Brownea coccinia

rashida atthar

Mar 4, 2009, 2:57:53 AM3/4/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Garg ji,

A couple of Brownea coccinia trees are at Rani Baug, Mumbai. The very fascinating and beautiful flowering of this tree was seen by me on 1st March, '09. I am posting the pics of buds which look like oranges or peaches from a distance. The outer layer of flowering comes first and takes a few days for the entire flower to bloom. The young leaves are without chlorophyll.

regards

Rashida Atthar

MSN Entertainment updates you on the latest blockbusters from Bollywood with MSN News.
buds of Brownea flower.jpg
Brownea First layer of bloom.jpg
Brownea flowering.jpg
few layers f Brownea blooming under canopy.jpg
Full flower of Brownea coccinia.jpg
Full brownea coccinia flower & leaves.jpg
Full brownea coccinia flower & leaves.jpg
Brownea tree young leaves.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 5, 2009, 2:10:41 AM3/5/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is a query from Rashida ji:
"May I request if it is possible to enlighten us on the phenomenon of leaves without chlorophyll as seen in the young leaves of Brownea, Amhertia, mango, nagshekar and so on. Also as I see the families are differrent, Mango is Anacardaceae, whereas Amhertia, Brownea and Saraca asoca are caesalpinaceae although different sub families. There is a short note in 'Trees of Delhi' pg 326 on this. Is there any explanation of this behavior of trees? We will be grareful if you and satish ji or other experts enlighten us on this interesting phenomenon.Thankyou.

with regards,

Rashida Atthar"

2009/3/4 rashida atthar <rashid...@hotmail.com>

--