Mimosa pudica ?

J.M. Garg

Oct 26, 2009, 11:20:25 PM10/26/09
to indiantreepix

Along roadside in Ponda area of Goa on 29/9/09.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Mimosa pudica is it I2 IMG_2374.jpg
Mimosa pudica is it I IMG_2374.jpg
Mimosa pudica is it I IMG_2376.jpg

Vijayadas D

Oct 26, 2009, 11:34:06 PM10/26/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
ya , this is Mimosa pudica .

Riyadh-11462,PBNO-7210
KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

J.M. Garg

Oct 27, 2009, 12:30:20 AM10/27/09
to Vijayadas D, indiantreepix, Tabish
Thanks, Vijayadas ji.
But I think as far as I remember I didn't feel the sensitivity on touching leaves of similar plants of Mimosa pudica (Sensitive Plant, Touch-me-not, Chui-mui छुई-मुई) as per link
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Touch%20Me%20Not.html

Can there be some reason? This plant was quite commonly seen in Goa alongside the roads.

Vijayadas D

Oct 27, 2009, 1:35:53 AM10/27/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Tabish
Dear all,

Usually Mimosa pudica have its specific seismonastic movment. If your plant not showing , need further study. Any it is  my advice to check that palnts for movments again .

--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

J.M. Garg

Oct 27, 2009, 1:51:24 AM10/27/09
to Vijayadas D, indiantreepix, Tabish
Thanks, Vijayadas ji.
Are there any simlar species not showing seismonastic movment?

Vijayasankar Raman

Oct 27, 2009, 1:51:49 AM10/27/09
to Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Tabish
Deal all,

Insensitivity of leaves and number of leaflets suggest it could be a different species, most probably Mimosa hamata. Pods required to confirm the id.

--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

J.M. Garg

Oct 27, 2009, 10:41:52 AM10/27/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, Vijayadas D, indiantreepix, Tabish
Thanks, Vijayasankar ji for the feedback.
But Mimosa hamata doesn't match w.r.t. 3-6 pinnae & 6-10 pairs of leaflets as per Flowers of Sahyadri, while it matches with Mimosa pudica in this regard. My plant was just hardly seen above the herbs, while I have seen Mimosa hamata as a shrub with considerable heights.

J.M. Garg

Nov 3, 2009, 12:05:53 AM11/3/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, Vijayadas D, indiantreepix, Tabish
Thanks, Vijayasankar ji & Vijayadas ji.
I think it's Mimosa pudica as I saw a similar plant a few days back in Hyderabad.
Sensivity comes only on touching & not taking ones' fingers near it (which possibly I have done in Goa).