Plantain tree (Banana) adapted to the rocky slopes | ID request 07Aug2009AR01

raghu ananth

Aug 7, 2009, 11:33:14 AM8/7/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
We saw this plantain tree (Banana) (Local Name Kallu bal`e meaning stone plantain) variety which seems to have adapted rather well to the rocky hill slopes of Unchalli falls. They grow naturally on their own and appear less than a meter or two.
Tall beautiful  green trees surround the valley (viewed through a binocular) and throw up a landscape so beautiful that will tempt any painter to bring his easel and brush and capture it for posterity on a canvass.

Would like to know the scientific name of this plantain tree species.

Local Name: kallu bal`e (rock Plantain)
Place Unchalli falls, Uttara Kannada, Western ghats
Habitat: Rocky hill slopes.
Date: 23 Jun 2009
Total No's. 10
Coordinates: 14°24'35"N 74°44'52"E

Regards
Raghu

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.
DSC_2714_Unchalli.jpg
DSC_2712_UnchalliFalls.jpg
DSC_2715.jpg
DSC_2736_Unchalli.jpg

satish pardeshi

Aug 8, 2009, 4:46:09 AM8/8/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
this is
Ensete superbum (Roxb.) Cheesm. in Kew. Bull. 1947: 100, 1948, Sharma
et al, Fl. Mah. St. Monocot. 88, 1996; Pradhan et al, Fl. SGNP. 596,
2005.
Synonyms: Musa superba Roxb. Pl. Cor. t. 223. 1811; Baker in Hook. f.,
Fl. Brit. India 6: 261, 1892; Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay 3: 247. 1958
(Repr.). Musa ensete Gmel. (Ensete edule, Horan.) Bailey, Man. Cul.
Plants 286, 1966.
Common name: Abysinian banana, Chavan-kel, Rankel, Chowani, Kawder.
also called Jangli kela or Ran kela.
it is typically found growing along the rocky slopes.

find more info at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensete_superbum
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~drc/esuperbum.htm
http://zipcodezoo.com/Plants/E/Ensete_superbum/

regards
Satish Pardeshi
Consultant Taxonomist

On Aug 7, 8:33 pm, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We saw this plantain tree (Banana) (Local Name Kallu bal`e meaning stone plantain) variety which seems to have adapted rather well to the rocky hill slopes of Unchalli falls. They grow naturally on their own and appear less than a meter or two.
> Tall beautiful  green trees surround the valley (viewed through a binocular) and throw up a landscape so beautiful that will tempt any painter to bring his easel and brush and capture it for posterity on a canvass.
>
> Would like to know the scientific name of this plantain tree species.
>
> Local Name: kallu bal`e (rock Plantain)
> Place Unchalli falls, Uttara Kannada, Western ghats
> Habitat: Rocky hill slopes.
> Date: 23 Jun 2009
> Total No's. 10
> Coordinates: 14°24'35"N 74°44'52"E
>
> Regards
> Raghu
>
>       Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Localhttp://in.local.yahoo.com/
>
>  DSC_2714_Unchalli.jpg
> 219KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_2712_UnchalliFalls.jpg
> 217KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_2715.jpg
> 204KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_2736_Unchalli.jpg
> 215KViewDownload

Madhuri Pejaver

Aug 8, 2009, 8:57:16 AM8/8/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Donot know the sc name.
but banana rhizome is known to break rocks. it is planted in area where the fields are too rocky and after four five yrs you get good soil.
in marathi called Rankeli. see plenty in jungles to go to pune
madhuri