પિપળો - Ficus religiosa

dhaivat hathi

Jan 24, 2009, 5:09:50 AM1/24/09
to Adesh Shivkar, Arpit Deomurari - The Waders, Ashok Mashru, BCSG Ajay Desai., BCSG Amit Jethava, BCSG Bakulbhai Trivedi, Dr., BCSG Bharat Rughani, BCSG Bhavbhuti Parasharya, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, BCSG geeta s padate, BCSG Indra Gadhvi, BCSG Jawahar Patel, BCSG Kandarp Kathju, BCSG Nandita Amin, BCSG Nishith Dharaiya, PhD, BCSG Piyush, BCSG Pranav Trivedi, BCSG PS Thakkar Dr., BCSG Rajendra Desai, BCSG Rajendrasinh Jadeja, BCSG Raju Vyas, BCSG Ranjit Devkar, BCSG Snehal Patel, BCSG Yash Bhatia, Dhaivat, Hershal Pandya, indiantreepix, Jaidev Dhadhal, Kishansinh Gohil, lavkumar khachar, Mayur Mistry, medhir pandya, Naresh Mankad, rajdeep jhala, rajesh shah, Saloni, Saloni Desai, sep_...@googlegroups.com, shivangi patel not in Ab'd, Vipul Ramanuj, pratik...@gmail.com
Local Gujarati Name - પિપળો

Local English Name - Peepal

Botanical name - Ficus religiosa

Details - Scared tree for Hindus and Buddhhists.. Long living tree, over 1000 years.. Fruits are eaten by birds and bats, leaves used to feed camels and elephants.. Home of lacks of insects so again very useful to birds like Flycatchers..

our sourse of Information is Trees of India - Oxfort Uni Press

--
Have a nice time,
Regards,

"Monitor alone uses more than half of computer's total power. I choose to switch off the monitor everytime I take a break."

Save a tree - please do not print this email unless you really need to.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jan 24, 2009, 9:06:15 AM1/24/09
to dhaivat hathi, Adesh Shivkar, Arpit Deomurari - The Waders, Ashok Mashru, BCSG Ajay Desai., BCSG Amit Jethava, BCSG Bakulbhai Trivedi, Dr., BCSG Bharat Rughani, BCSG Bhavbhuti Parasharya, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, BCSG geeta s padate, BCSG Indra Gadhvi, BCSG Jawahar Patel, BCSG Kandarp Kathju, BCSG Nandita Amin, BCSG Nishith Dharaiya, PhD, BCSG Piyush, BCSG Pranav Trivedi, BCSG PS Thakkar Dr., BCSG Rajendra Desai, BCSG Rajendrasinh Jadeja, BCSG Raju Vyas, BCSG Ranjit Devkar, BCSG Snehal Patel, BCSG Yash Bhatia, Dhaivat, Hershal Pandya, indiantreepix, Jaidev Dhadhal, Kishansinh Gohil, lavkumar khachar, Mayur Mistry, medhir pandya, Naresh Mankad, rajdeep jhala, rajesh shah, Saloni, Saloni Desai, sep_...@googlegroups.com, shivangi patel not in Ab'd, Vipul Ramanuj, pratik...@gmail.com
Peepal has a long leaf which is pointed and long at the end. The result is that  the slightest breeze moves it and the leaves make that typical sound. That is why in Sanskrit it is also called CHALDAL
i HAVE NOT TRIED IT BUT IF you let it rot in water it has the web of veins left, which is often used in greeting;cards.
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

figtree

Jan 24, 2009, 1:47:18 PM1/24/09
to indiantreepix
Just using scientific description- the leaves are petiolate, petioles
long , leaves heart shaped, acuminate- with long pointed tip.

On Jan 24, 7:06 pm, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peepal has a long leaf which is pointed and long at the end. The result is
> that  the slightest breeze moves it and the leaves make that typical sound.
> That is why in Sanskrit it is also called CHALDAL
> i HAVE NOT TRIED IT BUT IF you let it rot in water it has the web of veins
> left, which is often used in greeting;cards.
> akbhatt
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 3:39 PM, dhaivat hathi <dhaivat.ha...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > *Local Gujarati Name - પિપળો*
> > **
> > *Local English Name - Peepal*
> > **
> > *Botanical name - Ficus religiosa*
>
> > *Details - Scared tree for Hindus and Buddhhists.. Long living tree, over
> > 1000 years.. Fruits are eaten by birds and bats, leaves used to feed camels
> > and elephants.. Home of lacks of insects so again very useful to birds like
> > Flycatchers.. *
> > our sourse of Information is *Trees of India - Oxfort Uni Press*
>
> > --
> > Have a nice time,
> > Regards,
> > Dhaivat & Rajdeep..
>
> > "Monitor alone uses more than half of computer's total power. I choose to
> > switch off the monitor everytime I take a break."
>
> > Save a tree - please do not print this email unless you really need to.
>
> --
> Anand Kumar Bhatt
> A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
> Gwalior. 474 005.
> Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Jan 27, 2009, 1:13:47 AM1/27/09
to figtree, indiantreepix
Some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_fig

The Sacred Fig (Ficus religiosa) or Bo-Tree (from the Sinhala bo)[1] is a species of banyan fig native to India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, southwest China and Indochina east to Vietnam. It is known by a wide range of local names, such as Bo or pou , bawdi or bawdi nyaung in Burmese language, Bodhi (โพธิ์) (in Thai Language, though pronounced Po), Pipal (peepal, peepul, pippala, pimpal, etc.), arasa maram or Ashvastha tree. It is a large dry season-deciduous or semi-evergreen tree up to 30 m tall and with a trunk diameter of up to 3 m.

The Bodhi tree and the Sri Maha Bodhi propagated from it are famous specimens of Sacred Fig. The known planting date of the latter, 288 BC, gives it the oldest verified age for any angiosperm plant.

This plant is considered sacred by the followers of Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism, and hence the name 'Sacred Fig' was given to it. Siddhartha Gautama is referred to have been sitting underneath a Bo-Tree when he was enlightened (Bodhi), or "awakened" (Buddha). Thus, the Bo-Tree is well-known symbol for happiness, prosperity, longevity and good luck. Today in India, Hindu Sadhus still meditate below this tree, and in Theravada Buddhist Southeast Asia, the tree's massive trunk is often the site of Buddhist and animist shrines.

sibdas ghosh

Jan 27, 2009, 10:00:42 AM1/27/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
May I add some more words about the plant? It is being said that the seeds do not grow as such, they grow well when the figs are eaten by birds and come out as excreta, so young seedlings can be seen sprouting in cracks and crevices of old plants , old buildings etc. Often grow as saprophytes in the young stage. The young leaves are pinkish in colour, the chromoplasts change to chloroplasts when few days old. The protruded leaf- apex (acuminate) seems to vary in legth, in some 5-6 mm long in others (vars?) much shorter. So far I know  in the species which grow in Hawaii the apex is not much protruded.

When the Aswath (Beng, for F. religiosa) grows side by side with Bawt (F. bengalensis) , village folk (Hindus) perform marriage ceremony between them and often can be seen with a fused trunk. This combo secures a great religious significance and people often attach red thread etc on the branches with promises of more offering if desires or prayers are fulfilled. In some regions dominated by tribal you may see earthen dolls, horses etc. as offerings.

Incidentally, Aswaththa (In literary Beng., perhaps that is derived from Sanskrit) does not grow so well as F. begalensis in Bengal, as such Bawt is much moreintimately associated with social and religious life in Bengal than F. religiosa.
2009/1/25 figtree <sibda...@gmail.com>

Sibdas Ghosh

bindu kapadia

Jan 27, 2009, 12:53:18 PM1/27/09
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, dhaivat hathi, Adesh Shivkar, Arpit Deomurari - The Waders, Ashok Mashru, BCSG Ajay Desai., BCSG Amit Jethava, BCSG Bakulbhai Trivedi, Dr., BCSG Bharat Rughani, BCSG Bhavbhuti Parasharya, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, BCSG geeta s padate, BCSG Indra Gadhvi, BCSG Jawahar Patel, BCSG Kandarp Kathju, BCSG Nandita Amin, BCSG Nishith Dharaiya, PhD, BCSG Piyush, BCSG Pranav Trivedi, BCSG PS Thakkar Dr., BCSG Rajendra Desai, BCSG Rajendrasinh Jadeja, BCSG Raju Vyas, BCSG Ranjit Devkar, BCSG Snehal Patel, BCSG Yash Bhatia, Dhaivat, Hershal Pandya, indiantreepix, Jaidev Dhadhal, Kishansinh Gohil, lavkumar khachar, Mayur Mistry, medhir pandya, Naresh Mankad, rajdeep jhala, rajesh shah, Saloni, Saloni Desai, sep_...@googlegroups.com, shivangi patel not in Ab'd, Vipul Ramanuj, pratik...@gmail.com
Yes, we used to do that when young !.After soaking,we have to go on rubbing it carefully on the flat stone so as not to damage the veins.And then paint designs on it.
Regards,
Bindu

Nudrat

Feb 6, 2009, 12:52:45 AM2/6/09
to indiantreepix
Hello

Some more info on Ficus religiosa. This ficus belongs to the group of
strangler ficus as it begins its life in crevices of trees. The roots
of young seedlings grow rapidly while the shoot growth is stunted.
Once the roots establish contact with the ground they start growing
and ultimately strangles the host tree. This entire process takes
atleast 50-100 yrs. This group of strangler Ficus has been categorized
as hemiepiphytes. They are never dependant for food on their host
except for support.These Ficus are also known as Keystone trees as
they provide food to a large number of animals during lean period