Tallest trees

Satish Phadke

Sep 6, 2010, 12:37:12 PM9/6/10
to indiantreepix
Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens): 115.56 m (379.1 ft), Redwood National Park, California, United States is considered as the tallest tree in the world.
In my recent visit to California I had  a chance to observe some of these tall coast Redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) in Yosemite National Park and Big Basin  redwoods state park. Sharing some of the pictures..
The biggest in Big Basin were the Father and The mother of the forest.
Father of the forest:
Diameter at breast height: 16 ft 10 in
Circumference at ground: 66 ft 9 in
Height : 250 ft.
Mother of the forest:
Diameter at breast height: 15 ft 2 in
Circumference at ground: 70 ft
Height : 329 ft.
Dr Phadke
IMG_0906s.jpg
IMG_0907s.jpg
IMG_0914s.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg

tanay bose

Sep 6, 2010, 9:18:14 PM9/6/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks Satish Ji for sharing the photos of the natural wonder of the world.
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Kenneth Greby

Sep 6, 2010, 10:18:21 PM9/6/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Satish--

 The trees at Yosemite are Sequoiadendron giganteum; the coastal trees at Big Basin are Sequoia sempervirens.

Regards--
Ken.

Sep 7, 2010, 3:55:18 AM9/7/10
to Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix
Thanks Ken for correcting me.
I was under the impression that most of them are Coast Redwoods. Of course as per name  the distribution of coast Redwood is very specific along the pacific coast of North America and the park is far away from coast.
Satish

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 7, 2010, 9:06:05 AM9/7/10
to Satish Phadke, Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix
Here are the two from my collection of California last year.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor