticular Ficus tree. We all said there is no Ficus there, she started telling all the clues from which we could understand that she was telling about Cycus and not Ficus.
We laughted. She said kya thumhare nam yar Cycus ho ya Ficus. ZAD to Hai. Latter after a few days same friend said we will meet under rain tree at a specific spot, and we were surprised to know that she has learned few trees.
Just felt like narrating this and pulling leg of Tanay further.
We all admire him that he is great in identifying plants(and he is no doubt or second thought for it).
But one fine day he send a mail of Chilly flowers and ask id. When id was told he writes how can it be ? these plants are growing like weeds in his backyard. then he was told to wait and watch.
Now he says lots of chillies do come to his weeds.
HaHaHaHaHahahahahahaha
Sorry Tanay but could not resist to pull your leg
Madhuri

Aug 3, 2010, 12:27:14 PM8/3/10
to Madhuri Pejaver, nabha meghani, tanay bose, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Sorry Madhuri ji
Your attempt to pull his legs failed, as he will not be reading mails for next few days. But who knows, he is Tanay and may start his interactions, once he reaches Canadian shores. I really love this boy for his intelligence, sincerity and boldness. He is really centre of attraction in this group.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

formp...@yahoo.com

Aug 3, 2010, 4:15:21 PM8/3/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, nabha meghani, tanay bose, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar
Yes Sir
We will miss his letters for a few days.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 21:57:14 +0530
To: Madhuri Pejaver<formp...@yahoo.com>
Cc: nabha meghani<nabha-...@gmx.de>; tanay bose<tanay...@gmail.com>; arjunan<dobigh...@gmail.com>; mani nair<mani....@gmail.com>; Pankaj Kumar<sahani...@gmail.com>; efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:43312] Re: please id this medicinal plant

Smilax004

Aug 4, 2010, 3:12:43 AM8/4/10
to efloraofindia
Dear all,

It is Kalanchoe pinnata.

You know one interesting thing about this plant? It has the capacity
to produce young plants from the edges of the leaves!
A very interesting way of vegetative propagation. Please refer the
following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalanchoe_pinnata

Regards
Giby

On Jul 29, 8:52 am, arjunan <dobighazam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A big thank you to everyone for the assistance
>
> On Jul 28, 11:31 am, Dr Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Pics are too small, but I thought this could be Kalanchoe pinnata,
> > commonly used name earlier was Bryophyllum calycinum. Thanks for the
> > update  Mr. Mani, I wasnt aware that it had been transfered to another
> > genus.
> > Regards
> > Pankaj

tanay bose

Aug 5, 2010, 3:01:14 AM8/5/10
to formp...@yahoo.com, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, nabha meghani, arjunan, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar
Hope not makink my steady return,
I tell u a something onr of my friends more dumb, be was vsist a house and he made a location mark out it. the mark was nothing but an election portion but the elction was over he went there and could not find the house.
tanay