Schleichera oleosa(Kusum)

satish phadke

Apr 8, 2009, 10:37:12 AM4/8/09
to indiantreepix Indian
Schleichera oleosa syn.Schleichera trijuga
A Sapindaceae family member is flowering at present around Pune.
A rare one in this area. I have seen only two such trees in Vetal Tekdi area.
A lot of discussion has already taken place earlier about this tree.
This is just to share the photographs taken by me yesterday.
Marathi name KUSUM/ KOSHIMB..................probably the kusumbi name of the colour described is taken from the colour of its bright orange red summer foliage.
Leaves compound paripinnate 4-6 pairs of leaflets.
Flowers very small. Five sepals.NO PETALS.
Satish
--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Schleichera oleosa(Kusum).jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 8, 2009, 11:18:55 AM4/8/09
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Hi, Satish ji,
Wonderful pictures!!!- A close view after all.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 8, 2009, 1:32:45 PM4/8/09
to J.M. Garg, satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
I am told earlier this tree was used in cotton textile industry, probably for making  spindles I am not sure. Any idea?
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road