[efloraofindia:33915] Shrub for ID | 04May2010AR01

raghu ananth

May 4, 2010, 10:34:06 AM5/4/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Large shrub, narrow green leaves, lanceolate leaf, 6 -8 inches,
Regional name Aiti Guneru (Oleander ? Ornamental, Poisonous ?)
Gunta Madagu area, Mamandur forest, Andhra Pradesh
Habitat: Mid of dry river bed, Pedda eru river, Eastern ghats

Date: 27 Mar 2010 10:10AM

Regards
Raghu

DSC_0472a1.jpg
DSC_0473a2.jpg
DSC_0474a2.jpg
DSC_0475a31.jpg

tanay bose

May 4, 2010, 11:02:28 AM5/4/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Can be some type of Nerium !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2010, 11:07:48 AM5/4/10
to tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tanay
Now don't make such wild guesses? See numerous stamens. Another wild guess though, some Euphorbiaceae.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

May 4, 2010, 11:09:10 AM5/4/10
to Gurcharan Singh, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir its bit hard for me to get hold of it through fuits
Tanay

R. Vijayasankar

May 4, 2010, 12:55:46 PM5/4/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
You got it Gurcharan ji! if i am right, it is Homonoia riparia, an Euphorbiaceae member generally grows along rivulets.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Dinesh Valke

May 4, 2010, 2:07:50 PM5/4/10
to R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Homonoia riparia ♂ ... commonly known as: willow-leaved water croton • Assamese: hil-kadam, tuipui-sulhla • Hindi: शेरनी sherni • Kannada: ಹೊಳೆ ನಗೆ * hole nage, ಣೀರು ಕಣಿಗಳು * niru kanigalu • Khasi: jalangmynrei • Kumaon: kandagar • Malayalam: neervanchi, puzhavanchi • Marathi: रान कणेर raan kaner, शेरणी sherni • Oriya: thotthori • Sanskrit: जलवेतस jalavetasa, क्षुद्रपाषाणभेद kshudrapashanabheda • Tamil: காட்டலரி kattalari • Telugu: అడవి గన్నేరు adavi ganneru

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2010, 10:46:34 PM5/4/10
to Dinesh Valke, R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tanay
My 10 % share in identification, Euphorbiaceae

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 5, 2010, 12:01:41 AM5/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, R. Vijayasankar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vijayasankar ji & Gurcharan Ji,
Thanks for the identifications its completely a new plant to me . Yes Gurcharan ji you do get the credit of 10% for the identification of the family.
Regards
Tanay

Nayan Singh

May 5, 2010, 12:48:22 AM5/5/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
yes Vijaysankar ji, Tanay ji & Gurcharan Singh ji,
 it is Homonoia riparia, it in mostly found in riparian area. we aloso have this plant in Satpura tiger reserve, the female spikes of it is attach for more clearity.
Thanks and Regards
 Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

May 5, 2010, 1:00:14 AM5/5/10
to Nayan Singh, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Vijaysankar ji
Interactions on this group are becoming really interesting in last few days, and productive too.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

rashida atthar

May 5, 2010, 1:14:25 AM5/5/10
to ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, tanay...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nayan ji may I request you to please explain what is a riparian area, How is it different from the rest. Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:18:22 +0530
From: ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:34020] Shrub for ID | 04May2010AR01
To: tanay...@gmail.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com

The latest auto launches and test drives Drag n’ drop

tanay bose

May 5, 2010, 1:21:29 AM5/5/10
to rashida atthar, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nayan ji,
Thanks for confirmation.
Dear Rashida Ji,
You can get a good set of information about riparian zone from the link below...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riparian_zone
Hope it will come to your use.
Regards
Tanay

rashida atthar

May 5, 2010, 1:59:24 AM5/5/10
to tanay...@gmail.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanay ji for posting this informative link, although typical Indian riparian plants are not mentioned, except for two species. We see a lot of Pongam pinnata near the stream in Mumbai forest, but always consider it as a deciduous species.,Would such a species be considered first a riparian species and than a deciduous one or both ? Thanks.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:51:29 +0530

All the post budget analysis and implications Sign up now.

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2010, 2:33:01 AM5/5/10
to rashida atthar, tanay...@gmail.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji
I am getting confused. According to me there should be no contradiction between riparian and deciduous. Former is a habitat along river side, whereas latter is a growing habit. Riparian plants could be predominantly deciduous or evergreen depending on the climatic conditions of  of the area.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

rashida atthar

May 5, 2010, 3:18:32 AM5/5/10
to sing...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou Dr. Gurcharanji. The query was only because we do not generally come across specific classifications such as Deciduous riparian or evergreen riparian and therefore was curious to know the same. So I take it that a species like Pongam pinnata would be more precisely a deciduous riparian.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 12:03:01 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:34035] Shrub for ID | 04May2010AR01
From: sing...@gmail.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: tanay...@gmail.com; ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in; indian...@googlegroups.com

Invest your money wisely post Budget Sign up now.

tanay bose

May 5, 2010, 7:52:44 AM5/5/10
to rashida atthar, sing...@gmail.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully Rashida Ji you got an good elaborated answer from Sirji. Hence I will not confuse you with my description...
Thanks Gurcharan Ji
Regards
Tanay

rashida atthar

May 5, 2010, 10:05:58 AM5/5/10
to tanay...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanay ji. But if your explanation is different from Sirji, I would like to know.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 17:22:44 +0530

Catch the changing security environment Get it now.

tanay bose

May 5, 2010, 10:31:48 AM5/5/10
to rashida atthar, sing...@gmail.com, ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
No not at all it's same as Gurcharan ji