Hamelia patens_Sept 09_SSN

shubhada nikharge

Oct 4, 2009, 2:37:11 PM10/4/09
to indian tree pix
Hi,
posted a pic of Hamelia patens - a small herb, garden plant.
cheers,
shubhada

Add whatever you love to the Yahoo! India homepage. Try now!
Hamelia patens 2009_1004_sgnp_0009 e.JPG
Hamelia patens 2009_1004_sgnp_0003 e.JPG
Hamelia patens 2009_1004_sgnp_0010 e.JPG

Kenneth Greby

Oct 4, 2009, 3:18:37 PM10/4/09
to indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge
Greetings--

 Not sure how large this gets in your region, but here in Florida, USA, where it is native, it can become a small tree to ca. 5m.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 4, 2009, 3:26:52 PM10/4/09
to Kenneth Greby, indian tree pix, shubhada nikharge

Shubhada ji
Yes it is Hamelia patens, but it has to be a small tree ot shrub, not a small herb.
Hi Kenneth, nice to see your interaction again

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 4, 2009, 3:47:10 PM10/4/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Yes Kenneth, it is very common in Delhi and grows as a small tree up to 3-4 m in height. It, however, may flower even when cut back to smaller height, even in big pots. In fact this is the first plant that I give to my graduate plants to introduce family Rubiaceae: whorled leaves, interpetiolar stipules, inflorescence often depicting panicle, dichasial cyme, and helicoid monochasial cyme in the same plant, and easiest way of studying inferior ovary with axile placentation..

shubhada nikharge

Oct 4, 2009, 10:40:48 PM10/4/09
to Dr Gurcharan Singh, indian tree pix
Gurcharan ji,
thanx. i am sorry. I wrote 'herb' by mistake. It is a shrub. In Sanjay Gandhi National Park it has been used as a fence. I have also seen it growing like a small tree.

Thanx very much for the info on the family. Can u please explain the term - "dichasial cyme, and helicoid monochasial cyme in the same plant"?
cheers,
shubhada

Oct 4, 2009, 11:24:48 PM10/4/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Shubhada ji

This plant generally has a spreading inflorescence which may look like a panicle, with several branches. Some times you may find a central flowers with several branches arising just below it: it is a polychasial cyme then. Primary branches you may find ending in a flower with two opposite branches below: it is a dichasial cyme. All ultimate branches generally have flowers on the same side and tips curling: a monochasial cme. I think I have made myself clear.

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 5, 2009, 12:29:21 AM10/5/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 11:37 AM, shubhada nikharge <shubhada...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

Shbhada ji
Look at the small branch on extreme right (of you). the branch is first ascending, then horizontal, and then curved down dowards at thhe tip of branch, and observe all flowers on the same side of branch. This is helicoid cyme.