Careya arborea-120410-RK

ranjini kamath

Apr 12, 2010, 3:40:04 AM4/12/10
to indiatreepix
Pictures taken around 9 am on April 4th 2010 in Lalbagh Botanical Park
in Bangalore.The tree looks splendid! I've seen all-white flowers of
Careya arborea in other pics. Would appreciate some information on
this...
Regards
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_7926-ph-4.jpg
IMG_7928-ph-efi2.jpg
IMG_7917-ph2.jpg
IMG_7918-ph2.jpg
IMG_7929-ph.jpg
IMG_7916-ph.jpg

Parjanya guru

Apr 12, 2010, 4:01:12 AM4/12/10
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
...To add little...
The bark yeilds  good fiber.. which, inturn is used to make strong rope in most of the distrcits of Karnataka.But as you see in pic.IMG_7916-ph.jpg, the kannada name is not Goujalu, instead, its" Kaulu".
Thank you Rajaniji for sharing the pic.

Dinesh Valke

Apr 12, 2010, 4:15:08 AM4/12/10
to Parjanya guru, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Careya arborea is commonly known as: patana oak, slow match tree, tummy wood, wild guava • Bengali: কাংবের kamber • Gujarati: ગંગેઠિ gangethi, કુંભ kumbh, કુંભી kumbhi • Hindi: कूम्भी kumbhi, पीलू pilu • Kannada: ಕವಳ kaval • Konkani, in Goa: कोंब्यो kombyo • Malayalam: പേഴ് peezh • Marathi: कुंभी kumbhi • Nepalese: कूम्भी kumbhi • Sanskrit: कुम्भः kumbha, कूम्भी kumbhi, कटभि katabhi • Tamil: ஆவிமா avima, கம்பி kampi, கும்பி kumpi, பேழைமரம் pelaimaram • Telugu: కుమ్భూ kumbhi

Regards.

Satish Chile

Apr 12, 2010, 5:50:11 AM4/12/10
to Dinesh Valke, Parjanya guru, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Dear All
Careya arborea is also called "Bandar Laddu" in Seoni and Balaghat District because the fruits are favorite diet of monkey.
Satish
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

Apr 12, 2010, 8:26:16 AM4/12/10
to Satish Chile, Dinesh Valke, Parjanya guru, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Dear All,
Firstly nice set of photos by Ranjini ji. Adding a paper entile as " Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activities of Careya arborea Roxb. Stem Bark" hope you all will find it interesting and informative.
Regards
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activities of Careya arborea Roxb Stem Bark.pdf

ranjini kamath

Apr 12, 2010, 9:18:22 AM4/12/10
to tanay bose, Satish Chile, Dinesh Valke, Parjanya guru, indiatreepix
Thank you all for the v. interesting additional information &-the kind words.
Regards

On 4/12/10, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
> Firstly nice set of photos by Ranjini ji. Adding a paper entile as "

> *Antimicrobial
> and Antioxidant Activities of Careya arborea Roxb. Stem Bark*" hope you all

>>> --

>>> indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>>> .
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>>>

>> --
>> Dr. Satish Kumar Chile
>>
>> --

>> indiantreepi...@googlegroups.com<indiantreepix%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

tanay bose

Apr 12, 2010, 11:09:55 AM4/12/10
to ranjini kamath, Satish Chile, Dinesh Valke, Parjanya guru, indiatreepix
WELCOME RANJINI JI.. HAPPY TO HELP YOU!!
TANAY

ranjini kamath

Apr 12, 2010, 11:51:52 PM4/12/10
to indiatreepix
Frwrdng this mail to the group.

Apr 13, 2010, 1:07:47 AM4/13/10
to Parjanya guru, indiatreepix
Parjanya ji & all I am aware of the mistakes being
committed-spellings,habitat names,etc of trees in the Lalbagh
Botanical Park.I post these pictures along with pics of boards
whereever possible so others also get the complete picture [ ! ] - as
it were.I have given helpful suggestions whenever & to whoever
possible...with little effect so far...
Regards

Apr 13, 2010, 5:39:36 AM4/13/10
to efloraofindia

Dear members,

its called as Kumbhi in Sanskrit...due to the fruit which resembles a
Kumbha...in the olden days indians sewed clothes with the tough fibres
from the bark of this plant...

Folklore people use the bark of this tree as a leech repellent...i
myself had experienced it once when i was trekking last yr

Thank You

Yazdy Palia

Apr 13, 2010, 2:02:29 PM4/13/10
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Dear Ms. Ranjini Kamath ji,
I entirely agree with Mr. Dinesh Valke ji. it is as he identifies
Careya arborea. Please go through his pictures on flickr .
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Careyaarborea&w=91314344@N00&m=tags
Regards
Yazdy.