Fwd: Three sets of images

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 22, 2022, 12:10:30 AM11/22/22
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg
Dear Mr. Garg,

Please have a look at the trailing mails.
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Forwarded Conversation
Subject: Three sets of images
------------------------

From: Eveleigh <evel...@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 8:41 AM
To: Saroj Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com>

Dear Saroj,

There seems to be some confusion between P. filipes, P. forbesii and P. malacoides.

Your images are not P. filipes, which is an efarinose perennial with monomorphic (homostyle) flowers, very broad calyx lobes and is a wild species in Nepal.

Though it has been suggested that P. forbesii is a synonym of P. filipes, I disagree. The type sheets for P. forbesii are in Paris.

http://coldb.mnhn.fr/CatalogNumber/MNHN/p/P04567379

http://coldb.mnhn.fr/CatalogNumber/MNHN/p/P04567380

It is easy enough to compare them with P. filipes type sheet from Bhutan  http://specimens.kew.org/herbarium/K000750257

or a better specimen collected earlier by Wallich in Nepal under the name Androsace cordifolia which is synonymous with P. filipes. http://data.nhm.ac.uk/object/5b1520c1-a63e-45d4-8588-6b8eaa606f3c

Franchet, who described P. forbesii, commented that P. malacoides, and especially P. forbesii, resembled Androsace cordifolia (P. filipes) but that the calyx and corolla were very different.

Primula forbesii and P. malacoides are closely related species native to China. They are both heterostylous. Both species have been bred into selected strains and introduced as cultivated plants around the world. Both are biennial and produce copious amounts of seed so that they easily naturalize. I have seen these as potted plants at KATH, Godawari and from images in the wild in Taplejung and Ilam.

P. forbesii and P. malacoides are very similar. See type sheets in Paris for P. malacoides which you can compare with those above for P. forbesii.

http://coldb.mnhn.fr/CatalogNumber/MNHN/p/P04544267

http://coldb.mnhn.fr/CatalogNumber/MNHN/p/P04544286

http://coldb.mnhn.fr/CatalogNumber/MNHN/p/P04544289

http://coldb.mnhn.fr/CatalogNumber/MNHN/p/P04544290

A key difference between P. forbesii and P. malacoides are that the petioles are equal or longer than the length of the blade and the lowest tier of flowers is more or less in line to the leaves in P. malacoides, whereas in P. forbesii , the petioles are short and the lowest tier of flowers is well above the leaves. See the herbarium sheets.

In P. filipes, the petioles are long relative to the blade and there is only a single umbel of flowers barely held above the leaves.

It is probably incorrect to give these plants a species name as they are cultivated and introduced. If I had to make a choice, I would say P. forbesii for the relatively shorter petioles and the flowers held well above the leaves.

Best Wishes,

Pam

From: Saroj Kumar Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, December 26, 2016 at 6:54:17 PM UTC+5:30
Subject: SK272EC226-2016:ID
To: efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>, JM Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

Dear Members,

Location: Nagarkot , Nepal

Altitude:  6400 ft.

Date: 2 March 2014

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Image removed by sender.

----------
From: Saroj Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 9:44 AM
To: Eveleigh <evel...@shaw.ca>

Thank you Pam for making all these clear.

Godawari Garden  seems garden escape / Cultivated : https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/lIXCNocRI5U/m/xny9EvT-AgAJ
Nagarkot sp. is wild : https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/xImW8dMNU_Q/m/eaEJ_rDHAQAJ

So, I should take all these 3 as P. forbesii ??
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

----------
From: eveleigh <evel...@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 9:58 AM
To: Saroj Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com>

Yes, they could all be called P. forbesii though I have seen plants in garden nurseries similar to the more robust one (Includes the white one) as P. malacoides. Confusing! Take your pick 🙂
Best wishes Pam

Sent from my Galaxy

From: Saroj Kasaju <kasaj...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 10:53 AM