050409 GI one more for id

Padmanabhan Geetha

Apr 5, 2009, 12:26:49 AM4/5/09
to wildflowerindia, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Friends
This plant too is from the forests of Velliangiri Hills. This and the earlier posted were taken on 29 March. A i have already described the location in the earlier mail, i am not repeating it.This plant had prickles

thanks and best wishes
geetha
P3240017.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 5, 2009, 1:28:08 AM4/5/09
to Padmanabhan Geetha, wildflowerindia, indiantreepix Indian
... just a wild guess - Capparis grandis
Regards.

J.M. Garg

Apr 5, 2009, 6:23:52 AM4/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, Padmanabhan Geetha, indiantreepix Indian
I will like to go with Dinesh ji.
Links for Capparis grandis: http://www.indianaturewatch.net/displayimage.php?id=437 (a pix),

Padmanabhan Geetha

Apr 6, 2009, 1:50:16 AM4/6/09
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Garg ji
I am not so sure that it is C grandis as most of the references i looked up describes  C grandis  to be a tree. This is not a tree i photographed. It was a shrub, a straggler. Would request some more pointers or tips for this.
best wishes
geetha

Tabish

Apr 6, 2009, 3:27:45 AM4/6/09
to indiantreepix
Doesn't look like Capparis grandis. In that plant, the leaves are
supposed to be 2-3 inches long and 1.5-2 inches wide - flowers are
supposed to be 1 inch across. So, clearly the flowers are supposed to
be smaller than the leaves. (unless my information is wrong) In
Geeta's picture, the flower is distinctly larger than the leaves
The only other caper I can think of is Capparis moonii
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Large%20Caper.html
but the leaves of Geeta's plant do not agree well with C. moonii.
So, I would wait for inputs from others.
- Tabish

On Apr 6, 10:50 am, Padmanabhan Geetha <iye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Garg ji
> I am not so sure that it is *C grandis* as most of the references i looked
> up describes  C grandis  to be a tree. This is not a tree i photographed. It
> was a shrub, a straggler. Would request some more pointers or tips for this.
> best wishes
> geetha
>
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I will like to go with Dinesh ji.
> > Links for *Capparis grandis: *
> >http://www.indianaturewatch.net/displayimage.php?id=437(a pix),
>
> > 2009/4/5 Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>
>
> >  ... just a wild guess - *Capparis grandis*
> >> Regards.

> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg
> > "We often ignore the beauty around us"

satish phadke

Apr 6, 2009, 10:18:42 AM4/6/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Dear Geetha
This may be Capparis rheedi
Attaching one of my pictures taken near Belgaon ghat section.
The flower has violet colour with yellow in the centre.
Size significantly larger than that of Capparis grandis.
Unfortunately not carefully observed by me at that time for morphological features.
This family has beautiful flowers with plenty of long stamens.
Thanks for sharing.

2009/4/6 Tabish <tab...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Picture1.jpg

Padmanabhan Geetha

Apr 6, 2009, 10:27:04 AM4/6/09
to satish phadke, Tabish, indiantreepix
Dear Satish ji
I don't think it is C rheedii either. The image i posted earlier in addition to this one has been identified as C rheedii which is distinguishable by the yellow patch in the petals. Also this particular Capparis flower is a large one, much bigger than C rheedii and it does not have any colour other than white.No violet, no yellow.
I agree, these flowers are so very beautiful especially their stamens whose anthers seem to have such gentle colouration.
So the search is on....
thank you and best wishes
geetha

Padmanabhan Geetha

Apr 6, 2009, 10:31:42 AM4/6/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Dear Tabish
I did check flowers of India site but this Capparis of mind is not C moonii (as you have  pointed out) the leaves are not the same.

best wishes
geetha

J.M. Garg

Apr 13, 2009, 5:16:25 AM4/13/09