Rhodiola heterodonta in FOI

J.M. Garg

Jan 16, 2022, 12:58:00 AM1/16/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Saroj Kasaju, Thingnam Girija
Hi, Tabish ji,
Image of Rhodiola heterodonta in FOI by Thingnam ji, is of Rhodiola bupleuroides as per POWO specimen- oneWikimedia Commons, and FOI
Looks different from R.heterodonta as per discussions at Rhodiola heterodonta from Paddar valley J&K
Pl. correct.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tabish

Jan 16, 2022, 8:10:53 AM1/16/22
to efloraofindia
Thanks for the fresh scrutiny Garg ji. The specimen photographed by Girija is in the fruiting stage - it was photographed in August. You can compare the fruits of Rhodiola heterodonta and Rhodiola bupleuroides with the closeup image of the same specimen here:
  Best wishes
  Tabish
v458.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 16, 2022, 8:41:23 AM1/16/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Thingnam Girija, Saroj Kasaju
Flora of China illustrations, which Is have seen earlier, are misleading as they may have been made for their population and for some name which may have been synonymised subsequently. This has caused lot of confusion. Pl. compare with specimens from India in GBIF and POWO, some of which I have already given in the link and in the discussion threads.
Thingnam ji specimen from Valley of Flowers is otherwise also not matching with FoC illustration and matches with other observations from there of Rhodiola bupleuroides, including those in FOI.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Tabish

Jan 16, 2022, 9:20:53 AM1/16/22
to efloraofindia
Garg ji, for example I find Girija's plant very similar to the GBIF image of Rhodiola heterodonta  here:
In addition, the inflorescence of Rhodiola bupleuroides  do not appear as dense as in Girija's images, in whatever images of Rhodiola bupleuroides  I can see.
   Tabish

J.M. Garg

Jan 16, 2022, 9:57:26 AM1/16/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Thingnam Girija
Hi, Tabish ji,
May I Request you to post a high resolution image to see the details.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Tabish

Jan 16, 2022, 10:41:04 AM1/16/22
to efloraofindia
One closeup I already posted. The 2nd image, the one on FOI, is here
   Tabish
v459.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 16, 2022, 11:16:10 AM1/16/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Thingnam Girija, Saroj Kasaju

Tabish

Jan 16, 2022, 11:45:41 AM1/16/22
to efloraofindia
Clearly we all got the same plant from the Valley of Flowers, and everyone seems to have got the fruiting stage. I think you may be right here. I am attaching a close up of flowers we found in another trip in June.
   Cheers!
   Tabish
Rhodiola-p0439.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 16, 2022, 8:31:24 PM1/16/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Thingnam Girija, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Tabish ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg