¿ fruits of any Casearia species ?

Dinesh Valke

Mar 25, 2009, 7:01:31 AM3/25/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Hello friends,

What could be these fruits of ?

Habitat: scrub forests on plains at about 2200 ft.
Location: Kamshet, near Pune
Date: 2 MAY 2008

Search results for Casearia species have its leaves serrated or hint of serration; makes me think this plant may not be any Casearia at all.
ID please.

Regards.
2464458306_8ec5132e72_b.jpg

Neil Soares

Mar 25, 2009, 8:47:34 AM3/25/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dinesh,
   They are the fruit of Casearia esculenta locally called Kirmira or Kulkulta.
                           Regards,
                              Neil.

Neil Soares

Mar 25, 2009, 9:02:44 AM3/25/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dinesh,
      Sending you some of my photographs of the same.
                        Regards,
                          Neil.

--- On Wed, 3/25/09, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Casearia esculenta,Kirmira 1.jpg
Casearia esculenta,Kirmira 2.jpg
Casearia esculenta,Kirmira 3.jpg
Casearia esculenta,Kirmira 4.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 25, 2009, 9:13:28 AM3/25/09
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Neil ji.
The photographs helped too.
Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 25, 2009, 10:51:44 AM3/25/09
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
NEW QUERY ...

... attached here are 3 photos of a leaf-less small tree, about 15-20 ft (at Nagla block of Sanjay Gandhi National Park - 22 MAR 09), with fruits almost all over its slender branches.
These fruits seem so similar to those of the small 4 ft shrub posted earlier in this thread, leading me to believe this one to be again a species of Casearia.
... could be ¿ C. elliptica, C. esculenta OR any other ?.

P1230589.JPG
P1230588.JPG
P1230587.JPG

Dinesh Valke

May 7, 2009, 11:34:19 PM5/7/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
... in the earlier part of this thread, Neil ji has provided local names for C. esculenta, in Marathi as Kirmira or Kulkulta.

Calling Marathi knowing friends ... please validate these spellings:

किरमीरा
कुळकुळटा

Will also be glad to know about their dervaitions / meanings.

Dilip Pandit

May 8, 2009, 5:33:46 AM5/8/09
to dinesh...@gmail.com, Indian Trees
Marathi spellings appear to be fine.

Dilip Pandit

Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 09:04:19 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:11784] Re: ¿ fruits of any Casearia species ?
From: dinesh...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

Dinesh Valke

May 8, 2009, 5:40:27 AM5/8/09
to Dilip Pandit, Indian Trees
Thank you very very much, Dilip ji.
Friends, any elaborations, meanings, derivations &c ?
Regards.

Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop

Dinesh Valke

May 8, 2009, 10:16:31 AM5/8/09
to Indian Trees
Hello Kannada knowing friends,

.... doddahanise, hillange, hillehanise -- these are the kind of common names (found at ENVIS - FRLHT, Forest Flora of Andhra Pradesh) for C. esculenta, the esculent-leaved false kamela.
Please let know whether any or all of these make sense; or suggest the correct names.

JM Garg

Jul 13, 2020, 8:04:58 AM7/13/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, Neil Soares
Casearia zeylanica (syn. C. esculenta) is different as per images and details herein.
2464458306_8ec5132e72_b.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 13, 2020, 11:30:33 AM7/13/20
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Thanks very much, Garg ji,
It is already labelled so in my flickr photostream.
Regards.
Dinesh