malti

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 1, 2008, 1:38:03 PM10/1/08
to malyada, indiantreepix
Malyadaji! Sometime back when there was discussion about jasmines, there was mention of MALTI creeper. There was a picture also. I wanted to plant this creeper at home, but I am not getting its botanical name. can somebody tell me the botanical name, and if possible repeat the picture.
thanks profusely.
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Bhind Road

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 1, 2008, 1:45:14 PM10/1/08
to malyada, indiantreepix
My best guess is Echites caryophyllata for Malti. am I right?

sibda...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 2:02:39 AM10/2/08
to indiantreepix
Yes it is Echites caryophylla Roxb.(or better Aganosma caryophyllata,
renamed by D.Don). In Bengali it is called Malati, a plant , very much
adored by Tagore. It is a climbing shrub , belonging to the family
Apocyanaceae. However, I suspect there is a Jasmine which is also
known as Malti, in some part of the country .

J.M. Garg

Oct 5, 2008, 2:54:53 AM10/5/08
to sibda...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

mal...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2008, 10:57:45 PM10/6/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix
Hi Anand,

I am finally back:) Been shifting places and all sorts of things, and could not get the time to post the reply. And no, you are not right I guess. Various sources on the internet put it as Aganosma dichotoma.
I am sure of the family though - Apocynaceae (Oleander family). If you are based in Gwalior then this creeper would surely bloom, I have seen lots of them there in the garden of a family friend. Here are some links:

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Malati.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/1094439019/

thanks and i hope to be back to contributing to the group soon.
malyada

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 7, 2008, 3:03:42 AM10/7/08
to mal...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Malyada!  Who is the family where you have seen it. If at all those people don't mind. Maybe we would be known to each other.
Good that you are back.
akbhatt

A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.