HELP IDENTIFY THIS LAMIACEAE MEMBER FROM SRINAGAR

taffa...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2024, 8:54:19 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Members,
Please help identify this highly aromatic plant of Lamiaceae family growing in Rawathpora Srinagar.
Habitat : Wild
Stem about 1.5 meters high falls down under its own weight . Flowers white about 10 mm long and 2-3 mm broad, Calyx and Corolla densely hairy . The lower limb of corolla has 8 teeth and 2mm long hairs at the  the throat. Corolla tube is 8-9mm long.The inner part of the lower lobe has pinkish violet spots(See Photo). Anthers 4,violet and with two distinct lobes (See photo), Style 7-9mm long and bifid.
All photos under CC Licence (Attribution only needed)
Regards
Taffazull
FILAMENTANTHER.JPG
PLANTJUNE25.JPG
INFLORESCENSEANDLEAF.JPG
FLOWERSIDEVIEWX20.JPG
PLANTBJUNE25.JPG
ANTHER AND STYLE26JUNE.JPG
BILOBEDANTHERX50 JUNE26.JPG
FLOWERFRONTX20 PHOTO A.JPG

Jaydip Gadhiya

Jun 27, 2024, 10:26:03 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Sir, Please check Nepeta sp., Lamiaceae.
https://efloraofindia.com/category/species/a-l-d0/l/lamiaceae/nepeta/

Thanks & Regards
Jaydip Gadhiya 🌿

taffa...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2024, 12:01:36 PM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Jaydip Ji,
Thanks for the suggestion
At first sight looks like N.cataria
Would request confirmation from experts
Regards

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 27, 2024, 1:45:09 PM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to eFloraofIndia
Yes it is Nepeta cataria, very common in Srinagar.

taffa...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2024, 1:54:48 PM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
Thanks for confirmation
Regards
Taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2024, 1:33:41 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to eFloraofIndia
A villager informs me that its local Kashmiri name is "Brari Ghas "  literally meaning "cats grass" (Very similar to the European names) and he also told me
that in olden days its crushed leaves  were  given to children as a cure for roundworm (Ascaris)  infestation.

taffa...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2024, 5:36:00 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to eFloraofIndia
To give due credit am posting photo of a villager Mr.Anwar Ahmed from a remote village (Boniyon) of South Kashmir who has given me information about local names and  uses  of some plants posted on this site. He identified Veronica stewarti as Zaw Ghas   literally louse herb because the tiny flowers look like lice , Chenopodium album as kuna , Nepeta cataria as Brari Ghas  literally cat's grass and a Convulvulus Sp as Thaer.  He told me that in olden days  village folk  used roots of Rubia wallichiana  as an abortifacient , seeds of Sisymbrium loeselii  for treating measles and crushed leaves of Nepeta cataria  for treating roundworm infestation in children.
ANWAR.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 28, 2024, 7:12:50 PM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to eFloraofIndia
Thanks Taffazul ji for very useful information.

taffa...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2024, 6:29:21 AM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to eFloraofIndia
Gurcharan Ji has in his list of Kashmiri names of plants mentioned Gandh Soi  literally meaning "fragrant nettle" as one of the Kashmiri names of catnip. It could refer to the nettle like aromatic leaves of the plant.
Regards
Taffazull

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 30, 2024, 10:50:02 AM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to eFloraofIndia
Gand in Kashmiri I thought is bad smell not fragrance Taffazul ji, fragrance is khushbu.

taffa...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2024, 2:47:54 AM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to eFloraofIndia
Sir I think in old Kashmiri gandh may have meant fragrant. In Kashmir early spring when fragrance of flowers fills the air is called "gandh bahar" . Its roots may be same as in the very fragrant flower Rajnigandha  (Tuberose)perhaps from Sanskrit. This is my guess but in either case it perhaps refers to the aroma of its leaves. Whether it is perceived as good or bad might be something subjective. Khushbu is I think not a typical Kashmiri word but perhaps a recent introduction from Urdu.
Regards