Request for ID : 230310-AK-1

Aarti S. Khale

Mar 23, 2010, 3:59:30 AM3/23/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Date/Time : 20th of October, 2008
Location Place : on way from Kochi to Munnar ... Altitude :  ... GPS
Habitat : Garden ... Type : cultivated
Plant Habit : Herb ... Height : small plant ... Length
Leaves Type :  ... Shape :as seen  ... Size
Inflorescence Type :  ... Size
Flowers Size : between 1-2 inches ... Colour : white ... Calyx :  ... Bracts
Fruits Type :  ... Shape :  ... Size :  ... Seeds

Other Info :
Fragrance : did not check ...  Pollinator :  ...  Uses

Found these at a place called Farmyard Restaurant on way from Kochi to Munnar.
Very tiny plants yet they were full of flowers & buds.
Saw these in Kochi too.
I think Prashant ji had posted pictures of the same flower from Baroda...not sure.
Aarti

DSCN6317.JPG
DSCN6318.JPG
DSCN6326.JPG
Way to Munnar-DSCN6327 20-Oct-08 2-59-34 PM.JPG

Tabish

Mar 23, 2010, 7:23:38 AM3/23/10
to efloraofindia
Arctic Snow, Winter Cherry Tree, Milky way, Snowflake, Sanskrit:
Kutajah
(Wrightia antidysenterica)
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Arctic%20Snow.html
- Tabish

On Mar 23, 12:59 pm, "Aarti S. Khale" <aarti.kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  *Date/Time* : 20th of October, 2008
> *Location Place* : on way from Kochi to Munnar ... *Altitude* :  ... *GPS*:
> *Habitat* : Garden ... *Type* : cultivated
> *Plant Habit* : Herb ... *Height *: small plant ... *Length* :
> *Leaves Type *:  ... *Shape* :as seen  ... *Size* :
> *Inflorescence Type* :  ... *Size* :
> *Flowers Size* : between 1-2 inches ... *Colour* : white ... *Calyx* :  ...
> *Bracts* :
> *Fruits Type* :  ... *Shape *:  ... *Size* :  ... *Seeds* :
>
> *Other Info* :
> *Fragrance* : did not check ...  *Pollinator* :  ...  *Uses* :

> Found these at a place called Farmyard Restaurant on way from Kochi to
> Munnar.
> Very tiny plants yet they were full of flowers & buds.
> Saw these in Kochi too.
> I think Prashant ji had posted pictures of the same flower from Baroda...not
> sure.
> Aarti
>

>  DSCN6317.JPG
> 79KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN6318.JPG
> 71KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN6326.JPG
> 92KViewDownload
>
>  Way to Munnar-DSCN6327 20-Oct-08 2-59-34 PM.JPG
> 65KViewDownload

tanay bose

Mar 23, 2010, 8:47:57 AM3/23/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Dear Arati Ji,
The plant is Wrightia antidysenterica. The bark of this plant  is used as an adulterant for the well known drug, Holarrhena antidysenterica [Kurchi].
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman

Mar 23, 2010, 9:47:41 AM3/23/10
to efloraofindia
Tanay ji,
is ther a species called W. antidysentrica?? usually Wrightia
tinctoria & W. tomentosa are used as "Sthri kutaja" in Ayurveda..its
not an adulterant too..its a variety..of Kutaja..whereas we take
H.antidysentrica as "Punkutaja"according to the diseases the source of
the drug changes..but i doubt the flowers here..are neither of
W.tinctoria nor W.tomentosa..pls clarify..

On Mar 23, 4:47 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Arati Ji,

> The plant is *Wrightia antidysenterica*. The bark of this plant  is used as
> an adulterant for the well known drug, Holarrhena *antidysenterica*[Kurchi].

tanay bose

Mar 23, 2010, 11:35:33 AM3/23/10
to Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
Dear Hari Ji,
I dont know Ayurveda but i can assure you that Wrightia antidysenterica exists. Checkout from the link and also give a search in Google and you will get more evidences. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrightia_antidysenterica
The bark of  Wrightia antidysenterica  is used as an adulterant for  Holarrhena antidysenterica, to confirm please see the link

Regards
Tanay

Pardeshi S.

Mar 24, 2010, 1:06:17 AM3/24/10
to efloraofindia
it is a medicinal plant in India. The bark possesses anti-microbial
and anti-infammatory properties and therefore the juice extracted from
it is administered for mouth sores. The leaves are used in treating
several skin disorders, psoriasis, nonspecific dermatitis etc. The
bark is used as an adulterant for the well known drug, Holarrhena
antidysenterica. Related species - Wrightia tinctoria.

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/wrightia_antidysenterica.htm

Regards
Satish Pardeshi